Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fog lamp wiring/switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 04:27 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Fog lamp wiring/switch

Will get my GT bumpers on soon so I'd like to have the GT fog lamps functional. Instead of purchasing the hardness and GT switch, is it possible to wire the fog lamps to my headlights? So whenever I turn on my headlights, the fog lights are on, too?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fog lamp wiring/switch

Im not sure about that but you can get the Street Scene wiring harness and switch for $75 its a pretty good deal!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justin_R

Im not sure about that but you can get the Street Scene wiring harness and switch for $75 its a pretty good deal!
I'm guessing I can find this on ebay?

If not, linkage is appreciated! Thank!

[edit] Ok yeah, having difficulty finding a wiring harness. [X(]
Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 AM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

you can find the street scene wiring harness here.

http://www.musclecardirect.com/store...roducts_id=741
Old 02-25-2006, 12:33 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is an artical they did on my car its the install instructions for the grill and harness

http://www.thechromepony.com/Mods1-05.html
Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't run them direct to the headlights for a few reasons. One, it is illegal in most states for the driving lights to be on if your brights are engaged, and most inspection stations WILL fail a car if it doesn't meet this. Two, the headlight wiring and fuse is sized for just the headlights. It's probably oversized by a bit, but not enough to support the driving lights which draw a lot of juice on their own. You would probably blow the fuse, and if you upsized the fuse you would risk a wiring fire. Best to run the driving lights wiring separately. When I installed the GT grille on mine, I tapped the positive wire into an open slot on the fuse panel behind the passenger kick plate. This way the lights go off if I turn the ignition off, so if I accidentally leave them on they won't drain the battery.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:33 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02pnygt

you can find the street scene wiring harness here.

http://www.musclecardirect.com/store...roducts_id=741
Thanks!

here is an artical they did on my car its the install instructions for the grill and harness

http://www.thechromepony.com/Mods1-05.html
Thank you, too!

I wouldn't run them direct to the headlights for a few reasons. One, it is illegal in most states for the driving lights to be on if your brights are engaged, and most inspection stations WILL fail a car if it doesn't meet this. Two, the headlight wiring and fuse is sized for just the headlights. It's probably oversized by a bit, but not enough to support the driving lights which draw a lot of juice on their own. You would probably blow the fuse, and if you upsized the fuse you would risk a wiring fire. Best to run the driving lights wiring separately. When I installed the GT grille on mine, I tapped the positive wire into an open slot on the fuse panel behind the passenger kick plate. This way the lights go off if I turn the ignition off, so if I accidentally leave them on they won't drain the battery.
Hmm, makes sense.

Good going with your wiring. I'll have my dad there to help me with that.

Thanks to you all.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

Afixer, are your lights wired so they will go off when the key is off?

I havent wired mine yet. If yours stay on with the key off I will need to find a 12v switched power source for my install.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 PM
kjhesq

Afixer,
I have a V-6 Vert and I too would like to change the front grill to look more like the GT. Yours looks great! Can you tell me about how much it cost you to do and how difficult it was (I'm a newbie when it comes to working on cars)? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:21 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lizardking

Afixer, are your lights wired so they will go off when the key is off?

I havent wired mine yet. If yours stay on with the key off I will need to find a 12v switched power source for my install.

for my pony install i am using my amps turn on wire. It is in the fuse box under the hood on the pass side. If i remember right if you are looking at it from the back to the front then it is the mini fuse on the left side all the way to rear of the block. blue fuse i think

i will try to get a pic

SPARTAN using a relay you could splice in to the low beam side of one of the headlights
I am not sure but with these headlight bulbs there should be 3 wires Ground, Low, and High. I am again not sure but when you click on your high beams the low beam wire should go dead Thuse turning off the fogs. hopefuly some one can verify

good luck

Quick Reply: Fog lamp wiring/switch