Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Intake + Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Phillips1847
1st Gear Member

Default Intake + Exhaust

Friend A told me that when you put intake and exhaust on your car without changing your fuel injectors then you're ruining your engine because the car isn't meant to deal with so much air, only BAD things can resault from only upgrading your intake and exhaust. Friend B says it doesn't matter because it's not as big of a deal as a supercharger or something and more air is better (I agree with him)...

But friend A insists that he is right because his grandpa told him (who appearently knows everything) so... So who is right?
Old 03-17-2006, 01:15 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake + Exhaust

Well...if you're really paranoid, you can call me Friend C and I'll say...just put on the exhaust for now and see how you like it
Old 03-17-2006, 01:16 AM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

The intake will only be the piece that will "possibly" make a difference. There are some CAI's on the market that claim they do not require a tune and others that definintly require a tune. Basically when you're introducing more air into your system you can run lean. If it gets too lean the check engine light will come on. So in a nutshell you're car will tell you if it's out of range by flipping on the CEL at which point you will need to re-tune the computer to compensate for the Air/Fuel ratio.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

thats not true........ at all..........

the MAF determines how much fuel the injectors put in. If i remember right the stock injectors can handle over 400 hp. There are alot of guys that put in the 42# injectors, but im pretty sure that does nothing good. I honestly dont see how it could net any power gains because the ECU is still running on the same curve, so if you arent exceding 19# or whatever the stockers are, then the 42# capacity makes no diff.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:22 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Phillips1847

Friend A told me that when you put intake and exhaust on your car without changing your fuel injectors then you're ruining your engine because the car isn't meant to deal with so much air, only BAD things can resault from only upgrading your intake and exhaust. Friend B says it doesn't matter because it's not as big of a deal as a supercharger or something and more air is better (I agree with him)...

But friend A insists that he is right because his grandpa told him (who appearently knows everything) so... So who is right?
You DO NOT need to change injectors... Yes, more air is better BUT you need to make sure that the computer knows about it... a lot of these CAI kits simply change the MAF size which throws the car's computer off, causing the car to lean out which give you the power gain! If you are going to buy a CAI I would suggest you invest in one that REQUIRES and tune... and buy a CAI/X-CAL2 combo... My personal favorite is the C&L/X-CAL2 combo for $650....
Old 03-17-2006, 02:18 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Tell friend A that he needs to stop listening to is grandfather. New injectors for a cai??? Reeeetard!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 03:21 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Sheesh, bunch of whackos popping up outta no where. My friend works at a Toyota dealership, and he was talking to his coworker the other day about my stang. He told him how I just got a tuner and intake.. his coworker, a huge domestic fan, nearly explodes telling my buddy, "he'll lose HP!"

Sure, I just might lose HP if I wasn't tuning the car. I didn't have time to listen to his rediculous argument, just said "so all the people at my forums are liars, their dynos lie, they wasted hundreds of dollars or tubes that don't work, and the stock intake rules."

People are dumb. [&:]
Old 03-17-2006, 03:56 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Tell friend A that his grandaddies model T might need new injectors, but not his stang! A simple retune is all that is needed.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:02 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lmao!ne injectors for a CAI lmao! your friend needs to pickup a performance mag instead of listening to his grandfather.. maybe actaully read the articles instead of looking at the pictures.. that will atleast screw his head in the right direction.. our engins can handle some boost before changing the injectors. since the computer controlls the amount of fuel is injected, it can supply more fuel when more air is induced... but only untill the injectors max flow.. at a certain point they will need to get bigger.. but not with bolt on mods... never! get a turbo or SC run 12psi, then change your injectors