Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5th Gear pops.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 AM
loveless
1st Gear Member

Default 5th Gear pops.....

ive had my 06 pony package for 2 days. Driving home tonight i notice that when i shift into 5th gear the stick kinda pops back, dosent slip out of gear or anything but it pops back just a little bit and you can hear it as well. Unfortunatley its midnight here in San Jose, Ca and there is noone for me to call. Maybe i'll call my salesmans cell phone and ask WTF? This is the first new car ive ever bought so maybe i'm paranoid but you can bet the first call in the morning will be to the dealer.. wish me luck everyone.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 AM
ikeybmg
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5th Gear pops.....

id say youre probably paranoid, hopefully. but if i had a car for 2 days id be paranoid too.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

How severe is the pop? If I shift into 5th and leave my hand on the shifter, I occasionally feel a slight pop as the clutch catches, as if the shifter bolt isn't in exactly the right spot. I actually kind of enjoy this little bump, but maybe yours is more pronounced? Good luck with the dealership!

Tim
Old 03-02-2006, 06:25 AM
loveless
1st Gear Member

it pops maybe half a fingernail length back. I hope i am paranoid but im rolling out to the dealer first thing in the morning. Never thought i'd be this crazy over a car. I LOVE IT
Old 03-02-2006, 09:44 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol you guys a worrying to muc, you see whats hapening is that the gear inside your transmission is of a helical type, under load the shape of the teeth will pull forward, and when not underload will relax, the reason your shifter moves is because the components are soooooo precisely matched that there is no play in the dear, so whats hapening inside your transmission is having a chain reaction to the shifter your holding on to... try it.. drive in 5th, gradually apply gas, and release it, underload (accelerating) it will pop inwards, release teh gas and it will pop back... its all because of the shape of the gear teeth.. and the clearences between that and your cluster gear (which is the between shaft between your input and output shafts inside your transmission) because of one thing another thing happens... i have 30,000km on my car and it still does it, and that makes me proud because i know its "tight" lol in well working order
Old 03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
loveless
1st Gear Member

Went to my dealer this morning and he said that he hadn;t heard of this before. he did say that because its a new car things have to find a home. Meaning that gears and bushings and things are tight. He said to give it a couple hundred miles to see if it dosent correct itself and if not bring it in so they can take a look at it. So i'm paranoid. Blah blah blah blah
Old 03-02-2006, 09:36 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol dont worry about it.. i just spent 4 months studying transmissions lol
Old 03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Dude my manual does it all the time. Feels like it pops a little while driving.

My dealership has had the tranny on the floor ( for other reasons, a popping noise when letting the clutch out when the car is sitting in still in Neutral) They took a look at it and had it for like alomost 2 weeks couldn't find no wear or tear on the clutch or anything, replaced some syncros and gave me a new driveshaft. Said it was normal with some manual's and its not hurting or wearing any faster. Do any of you get a popping noise when releasing the clutch while sitting still in neutral with the car ON??? it don't do it while its off. Eather way im going to have it checked again by another dealer ship later down the road to see if its wearing or if they can figure it out before my warrenty's up.

But the 5th gear thing don't bug me much.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

nah i havent noticed the poping thing.. i dont usually let my car idle.. when im leaving i make sure to take the keys with me
Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 PM
loveless
1st Gear Member

LOL. my girl says i'm like a nervous dad. The baby burps funny and its off to the emergency room!

Quick Reply: 5th Gear pops.....