Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

? for hamidlmt

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:28 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

Default ? for hamidlmt

i noticed that your running about everything on your car as i have planned,(tunes coming no gears yet) i dont have headers, do you think it made much dif. in your perform. did you have tune before exhaust upgrade, any dyno #s? what made you go for the higher priced auburn lsd over the t-loc?
Old 03-13-2006, 02:24 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: ? for hamidlmt

hey bscottie!

lesse if I can answer your questions...

Headers were about my third mod. At the time of installation I had a K&N drop-in air filter and a single GT take-off axle-back muffler. I immediately noticed a vastly improved exhaust note. It was much, much louder...suprisingly so! Revs were quicker, harder. Pulling out of the parking lot, I squeeled the tires, which was a rare thing at that point with my auto. The engine just seemed to have more life, more torque. Like most exhaust mods, it didn't need a tune. I didn't have a dyno before or after. The performance bump was minor but still very noticeable. I'd guess it was somewhere around 5-7hp or so.

I feel that headers have made the most dramatic difference in my current exhaust note, especially in terms of sound. And, if it gives me a few extra ponies, no complaints there.

I went with the Auburn after initially ordering the 3.73 gears and a Ford Racing t-lok from http://home.fastspecialties.com/ . They're just over the river from me in Vancouver, WA. They needed some time to get the parts in. Right before the weekend, they called me up and said they got a good deal on an Auburn. So, I went to my trusted friends here in the various Mustang forums and asked for some advice. I also scoured the web for info on the Auburn. The conclusion was, the Auburn fell in between the t-lok and the Detroit Truetrac in terms of strength... stronger than the t-lok, not as strong as the TrueTrac. The Auburn was thought to hook up better than other limited slips. So, I talked to Fast Specialties and they said they could give me the Auburn for only $80 more. That was it! I went for it!

The Auburn and can be really feel it on launches and hard turns. The rear end just feels so solid.

I'm lovin' the way my car is driving right now!

You're gonna really dig your ride after you get the C&L and X-cal tune! It makes a world of difference!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:19 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Hey Hamid, I have another question for you...I'm getting my new dual exhaust soon and my JBA headers are sitting in my house. (going to install everything at the same time) I also have the K&N filter too. I noticed that you said your tires were squeeling on the way out of the parking lot - do you think it would be necessary for me to get the LSD once I install my headers and exhaust? I'm happy with my handling now, but I have no idea what it's going to be like once everything's installed...thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:48 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

chidrock... the most compelling reason I went with a lsd was after the C&L intake and a Bamachips SCT X-cal 2 tune. It was just needed! It was too easy to break that one tire loose, even at half-throttle. After headers and duals (and before the tune), the car still pretty much shifted the same and I didn't think I needed a limited slip back then. There was just a noted increase in power and, of course, sound.

Once your car is tune by someone like Doug or Lideo or Brenspeed (or even better... dyno tuned), you'll probably want to start saving again for some sort of limited slip!

Headers are probably not a huge power adder. Get them for the lovely sound improvement first and if you're wanting to squeeze out every last bit o' hp. But, I see lads out there spending nearly $300 on pullies for a 4 hp gain when you could get headers for a bit extra and create a more ferocious exhaust note at the same time.

So, get your headers and duals on and let us know what you think!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:59 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

thanx for the info, been advised that cai and tuner will be in by end of week, gears are prob. still a couple months away, so I am trying to do all homework possible, since I do a lot of hwy driving its prob. the 3.73s, still comparing the lsds, both the auburn and tru trac are about twice the price of t-loc, rygen and screaming seem to be doing ok with theirs, we'll see after they pop the track a few more times good to have pioneers(guinea pigs)LOL, maybe we should start a collection for those guys for product trials and real world reviews.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Hamid! From your psot before, I thought that you meant you needed the LSD after the exhaust was put on and before the tuners. I figured that I could wait on the LSD until I got the tune done, which I hope I can keep from doing for a little while. I'll probably do that stuff in a couple of months or so...
Old 03-14-2006, 03:00 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: chidrock

Thanks Hamid! From your psot before, I thought that you meant you needed the LSD after the exhaust was put on and before the tuners. I figured that I could wait on the LSD until I got the tune done, which I hope I can keep from doing for a little while. I'll probably do that stuff in a couple of months or so...
yeah... you can wait on a limited slip until after a tune... then, you'll really see the need!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

im really thinking about the headers

i think it would give a lovely sound the single stock exhaust

enough for people to ask me if i changed the muffler
Old 03-14-2006, 09:40 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

blackfoot... the stock muffler is quite restrictive. A more freely flowing muffler helps quite a bit. I'd at least go with a GT take-off.... with headers, it sounds a little something like this...
http://www.transcendingtouch.com/mus..._jbaheader.mp3
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

wiiiicked! i like it!

jeeeez theres sooo much i want to do, but dont know what to do first!

i got my local shop checking out the MRT for a quote for me.. i think i should save for the both, and go duals right away but do the headers at the same time at the MRT's

lol im gonna have parts sitting in my basement and im gonna go nuts till they are on!

lol the eibachs are sitting beside me as we speak!!

sometime next week car goes to ford for new carpet.
then to image car care to get acid stains removed from the whole passenger side of car
then ill get my side scoops re-done
then install springs while scoops get painted

then after all that, exhaust is my next mod! i know that 100% sure
then the streetscene kit for appearance

Quick Reply: ? for hamidlmt