V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Getting discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 AM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting discouraged

Howdy guys hope all is well for all of y'all. If you couldn't tell I'm kinda new on the forums, and I have a problem. Mainly is it all worth it? I of course have a 2000 v6. I've put a lot of money into her especially with my exhaust. She sounds about as good as a sixbanger can get. Sure she has some bad paint but its ford what can you do it was and is my first car. But I've gotten to the point of what's the point? Sure it'd be a great driver and soon in the future i will look for a v8. I want to the local coffee and cars in it and as I was leaving, mind you I left out the back and didn't even put the car on display, I heard a couple of people saying awe it's a v6 or the like. So why upgrade? I know it's what makes me happy but jeez when that's what people think of a v6... So I'm not sure what to do. I was saving up for new fr500 wheels but even that might be tossed aside. I want to keep her because its my first car and nothing will ever bet a mustang but...

Thanks for all of y'all's help and go coogs
Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The first (and sometimes hardest) lesson to learn is don't make a car to have others like it. Make it for you. I've hit that same point with several cars. Have fun and then move on when the time comes. A worse feeling is watching is waste away or become a stressful thing instead of a fun hobby. I had my V6 for over a decade. While I was into it, it was a BLAST. Nothing was more fun than that car when it was running. I got to a point where it was a headache and a money pit. I found a new car to fall in love with and moved on. Even now, that replacement has fallen second (or third) to new life priorities. It happens as time goes on. It's not a bad thing.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Don't mess with worrying about what others think!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Exactly as Roush said. Don't dump money into a car that turns into a money pit. We all learned this the excessively hard way, and sure it was "fun while it lasted" but looking back I'd sure like to have that money back.

Here's my "older" philosophy, if it doesn't come the way "I" want it from the factory, or at least close to it (and by close I mean can I make it "MY" way for $2000 or less) then I'm not getting it. All that aftermarket crap is just that, crap. Sure it's cool and all to mod a car and make it your own, but by the end of the day it's just that a modded car to YOUR LIKING, which as you guessed it, brings ZERO resell value. Oh and those parts you wasted money on only carry around 30-50% value when trying to resell.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

People mod for resale value? No. OP, really, don't worry about what others say about a v6. I have one and wouldn't take any flack about it.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Mobiusone stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. Im not looking to make this a "project" car. I just want it to become a good everyday driver honestly. The last thing I'm probably going to do is put wheels on it and the raxiom sequential turn signal. Thats about it. I mean im a college kid who dosent have much time for a job so i have little money. But man when i do something I get ecstatic. Man when i put the duel exhaust on i was over the moon. Man i just need to buy a fox body so when people say aw you have a v6 i can tell them i have a v8 too. thanks for the help guys
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Here's some good advice for somebody that's a just a few years beyond college......SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Nuff said.

Believe me I know all too well how "nice" it feels to do something to a car, however, you're young, and lets be perfectly honest here. Odds are extremely likely that you will not have this car in 5 years. Granted, I know at your age 5 years seems like an eternity, however, it's really not. Use your money for things you NEED not things you want. That way, with the money you've saved up rather than literally wasting on an old you can afford a nice down payment on a newer car or even a nice house or apartment should you have to move when you find work. Enjoy college cause in a couple of years it's gonna get real and fast and nothing is better than having a bank account with a few extra dollars in there when that day comes and you really need it. Keep in mind, in 5 years the current gen Mustang will be a "thing of the past" and you could likely snag one for under 20K
Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jthorn9
Here's some good advice for somebody that's a just a few years beyond college......SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!

Nuff said.

Believe me I know all too well how "nice" it feels to do something to a car, however, you're young, and lets be perfectly honest here. Odds are extremely likely that you will not have this car in 5 years. Granted, I know at your age 5 years seems like an eternity, however, it's really not. Use your money for things you NEED not things you want. That way, with the money you've saved up rather than literally wasting on an old you can afford a nice down payment on a newer car or even a nice house or apartment should you have to move when you find work. Enjoy college cause in a couple of years it's gonna get real and fast and nothing is better than having a bank account with a few extra dollars in there when that day comes and you really need it. Keep in mind, in 5 years the current gen Mustang will be a "thing of the past" and you could likely snag one for under 20K
That is some good advice. OP your mistake was worrying about what others think. If you try to please others (and not just the car) you will be a very unhappy person.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 PM
cjsdad23

I own 2 v6 mustangs and i love when people say stuff like that cuz i dump more money into the motor and not so much looks so when i blow by them in it i ask so what was that you were saying? Now i am not saying i will blow by a gt500 yet but gts and 5.0 i got it... I find it very funny how people talk crap about 6cyl but i dont see very many cars beating any supras wich are straight 6. Now i do love all mustangs i just find it funny how people act so rude.. To me a mustang is a mustang no matter what model.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Build it for you, cars are hobbys and hobbys cost money.... And the best vehicle you can have is one you have the title to

Quick Reply: Getting discouraged