V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Selling my car - '99 V6 vert price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 PM
ShaneS429

Default Selling my car - '99 V6 vert price?

So I recently joined these forums after buying my '99 V6 back in April after being rear ended at a stoplight.

When I bought my Mustang, it was more out of necessity than desire. Don't get me wrong, the car is beautiful, but at the time I really needed something right away to get me to school. Just so happens, the Mustang was the best listing in terms of condition, price, mileage, etc at the time.

After having the car for a while, two things are making me leaning towards selling the car.

1. Convertible. I live in northern Illinois and these winters can get pretty bad. My mom and dad park in the garage and I'd have to leave my Mustang outside through all the snow and weather, not to mention it being a daily driver for school and work.

I've read that snow and ice isn't really a problem for the convertibles as long as I make sure I clean it off regularly and maintain it, but I am still hesitant.

2. Gas mileage. Going in, I thought the mustang go at least 20mpg which isn't even close to what I am seeing. I get 15mpg if I'm lucky and I think that is the estimated city mpg anyways. I don't drive it aggressive as I actively try not to even break 2k rpm when accelerating. At this point, I'm filling up every 1-2 weeks for about $30+. When I start school, I assume I'd be filling up every week. And since I'm only working part-time making maybe $400 a month, I can't justify having a car where 25%-30% of my paychecks go just to gas.

Extra reason, I want a manual transmission car. But that's not a huge selling point.

All that being said, I think it means I must sell my car. If people could give me some good feedback as to a reasonable price or tell me if my estimate is good, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here are the specs:

1999 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible
Automatic Transmission
60250 miles

Standard cloth interior
Power Steering, Windows, Locks
Tilt Wheel
Non-Mach Audio System
Cruise Control
Driver Power Seat
Rear Spoiler
Keyless Entry
Alarm
Remote Trunk Release
Auto starter

I've done the KBB for my car for private seller value, and would consider my car to be in excellent condition. The previous owner used this as strictly a summer car and stored it in the winters thus there are very very little marks on the car.

The Excellent condition pricing is $6,005 and the Good condition pricing is $5,580.

I paid $5,600 for the car after talking the previous owner down. I was thinking of listing the car for $5,800 to split the difference between the Good and Excellent prices. Would this seem like a good price? Too low, too high? could I maybe bump it up $100-$200 with the keyless entry, alarm, and remote start?

Here are some pictures to go with the description.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
scott679505

nice looking car always have liked the tan convert. tops sell it here in fla. for a grand more.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:21 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Whelp even though age is against you everything else is for you.

List it at retail, not private and see who bites.
You have a couple months before the weather turns.

Being that it is 11 years old most people wont have financing for it so if they have the cash for it they will pay it.

As for your fuel economy, something is wrong there.
I average over 21 or 22 in town and about 29 or 30 on the hiway in my 01' auto coupe.

The first thing you should do is take it to a local Ford dealer and have them change the oil, rotate the tires and do a full "point" inspection on the car for you. It will be about $30-45 dollars.

Even if you know how to change the oil (Which I am sure you do) you are doing this for the checklist so that you can show people that it has been service at the dealer and has a perfect checklist behind it.

Its a big help when trying to sell a car.

Also while its in there you might want to have them run a diagnostic on it to see why your fuel economy is down.

Good luck with your car, you only have age against it so I dont see why you could at least break even.

-Eric-
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Oh another thing...

List it on Ebay Classifieds. Its free and easy and you get a free partial autocheck which scores your car against others on ebay.

This way people can see how nice yours is, how much your asking and how it comps to other V6 verts in that price range.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Richbrad08
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneS429
So I recently joined these forums after buying my '99 V6 back in April after being rear ended at a stoplight.

When I bought my Mustang, it was more out of necessity than desire. Don't get me wrong, the car is beautiful, but at the time I really needed something right away to get me to school. Just so happens, the Mustang was the best listing in terms of condition, price, mileage, etc at the time.

After having the car for a while, two things are making me leaning towards selling the car.

1. Convertible. I live in northern Illinois and these winters can get pretty bad. My mom and dad park in the garage and I'd have to leave my Mustang outside through all the snow and weather, not to mention it being a daily driver for school and work.

I've read that snow and ice isn't really a problem for the convertibles as long as I make sure I clean it off regularly and maintain it, but I am still hesitant.

2. Gas mileage. Going in, I thought the mustang go at least 20mpg which isn't even close to what I am seeing. I get 15mpg if I'm lucky and I think that is the estimated city mpg anyways. I don't drive it aggressive as I actively try not to even break 2k rpm when accelerating. At this point, I'm filling up every 1-2 weeks for about $30+. When I start school, I assume I'd be filling up every week. And since I'm only working part-time making maybe $400 a month, I can't justify having a car where 25%-30% of my paychecks go just to gas.

Extra reason, I want a manual transmission car. But that's not a huge selling point.

All that being said, I think it means I must sell my car. If people could give me some good feedback as to a reasonable price or tell me if my estimate is good, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here are the specs:

1999 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible
Automatic Transmission
60250 miles

Standard cloth interior
Power Steering, Windows, Locks
Tilt Wheel
Non-Mach Audio System
Cruise Control
Driver Power Seat
Rear Spoiler
Keyless Entry
Alarm
Remote Trunk Release
Auto starter

I've done the KBB for my car for private seller value, and would consider my car to be in excellent condition. The previous owner used this as strictly a summer car and stored it in the winters thus there are very very little marks on the car.

The Excellent condition pricing is $6,005 and the Good condition pricing is $5,580.

I paid $5,600 for the car after talking the previous owner down. I was thinking of listing the car for $5,800 to split the difference between the Good and Excellent prices. Would this seem like a good price? Too low, too high? could I maybe bump it up $100-$200 with the keyless entry, alarm, and remote start?

]
i thought when they do mpg they use the base models. and since yours being an auto that 2mpg less and a convertible weights more so it not going to get what a 5-speed coupe will get. i had a 5 speed 00 vert and i got 22 in the city and 29 sometimes 32 on the highway
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
ShaneS429

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated.

I will see about listing it on AutoTrader and Craigslist most likely, I've never really dealt with Ebay Motors Classifieds so I'll have to check that out.

After doing just a general search last night, I was seeing other 99' V6 Verts going for about $6500-$7000 with more mileage than my car and in the same general shape. I'm thinking $6500 would be a good starting point. That way even if I get offered say $6,000, I'd be making good.

Any other advice?

I'll keep this updated with how everything goes.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

nice car man.. you should be able to get your asking price..
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
ShaneS429

Forgot to mention that the tires on the car are getting pretty worn as well. Would it be a good idea to list the car at a given price, then offer to buy new tires and take that off the final cost?

The car will definitely need new tires before the winter hits if this is going to be used by someone over the winter.

Edit: I have listed my car on Cars.com and Ebay Motors for $6,750 OBO. Hopefully I can get someone to jump on this.

Last edited by ShaneS429; 08-05-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

if it passes inspection with the tires that are currently on it then i wouldnt worry too much about it. if you are really worried, then get some tires for cheap and throw them in. good luck. is there another mustang in the near future?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
ShaneS429

There is no plans for a mustang in the near future. Newer ones would cost too much fort me to afford and insurance would be too high as well.

Quick Reply: Selling my car - '99 V6 vert price?