V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

My new '98 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
What part of De???
The same part that I live in. We won't kick Jack out of the house til he graduates.

In terms of the wheel color, Jack had said he wanted to paint them the dark gray as used on the 2008 Bullitt Mustangs (since his car is dark green), but he & I agree that the silver looks good on the dark body color. He may keep them as-is. But for only $100 (wheels & tires) he couldn't say "no". It turns out the wheels were being sold on CraigsList by a member here who only lives 20 minutes away.

In terms of the exhaust, I figured we'd go divorced duals - probably Thrush brand mufflers with GT tips out the back. We need to drop the tranny for a rebuild first though.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
The same part that I live in. We won't kick Jack out of the house til he graduates.
Damn! Had no idea that is Jack's SN95
Old 03-08-2011, 03:47 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

The only visual issue that I can see is the headlights are slightly fogged up. They don't look bad though, usually WAY worse than that for how old the car is. Someone took care of her, that's a good sign.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Nice clean car! My headlights were fogged up, waiting ont the Ups guy to deliver my new ones, and my missing pony emblem. Had a few little things to do to my car, thats a good looking car, hope you enjoyt it. Had mine not quite 2 weeks now, starting to really like the car. Fun to drive but isnt too thirsty.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yep only downside to the sn-95 sixers is their power, or lack there up, but their improved mpg efficiency for such an old car is a big upside, especially right now.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Yep only downside to the sn-95 sixers is their power, or lack there up, but their improved mpg efficiency for such an old car is a big upside, especially right now.
M90 swap will change the no power thing real quick
Old 03-11-2011, 02:11 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

But the M-90 swap isn't exactly simple and requires a nice chunk of money and time.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by mustangman02232
M90 swap will change the no power thing real quick
Jack & I are thinking of doing a ported split-port swap, with cam - nothing too wild. The idea is this will be a reliable DD that he can learn to work on.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Since my previous post, we've gotten a few things done to the car:
  • The T-5 was rebuilt and a RAM HDX clutch was installed. Fourth gear was gone when we bought it (a project car for sure!). The car shifts so smoothly now. Although I had intended to do this at home, we decided to farm it out locally.
  • Dual exhaust was cut into the factory Y-pipe after the cats. An H-pipe went in, along with Thrush Welded series mufflers and turn-downs at the bumper. It looks and sounds great now.
  • Smaller 25mm hub-centric spacers replaced the 35's to draw the wheels in slightly in the back, and 1/4" spacers were added up front to push out the S197 Bullitts.
  • A Kenwood radio replaced the OEM one.

Jack finished his Freshman year of HS on the honor roll, and rather than have him work an outside job we are bribing him to get good grades. He used that money on the American Muscle website to get a Cervini's Cobra R hood and a Cobra bumper. He and I installed those a week or so ago. He also needed a new headlight nose panel to replace the one that was busted in a prior accident. I let him do most of the work -

The raised Cervini's hood was required for the project ahead. We picked up all of the parts for a splitport (99-up) head swap, along with a Windstar intake (that's what is cluttering up my workbench!). The intake is taller, requiring the add'l hood clearance. We will have the heads ported locally. We haven't decided on a camshaft grind yet, but we plan to keep the car N/A. Performance goals are for 230ish rwhp for the 3.8L, which should be fine for our purposes.

As of last week, the car was 3 colors - green body, white hood, and black bumper. Here it sits at the body shop awaiting paint -

Since the paint is starting to fail on the roof and quarters, the whole car will be repainted back to factory paint code #FU - Dark Green Satin Metallic. I'm using the same shop that painted Bacon. Here are a couple of pictures from last Friday -

More pictures will be posted as the car comes together...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

H/C/I will get your 230rwhp goal.

Quick Reply: My new '98 coupe