Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A Few Questions Regarding '05 vs '06 Models...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A Few Questions Regarding '05 vs '06 Models...

I didn't get the Shaker System cause I had my own radio and subs I wanted to install so I cant help you there. Anyway. I love my 06 and have had no trouble except for the tint scratches (plenty in the forums about that).
+1

i say go for a 99' -04' GT instead of 06' v6
I disagree 100%. I had the option of a 2004 GT or an 06 V6. The V6 has plenty of power but the deciding factor for me was the look. The look of the 05+ are 10 times better then the older models and have plenty more potential. Also you will have better mpg, well, depending on how you drive.

The 05 V6 does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The 99 GT does it in 5.8. .7 seconds seems like a lot when racing but wasn't worth it to me in a car I drive everyday and won't take it to the track for a while.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:12 PM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

I just purchased a V6 Deluxe w/ Shaker 500 about a month ago, so far I love it. I have experienced on occasion the Shaker skipping when starting a new track, however it's happened less than a dozen times. It's somewhat irritating because of the expense (~$750 on sticker), however I'm sure at some point if it gets worse I'll have it looked at or replaced.

I must say if your experience is anything like mine you won't be disappointed. However I admit my research into performance mods has come up somewhat nil, I would like to add a super- or turbocharger one day, but most of the ones I've found are GT only, perhaps another year or so will change that.

--Philip
Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Watchful Owl

I'm glad you guys/gals seem to be enjoying your cars.

About the '06 V6 vs earlier model V8, my brother mentioned the same thing. He said I should save my money, get a used V8, and put a supercharger on it so I can have a bit more juice for when people want to mess with me. He used to own a '90 LX coupe (the cop car) and it was pretty fast. Personally, I just want a new Mustang because they look so darn cool (not that the older ones don't however). When it comes to power and speed, I've been riding sport bikes for a few years now and no car, that I can afford, will ever top the thrill and performance of a bike. Right now, I own a '03 Honda CBR954RR that I purchased back when I worked at my local Honda dealer. Even if I bought a V8, I'd always be thinking of how slow it is compared to my 954. Nobody messes with me when I'm on that bike, except maybe another bike. Then again, it's not fair to compare apples to oranges. I haven't made my purchase yet so I'll concider all my options.

To the guy that mentioned how his Shaker 500 system skips on occasion, what year is your Mustang? I was hoping Ford resolved that issue for the '06 models. It's too bad you can't get the standard, single disk CD player on the Premium model, cause I haven't heard of any problems with that player. Alot of my driving music comes from the radio anyhow. The only reason I'm looking at a Premium model is for the Pony Package. Still... I'd like the CD player to work properly, even if I didn't use it that often.

Thanks for the advice and sharing your testimonials everyone. From everything I've read, even the people who've had bad luck with their Mustangs still love to drive them. It sounds like a fun car and I can't wait. Half the excitement of getting something new is the anticipation. Later!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hufenstang

i bought my car back in january of 2005.. i havent had one problem except the popping sound in the front which they fixed under warranty in about 30 minutes.! shes still going strong =)
Same here. No problems with the gas tank or the shaker 500. Did get the popping fixed - (the only problems) and mine is an early 05 too.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 AM
mindfury
1st Gear Member

RE: Shaker 500...

It's a '06 V6, Tungsten Grey, and the Shaker 500 was part of the car when I purchased it. Had I wanted to wait a couple of months (from what I heard on this board) I could have ordered it without. The prior three vehicles I've owned I've replaced the stock stereo on, one of my hobbies and a way to personalize it.

I haven't had the stereo skip since my last posting.

I also considered buying a used GT, however personally I have this stigma about used 'Stangs, it's one of those cars I think isn't quite the same unless it's a virgin.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:25 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Watchful Owl

I'm glad you guys/gals seem to be enjoying your cars.

About the '06 V6 vs earlier model V8, my brother mentioned the same thing. He said I should save my money, get a used V8, and put a supercharger on it so I can have a bit more juice for when people want to mess with me. He used to own a '90 LX coupe (the cop car) and it was pretty fast. Personally, I just want a new Mustang because they look so darn cool (not that the older ones don't however). When it comes to power and speed, I've been riding sport bikes for a few years now and no car, that I can afford, will ever top the thrill and performance of a bike. Right now, I own a '03 Honda CBR954RR that I purchased back when I worked at my local Honda dealer. Even if I bought a V8, I'd always be thinking of how slow it is compared to my 954. Nobody messes with me when I'm on that bike, except maybe another bike. Then again, it's not fair to compare apples to oranges. I haven't made my purchase yet so I'll concider all my options.

