V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Knock in my engine :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 PM
laurieann

Default Knock in my engine :(

I have a 97 convertible I picked up for $ 1,200 knowing she was going to need engine work, but i had to have her . My plan is to replace the engine, I picked up a parts car w/ a good running V6 to rebuild and drop in.
I'm not so sure now, I would love to buy a V8 crate motor and go all out, but thats a huge project and a lot of money. I keep thinking if I'm going to remove the engine why not replace it with what I really want. Just how big of a project is it going to be? Should I leave her a V6 w/ improvements or should I go for it ?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:24 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Well its an easy swap if you just find yourself a low mile wrecked GT or Cobra vert.
Just swap the parts as you go.

The easiest way of course to get her back on the road is buy another V6.

You can do a splitport swap for a little more and have an engine that gives you an extra 40hp and a much more reliable engine that doesnt have the widespread problems that the singleports have.

Just search splitport swap and you will find everything you need to do for the swap.
Its far easier than a V8 swap but a little more involved than a singleport drop in.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
laurieann

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Well its an easy swap if you just find yourself a low mile wrecked GT or Cobra vert.

You can do a splitport swap for a little more and have an engine that gives you an extra 40hp and a much more reliable engine that doesnt have the widespread problems that the singleports have.

Just search splitport swap and you will find everything you need to do for the swap.
Its far easier than a V8 swap but a little more involved than a singleport drop in.

Thanks for the info, I did some searching and found an old post from you I believe. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I've been looking for a wrecked GT, I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm going to keep looking, I don't plan on doing anything until this winter, if I don't find what I'm looking for by then I'm going to do the split port swap.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

I'm gonna say its not "easy" for most people...
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
laurieann

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo

Well I did it, I picked up a 94 Mustang GT with a 5.0 with GT 40 heads???(not sure what these are) and with under-drive pulleys. Any tips or suggestion would be appreciated !!!