Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got my GT bumper. Anyone installed before? Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default Just got my GT bumper. Anyone installed before? Need help.

First let me relay my experience with Mike at Cascotech. I won the ebay auction for the rear bumper cover. Three days later I'm unpacking the box in my garage. Very fast shipping! He's in MI and I'm in TN. Anyway, I get it open and my heart drops. It's the wrong color. Yes everything was done right on my part but it was just human error. Anyway, less than a week later I have the replacement part plus some additional and unexpected items. I dont want to give it away because Barb and Mike went over and above to make me satisfied and the terms were circumstantial to my experience. Anyway all I can say is bid with confidence at Cascotech.

Now for my real question.

Now that I have the rear bumper, how hard is it to install? I have an exploded view from one of Afixer's post and it is helpful but only to a point. I want to know if all the parts used to attach the bumper are reusable or do I need to pick up some replacement body pins etc. And any other info would be appreciated.

If I don't do the install myself, I have a p&b shop that will do the install for $60.00 I just don't want to throw that money away if this is a simple job.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:57 AM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just got my GT bumper. Anyone installed before? Need help.

I paid my local guy $50 bucks to do the install of my GT rear bumper. I'm sure I could have done myself, But I didn't have a pop rivet gun to reattach the two stiffener bars. Besides, it's dead winter here and they have a warm shop. I guess I just figuired they've done it enough times to do it three times faster than I could. Either way, it'll look great!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:03 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

I installed it myself. Its not too bad, but you need the instructions to get all the appropriate buttons/plastic nails out. I'll send them to you if you want. the only hard part is getting the electric bracket out of the inside of the stock one and onto the new one. If i were you, i'd take the trouble myself and do it rather than risk a body shop doing a sh*tty job.

yes, definitely do it yourself. plus you can look at it when ur done and go, hey, i did that!

just let me know if you want the instructions.

oh yeah, and about the pop rivet gun, i just snapped the rivets off with a rivet clamp and then put a bolt with washer and nut in its place. the rivets are the only PITA about this job actually. [:'(]
Old 03-02-2006, 02:21 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

yes, i also did the install on my front and rear bumper as well and had no prior experience and it went particularly well. For some reason the front took longer than the back..... the rear bumper took me about 1 hr to do.. just have a drill and (nuts and bolts) handy to replace to the rivets that you drill out.. but yea definitely get those isntructions from Will_c

also just remember to take your time.. i mean $60 for a shop to do it really isnt that bad.... but if you have a hr of your time to dedicate to the isntallation you can take care of it yourself
Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
moebeeone

Could I get the instructions your offering. My takeoffs arrive tomorrow and I would like to know what it will entale and any necessary hardware I may need beforehand to make the install as painless as possible.

my e-mail is moebeeone@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Moe
Old 03-02-2006, 11:12 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Could use some detailed instructions. The kind the body shops get.

So far, of the four or five body shops I called and visited, they all quoted me over $200.00 to install both front and rear bumpers and side skirts. One quoted $260, another $380, one $400, dealership body shop $550, and a phone quote for $600+ I told them the bumpers are already painted! Why the hell do they charge so much just to mount the damn things? They swear it takes 10 hours to do both bumpers.... [:@]

So, I'm gonna have to do it myself.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 PM
gabeh1018
2nd Gear Member

it doesnt.. ive never installed **** on cars before my bumpers... and it took me a total of 2 and half hours and that was taking a trip to home depot to get nuts and bolts.. so basically i spent a small fraction of my time and about 5 dollars.... "F"U"C"K" body shops.. do it yourself.. mine turned out factory perfect!!

i did have a friend assist though...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gabeh1018

it doesnt.. ive never installed **** on cars before my bumpers... and it took me a total of 2 and half hours and that was taking a trip to home depot to get nuts and bolts.. so basically i spent a small fraction of my time and about 5 dollars.... "F"U"C"K" body shops.. do it yourself.. mine turned out factory perfect!!

A knowledgable friend? Did you require a jack? And did you do the front bumper too?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

LOL, same same same same here but im retarded and forgot stuff and got wrong nuts and bolts so i had 2 go back 2 home depot like 3 times...
ORIGINAL: gabeh1018

Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Railrider
2nd Gear Member

Can I please have those instructions also?? Front and Rear + Skirts on order

railrider571399@comcast.net

Thanks

Quick Reply: Just got my GT bumper. Anyone installed before? Need help.