V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

M112 Installation, FAQ, & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Default M112 Installation, FAQ, & Discussion

This was originally designed to be just for my car. When on the track, by biggest weak point was getting out of the corners and up to speed again. I was hoping to use the M90 - but as we all know, it doesn't work on 99-04 V6 cars due to the different heads used. The M112 was the obvious next choice. I wanted positive displacement for it's low rmp power abilities. I didn't need top end, I needed to get up and go fast. Centri blowers and turbo kits didn't offer what I needed.

I was with another guy who was making a custom lower - but that failed beyond all hope. The failures I watched showed me a lot, though. And I drew up a very basic set up that mounted the Cobra's M112 to the v6 motor. My goals in making it for others:

1: Make it easy to do - something someone could do in their driveway with hand tools.

2: Retain all pollution control.

3: Retain stock fuel rail and lower intake. I didn't want to mess with a custom fuel rail or re-running cooling lines if I didn't have to.

What I came up with was a boxed upper intake that mounts between the M112 and the stock split port lower intake. It uses the entire air inlet of the Cobra all the way to the blower.
It took several years of testing (and failing) to make something that really works well. With a basic bolt on blower set up, the 3.8L will double it's stock hp.

Fuel upgrades needed are the SVT Focus 310lph fuel pump, stock 39 lb Cobra injectors and the Cobra MAF. All the stock 03/04 Cobra air intake (or any 03/04 Cobra aftermarket cai) will work.

You will need a new hood, or cut a hole in the stock one. The blower is very large, and sticks up very high.

Biggest things people point out as negatives are:

1: Heat from the blower. Yes, there is heat... but not like what people see when they try to match undersized blowers to big motors. There is no heat soak issue with this set up no matter what people will say. I have yet to meet anyone running the M112 on a V6 who has heat issues.

2: Cost of buying a hood. With the full M112 Kit priced at $2800, adding a hood still makes it cheaper than most of the similar blower kits.

Biggest positives:

1: Instant power. No spool time, or having to wait for high RPMs to get your power. The torque curve is a flat line, and at full power by 2500 RPM. Think about the RPM range you arein most of the time. Are you driving at 3500+ RPM, or between 1000- 3000 RPM most of the time?

2: Growing room. The M112 is a huge blower for such a small motor. They are good to 18psi or more, and will provide enough power for 90% of the V6 owners who are using them.

Places to get the M112 set up:
I sent a version to Super Six Motorsports. They have made it a bit taller, and sell JUST the intake on their website.

I make the intake that is shorter. Mine fits under most 2 1/2" cowl hoods. I also make the intakes that are sold in the MySteed Performance kits for $2800. You can PM me for info on how to contact him for the full kit.

and for some visual aides...

Intake on the motor:

From the front, you can see how close it sits to the fuel rail, ERG inlet and coolant lines:

On my car (note that I was using the stock V6 airbox rigged with the cobra MAF due to losing my Cobra air box when I had it on the car for these pics. also rigged my throttle cable bracket since I lost that as well. note to self, always keep junk in a labled box for later.):

Fixing a belt alignment issue at a show:

After the paint/port job:

Last edited by LilRoush; 01-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 AM
ooterman
2nd Gear Member

Here is some more info that I know, feel free to add/remove/delete as you see fit.

As for Hoods you can use the Mach 1, Cobra R, 2 1/2'' and up Cowl hoods.

This set up will not work for the 96-98 single ports unless they do the split port conversion. If you want to not do that swap then go the M90 route.

As with all F/I you will need to get a tuner and a tune.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Correct, this is for split port 3.8L/4.2L cars and trucks. (Mustang, Windstar, F150)

The 2 1/2" hood depends on who makes that hood, and which upper intake you use.
The cowl height is measured at the back, and the high point is the blower snout up front. My R hood works fine, but some of the other 2 1/2" cowls have needed to be adjusted for.

**All hoods will need to be trimmed at the back (along the firewall) to clear the inlet plenum (between the throttle body and the blower itself). **

This gives you an idea of how high the snout sticks up:

With the Mach 1 hood:

Derrick's car to show not all cowls have the same rise to them:

Jon's car to show a hole cut in the cowl, then covered with a scoop. Jon is runnig the taller Super Six intake.

Stock hood cut to fit the Super Six intake:

Tom's is a similar height to what the MySteed Performance kit offers and is using the stock hood.

I'll work at getting more pics up soon.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Shaunmac9128
6th Gear Member

So matt, when you say you worked with this stuff...did you help design it? Or work with ssm or some other company? I'm just curious, thats really impressive lol obviously it would be to me though
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I designed it and did most of the testing/prototyping etc... Then I sent the design to SSM hoping we could work out a deal. They made one and sent it to Nathan (MySteed). Nathan helped work out more of the bugs. Then SSM kinda of split from myself and Nathan. There have been several versions that I had to test out to see what worked and didn't work. Took several months of reading and researching to find the right metal combination to suit the application. Took a lot of work to figure out airflow characteristics (my avaition background helped to figure that out).
It's not really a money making venture by any means. It's pretty much put together and sold at cost. Nathan and I are doing it for fun as a side gig. We are both v6 guys, and love to see other owners modding and being happy with that cars they have. I like to help guys (and girls) build cars to suit them. Several times I've turned people away from the M112 set up in favor of a set up that would suit them better. So please don't think I'm just hear to pitch my ideas. Derrick and I have this thread because there are so many rumors and wrong 'facts' floating around. We figured it's better to get it right from the horses mouth (no pun intended).
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Do I need to go snag some of the threads from other sites showing examples of the great disbelief???????? lol
Old 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
alkureg
2nd Gear Member

so what would make the m112 a better choice than a centrifugal or turbo charger?

i mean is it best for the track racing like you talked about or would drag racing 6's benefit enough to choose this setup?
how about for a daily driver that wants more power but also reliability?
how is mileage affected?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

The M112 is the most efficient setup you can run, mainly due to cost, and maintenance. It works for road course, drag strip, and dd use. On a road course it's superior to centrifugal and turbo due to lack of lag time and not having to keep it spooled up, same as with dd use, you don;t have to worry about spooling up bad in traffic and losing control.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Few have reported a loss of 1 mpg on average, while some have reported improved mpg.
I would say it's not going to be much either way.
Like Ryan said, this set up makes its power from idle and has full torque by 2500 rpm. If you compare that to what you see with a centri set up or a typical turbo set up, you'll see equal power, just alot sooner from a positive displacement blower.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Hmmmmmm....

where have I seen this intake at lately????

Oh yeah, on my living room floor!!!!

Quick Reply: M112 Installation, FAQ, & Discussion