Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Getting Magnaflows installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:34 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Default Getting Magnaflows installed

So I'm about to buy the V6 Magnaflow kit with the y pipe, but I'm going to have an x pipe installed. Should I go ahead and buy an x pipe or talk to a shop and see if they can make one. Also what did all your installs run for the whole thing. One last thing, other than the gt hangers are there any other parts I need to buy so I can take it all to the shop and just have them do it. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:07 AM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Getting Magnaflows installed

If you bought the Magnaflow kit #16605, it comes with everything you need. However, having said that, you will have some difficulty installing the driver's side muffler because it is SO tight on space there. The instructions tell you to reuse one bracket from the passenger side and guess what? If you do there is not enough room to make the muffler fit. I had to remove and reweld the hanger on the muffler and had to do a custom mounting bracket. When I say "I" I really mean my buddy at MIDAS. If I had to pay for labor it would have been $94.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Getting Magnaflows installed

ORIGINAL: KiLLeR_WoMBaT

If you bought the Magnaflow kit #16605, it comes with everything you need. However, having said that, you will have some difficulty installing the driver's side muffler because it is SO tight on space there. The instructions tell you to reuse one bracket from the passenger side and guess what? If you do there is not enough room to make the muffler fit. I had to remove and reweld the hanger on the muffler and had to do a custom mounting bracket. When I say "I" I really mean my buddy at MIDAS. If I had to pay for labor it would have been $94.
I had the same problems but made it work.

Stewart, If you buy a GT Xpipe it is not a direct bolt on to our V6 exhaust. The cats would have to be cut off and the pipe welded to your original cats. The oxygen sensors are located in different places. I know one of the O2 sensors in located on the GT exhaust manifold. So you would probably need to get it done at a muffler shop. Doing it this way might be cheaper than having a custom pipe made for you.