V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

My 98 Project Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Default My 98 Project Daily Driver

Well I have owned this car for 4 days now. Put 500 miles on it, so far is seems like a good solid ride, paid $3200, Had someone at my bank appraise the car, he said it was worth $4500 (yeah, right). I will post pics tomorrow. Now im looking at briging the car up to speed. Today I changed the oil, serpentine belt, and fluches the radiator. In the next couple weeks I am going to change the headlights, they aro not aligned properly and have a couple of the clips that hold them in place broke off. Also within the nest month I will replace the plugs, wires, and filters.

Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

As promised, pics:

You will notice the headlights have tape on them, (REDNECK) they are ouf of place, the little plactic clips that hopd them in are broke, new lights are n their way. Also the grille emblem is missing, thats also on the way.

Engine needs a little cleaning, I may paint the intake manifold soon. Id like to paint the brackets where the paint has peeled, but that is more trouble than its worth.

The inside, WAS VERY clean, pardon my dirt, I have been in and out many times in the last couple days. Also pardon my wire collection, using the tape deck with one of those little tapes with the AUX wire in it for my MP3 player, waiting on my sattelite radio to get here. Also have wires running for the GPS. They look tacky but dont know what I can do.

So for now im waiting on parts, picked up a fuel filter today, may install it tomorrow. Looking into spark plugs and wires now.

What are the best plugs to use? I have HEARD that Botsch single prong platinums are good plugs to use. $2.89 per plug. Not bad. Any opinions?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 PM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

you will be told not to go with bosch.... i found out after i went with wires and plugs....... plugs made car run horrible i now have bosch wires and motorcraft plugs they have work just fine for me... most here like NGK plugs..... next to try for me. nice car though looks clean!!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Hm...........interesting. Guess ill try the NGK plugs then.

And thanks, really got into a pickle and had to get a ride, needs a little TLC but so far (600 miles in a week) it has proven to be a good running solid car with no leaks and everything works perfectly. The radiator was NASTY but after a good flush its clean. Looking now to maximize fuel economy. The only thing I have found bad is that the car did suffer a frontal crash, seemed to do some pretty nasty damage to the header panel, but the airbags werent deployed so im guessing it took a hit above the bumper.

The car now has 99,300 miles on it. Starting so see just how many miles I can squeeze out of a tank of gas, played around the first tank, now I have been throttling back to 65mpg. On 14 gallons of aggressive driving the car went 340 miles. Thats a 24.2mpg average, did quite a bit of aggresive in town driving, so that helped the car burn more fuel, and drove 75mph out on the road. Easy driving and slowing to 65 Im hoping to make a difference. Also Id like to think my mod list will improve mileage. (CAI, Duals, SCT) Paid $3.47 for gas today. My friend has a Honda and brags about his 35MPG, But I laugh everytime I pass him and he sits there helpless. Even a baby (V6) muscle car beats a Honda anyday.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:04 AM
82T-Top
2nd Gear Member

for sure hold out on the bosch wires b/c on interstate goin like 75 and the occasional 80..85 until i realize that duct taped bodykit could fly off the rice infront at anytime ..... i was getting like 22mpgs.... lol i wasnt rompin on it i would just climb the speed ladder and set cruise for a bit and i would have to think that isnt very good because i checked mpg in my gf's 5spd gt anc hers got 21.7 give or take .1
Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Yup, NGK or Motorcraft.

Nice stang, now spend a few loving days detailing her.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:03 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Very nice find!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Not sure whats up with the door, It doenst look that way in person, just the pic. Went outside today and looked and looked, if you look at it a the right andgle it looks just a hair different than the quarter panel, no clues why, the entire car was painted within the last 6 months. Not sure why it looks that way. Honestly unless you are at a precise angle, in person it isnt noticeable.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yep NGK or motorcraft, stay the f*ck away from Bosch. As I've stated a million times on here, any part I've had that was Bosch failed prematurely. So far it's been a fuel pressure regulator, spark plug wires, spark plugs, alternator, and ignition coil...all garbage!!!

For wires just go to autozone and buy some Accell (if you want color) or motor craft.

For the head lights just get OEM replacements, aftermarket lights are a pain in the ****, just trust me on this. The OEM replacements will come with everything you need to install them. Also, be careful when tightening down the nuts that hold the turning lights in place, if you over tighten them you will crack the plastic headlight housing which, while straight forward to install, is a pain in the *** because it requires the front bumper to be removed too.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Ordered OEM lights yesterday. Also ordered the Grill emblem, and a Sattelite radio. And have a Wix fuel filter that I havent got to install yet. Plugs/wires are next.

Quick Reply: My 98 Project Daily Driver