V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

New owner, new member, new poster

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
James01stang

Default New owner, new member, new poster

So I just got a 2001 Mustang 3.8L, nothing fancy, but a good start to my dream. This car was previously owned by someone who didn't care about the car at all. The interior is shot, the exterior needs work, and the engine looks like it hasn't seen any love at all. So, I am going to resurrect this beauty, but its gonna take some time and I am sure I am going to need some help. The first most important problem that I am having at the moment is my engine sputters and bogs down in low rpms. It idles fine at 900 rpms, runs fine, but when there is a load in a low gear at low rpms, the engine sputters and bogs down. I am going to change the plugs tonight and run an octane booster through the fuel and see if that helps. My next move, if this doesn't help, is to check the timing, mass airflow sensor, then on to the fuel pump. I am hoping that it won't get that far, but considering the condition the car is in, I would not be surprised. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please, let me know. I am new to the mustang world, but not new to engines or mechanics. I am very open to ideas and opinions.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

Run some seafoam through the gas, oil and intake.

While at the parts store throw a scanner on and check for codes.
Fix any related issues to the codes.

Next tackle the ignition system.

Replace the spark plugs with some quality NGK's like TR55GP
Check the plug wires for burns, splits, cracked boots and whatnot. Replace all if you see problems.
Replace the ignition coil with an OEM one or a Borg Warner, the Borg Warner has a lifetime warranty and mine has done great over the last two years.

Next be sure to replace the Fuel Filter

Replace your air filter and clean your MAF with MAF cleaner.

Change your oil and filter if you have not yet.

Check your Serp belt for cracking and fraying, replace if badly cracked or frayed.

Thats just some of the first things that you do, there is a lot more but thats a great start.