Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How long for factory order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default How long for factory order?

I am trying to coincide the arrival of my Mustang with the sale of my old beater car. The dealership said 3-4 months, but I imagine they give a pessimistic guess, to reduce annoying phone calls from impatient buyers (like me). Any thoughts on how long?

Ken
Old 03-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: How long for factory order?

How long is a GUESS...

and nothing but a Guess on your part... it truly depends on a LOT of parameters. The dealers Allocation Level, the regions allocation levels, how many cars he already has ordered for customers and how many cars he has ordered for his lot.

Add to that the current production back log, parts problems, labor issues, transport issues... and you quickly learn it is hard to guess when you will get your car.

I waited 4 months for mine. others waited as long as 10 months.

Read my next post to learn how to get information on your car.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I captured this a long time ago from another ford site... it was written buy a sales guy at a ford dealership...

FORD ORDER INFO

Yes, there is an automated phone system for dealers. 1-800-962-3746 The automated phone system asks if you are building a Ford, then they ask to say your dealer number. If you have the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement) on your car the dealer number is listed in the upper right of the page. Just the number not the letter in it. Next the year of your car, next the code for the car GT's are T82, then the VIN number or Order Number. If you have the DORA the order number is on that. They will then tell you where your car is in the system.

Order types

There are 3 basic order types, Stock, Retail, Fleet. There are others, but I'm not going to just use these 3. AXZD plan will fall under Retail in my description. The other types are Dealer Demo, drivers ed loan out and lease renewal order. Again I'm going to just use the 3 as the others basicly fall under those 3 also.

Stock- Unsold orders for dealer inventory. Order type 2

Retail- Sold orders, have a customer name assigned to them in the system. These also have price protection in case of an increase. Stock units don't. Its an order type 1 in the system (or A, X, K for the weird order types)

Fleet- Sold orders for compaines with a valid Fleet ID. (a fleet ID requires 15 units in service). This order type schedules differently and also gets different't pricing. Rebates don't apply to fleets (but they do have a "REtail greater than Fleet" discount if rebates are bigger than fleet discounts. They also don't pay the FDAF fees and other things. Orders are schueduled out of a fleet pool and not the dealers allocation, but more on that later. This is an order type 0.

Next on an order is an order number. This doesn't mean much its just a way of tracking. Its a 4 digit number (or letters) and is assigned by the dealer. I use the order date for mine. This is one of the 3 items you need to check the status of an order.

Body type- This just tells what the truck is, for example a X14 is a Supercab 4x4 styleside. The first letter is the cab style (F=Regular cab, X= Supercab, W=Crewcab) The second digit tells more. On the New F-150 a 0 is a flareside, 1 is a styleside (2 is a F-250, 3 F-350, etc). The 3rd digit tells whether 2 or 4 wheel drive (on New F-150 2 is 2wd, 4 is 4x4, old style was 7 and 8). This explination applies to F-Series trucks, cars can be different. This item is also needed to check an order.

Dealer code- This is also on the order and is needed to check the status of an order (with Ford, dealer only gets listing of his units). This is a set of 2 numbers, a letter, and 3 more numbers. The first two corespond to the region, letter tells the zone in that region, and last 3 identify the dealer. Mine is 53W544 (53=KC region, Zone W, dealer 544). This is the 3rd thing needed to check the status of an order. All 3 are listed togeather on a DORA on the Upper portion far right a few blank lines below the priority code.

A DORA is a Dealer Order Recipt Acknoldgement. Its a printout we get back from Ford after ordering. Usually comes next buisness day. You should get one from your dealer after ordering. Its a good way to verify what's ordered is what you want.

Priority Codes. This is listed on the far right upper portion of a DORA. Its also on the dealers print outs of order status. This only applies until a unit is scheudled. Once assigned a VIN this doesn't mean anything anymore.

The codes start at 1 and run to 99. A dealer can only assign between 10 and 99. A 99 order can't be schuduled. I use these for people that tell me to get them a unit on date (later than normal orders take). I put in a 99'd order so I have what they wanted in the system and don't forget about it and then change it to a buildable priority when time comes they're ready for the truck. The region (or other Ford divisions) can prioritize below 10, I've only seen a 01 priority below 10. They do this in the event of something unusuall, most orders never see a priority 01. An example is if they're manually scheduling (like the First F-150 for each dealer, or first year T Birds) or if its something that needs to be urgent (first order destroyed in shipping, etc). Again I normally only see this a few times a year. Also if you do get a priority 01, things usually get scheduled fast even if you have some hard to get commodites (but not hold items). More on commodities later. I believe that the under 10 prioritys go first through the allocation system.

Other priorities are to organize what order the dealer wants the trucks in. These only affect that dealer and have no bearing on other dealers. If a dealer only uses 50 or higher, another dealer that starts at 10 won't get his trucks any sooner. This system is to orginze the order so they are "in a row" for scheduling. That way in the first pass of scheduling they only look at 1 truck per dealer, then on second pass look at 2nd one. Regardless of what the number actually is. If 50's the lowest at dealer a and 10's my lowest, they are both in the first pass, and are equal to each other.

More than one order can have the same priority. If this happens they system looks at order types and then order date. Retails take priority over stock and oldest takes priority. For example:

order 1234 Retail order date 9/3/03
order 4321 Retail order date 5/5/03
order 5555 Stock order date 4/4/03
The Retail orders take priority. and then oldest order comes first. So the system would look at these in this order:
Order 4321 because its the oldest retail at this priority
order 1234 2nd as its a retail
order 5555 being a stock order its 2nd despite order date.

Also Priority can override stock,retail or order date. If a retail is priority 20 and a stock is 19, the stock tries to scheudle first, the retail and date thing only applies to orders with the same priority number.

So the big thing I want everyone to know is don't get too worried if your not a priority 01 as this is very rare, also don't worry if your not at priority 10, I start my retail ordes at 20 so I've got some room if something comes up that I need to prioritize under my current orders I can.

On Fleet orders, none of this priority stuff applies. The priority codes are to control build date and are a letter and a number that corespond to a build month and week. This isn't to get stuff quicker but actually slower. Often fleets will order in January and not want the units for a few months. I can order so it can't be built until later so it will arrive in time but not overly early. Fleet units don't compete with retail or stock at all for scheduling as fleet comes out of their own pool and not from a dealers allocation.
3. Allocation- Now that we've got orders in the bank they have to be Scheduled, oh getting ahead of my self, I better list some terms that apply to order status. These are on the dealer printouts so if you see these you'll know what they mean.

Matl HOLD - unit can't schedule something is not availble. for example, my Harley F-250 is in this status as production doesn't start until 11/3/03

unschd/clean- unit isn't scheduled (no VIN, no date, no guarantee to build), but is a buildable order once allocation and comodities allow.

Submitted to plant- Unit assigend a VIN and assy plant, plant is assigning build date.

Scheduled- has a build date and a vin

Locked in- Changes can no longer be made to this order, unit is either close to being built, or at the end of the year they lock in orders early so they don't have left over parts between model years.

Bucked- Unit is close to production, its my understanding that this mean the frame is on a Buck thats used to roll it down the line.

Produced- Unit is built

Rel from plant- Unit is built and through inspection, ava
Old 03-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for your thorough detail... very interesting. I'd better hold on to the beater until the dealership is able to give me a more specific time estimate.

Ken
Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i started reading lol.. then gave up when i realized how long it was lol
Old 03-04-2006, 12:02 AM
missysmustang

I had ordered my car from the dealer and it only took 4 weeks to get it in and that was back in Sept. It actually came in earlier then expected.