To the guy that mentioned how his Shaker 500 system skips on occasion, what year is your Mustang? I was hoping Ford resolved that issue for the '06 models. It's too bad you can't get the standard, single disk CD player on the Premium model, cause I haven't heard of any problems with that player. Alot of my driving music comes from the radio anyhow. The only reason I'm looking at a Premium model is for the Pony Package. Still... I'd like the CD player to work properly, even if I didn't use it that often.

Thanks for the advice and sharing your testimonials everyone. From everything I've read, even the people who've had bad luck with their Mustangs still love to drive them. It sounds like a fun car and I can't wait. Half the excitement of getting something new is the anticipation. Later!
Not all Premium 06s have the Pony Package. It's an option, much like the Sport Appearance Package. I will say that the Pony Package is one of the better options you can get as far as looks and performance (you may get the V6, but you get the GT handling). Have fun with it.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:38 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nicarc369

I didn't get the Shaker System cause I had my own radio and subs I wanted to install so I cant help you there. Anyway. I love my 06 and have had no trouble except for the tint scratches (plenty in the forums about that).
+1

i say go for a 99' -04' GT instead of 06' v6
I disagree 100%. I had the option of a 2004 GT or an 06 V6. The V6 has plenty of power but the deciding factor for me was the look. The look of the 05+ are 10 times better then the older models and have plenty more potential. Also you will have better mpg, well, depending on how you drive.

The 05 V6 does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. The 99 GT does it in 5.8. .7 seconds seems like a lot when racing but wasn't worth it to me in a car I drive everyday and won't take it to the track for a while.
1, your opinion sucks in my opinion, but thats your opinion, and you will only get a few better mpg, Nanaki gets 23 in an 04 GT with 3.73 gears and a Vortech

2, i havent seen 0-60 in 6.5, i saw 6.9 in car and driver with a quarter mile time of 15.3, a GT usually does low 14s, but is possible to break high 13s, so how is that not a big difference
Old 03-24-2006, 03:45 AM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

I have an '06 with the Shaker 1000. It looks like they have fixed the skipping problems I've read about, as I've had no issues with skipping at all, and the sound is incredible. HOWEVER, the half-second or so, pause between tracks is still there. You will barely notice it, if at all, on songs that completely fade out or end before the next one starts, but on songs that continue on into the next one, or on something recorded "live" for instance, you WILL have a half-second of "dead air" before the next track starts.
I'm enjoying the car itself so much, that I am trying not to focus on that, but considering the fact that it is a $1300 add-on, it's really pretty sad that they put in a "cheap" cd player... I mean, my $30 no name brand jam-box can play a live album or continuous mix cd from start to end with no pauses or problems at all. In fact, I don't think I've EVER heard a CD player have a pause between tracks until this one.
The dealership said they would be happy to take a look at it and replace it, but from what I've read with other people having this problem, it just gets replaced with another unit that does the same thing. It seems that the people who had the "A" version replaced with the "B" version got rid of the skipping, but unless they come up with a "C" version to get rid of the pause between songs, it's no use I even bother taking it in. And I really don't think the half-second pause between songs is going to be enough of an issue with enough people, to make them fix it. I hope I'm wrong though.
The Shaker 1000 just happened to be on the car I was looking at, I didn't order it or anything, and considering the SOUND demonstration I was given at the dealership, I was more than happy to take it. But knowing what I know now, and especially from everything I've read about other people's troubles, if I were ordering the car and given the choice, I would spend that $1300 on my own system from an audio store.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

I dont think there is much of a difference between 05 and 06 models, other than they fixed a few recalls, but if youre buying a used 05 the dealerr probably took care of any problems that the previous owner didnt, I think 06 is way better though just for the Pony Package, you get a LOT for not too much money.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:23 PM
cinque35
1st Gear Member

23 MPG in an 04 GT with 3.73 gears and a Vortech???? right, i've had 4 GT's and never saw 20

Quick Reply: A Few Questions Regarding '05 vs '06 Models...