Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Warranty and performance upgrades

Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

Default Warranty and performance upgrades

Ok so im 16 and new to the whole owning a car thing. i got my 05 v6 stang about a year ago when a had a learners liscence. i have been a car fanatic my whole life and have grown up around cars. but i never checked on thing like warranty. So my dad, who paid for my cars and whos name is on the title, wont let me do any performance modifications that void my warranty. so far ive only done the visual but i want more power out of the v6 so what performance mods besides the obvious exhaust...ect... will not void my warranty or can be re-flashed back to normal with out ford ever noticing even if they do a computer check. Also i know there are probably billions of threads on this so sorry about that. I was also wondering how much to lower my car and a good set of springs to do it with i have 18x9 deep dish chrome bullits and low-pro tires. thanks for the help
Old 03-22-2006, 11:09 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty and performance upgrades

check the spring thread for your lowering issue

the only thing that can void warrenty is if what ever you do to your car is the reason whatever broke, and it must be relevent. like you put a 4:10 gears in your car and you blow a front passenger wheel bearing lol they cant blame the gears... but if your gears strip.. your on your own.. but its only related to what you did. so if you wheel bearing goes again and your still in your warrenty limit.. your still covered
Old 03-22-2006, 11:18 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

yeah blackfoots right. i am in an identical boat to you (17 parents say no) well i called 7, yes 7 dealerships/service departments and asked that very question. 6 guys said "you will void your warranty dont do it" so i told them about the moss....act and their respose was "oh i didnt know that" and "iv never heard of it" and pretty much "we do what we want". the other guy said go for it.

I also asked about being able to reflash the computer back to stock, and thay allsaid that they WILL know that it had a tune (dont ask me how) ad they can blameit on that if your engine blows(extreme example).

so basically it depends on who your dealing with, if they chose to void it you could take them to court and make them fix it but it would cost you more thanthe fix in court fees.

So as much as i hate to say it(because it proves my dad right lol ) you *most likely* will end up having to pay for it if the problem is logically connnected to the mod. I finaly convinced him that if it breaks ill pay forb it so im a go at the moment LOL but if it breaksim out a car, as i have like 0 funds at the moment
Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

I am aware of the act the way they can tell if you have re-flashed is they computer will tell them it has been shut down and re-booted
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

whatever it is it SUCKS.i think im going to order the tuner and ship it to a friends house, then hopemy engine doesnt explode! screw it im tired of waiting!

as for you, go for it just hope nothing happens. i havent really heard of anyones engine getting screwed with mods (other than supercharging and nitrous lol) but headers, intake, gears, tuner, exhaust..... go for it

oh yeah the exhaust isnt in the warranty anyway so go ahead and do that! (from the warranty guide list of whats included in it)

this is whats covered :

Air Flow Sensor • Air/Fuel Feedback Control System and Sensors • Air Induction System • Altitude Compensation System • Catalytic Converter • Cold Start Enrichment System • Cold Start Fuel Injector (1) • Controls for Deceleration • Electronic Ignition System • Exhaust Pipe (Manifold to Catalyst) • Electronic Engine Control Sensors and Switches • Evaporative Emission Control System • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System • Exhaust Heat Control Valve • Exhaust Manifold • Fuel Filler Cap and Neck Restrictor • Fuel Injection System • Fuel Injector Supply Manifold • Fuel Sensor (1) • Fuel Tank (non diesel only) • Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve (1) • Idle Air Bypass Valve • Ignition Coil and/or Control Module • Intake Manifold • Intercooler Assembly - Engine Charger • Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System • PCV System and Oil Filler Cap • Powertrain Control Module • Secondary Air Injection System • Spark Control Components • Spark Plugs and Ignition Wires • Synchronizer Assembly • Throttle Body Assembly (MFI) • Transmission Control Module (TCM) • Turbocharger Assembly • NGV module (Bi-fuel/CNG) (1) Flex Fuel vehicle only

so exhaust system isnt covered just the cats4ward
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Harry_F

I am aware of the act the way they can tell if you have re-flashed is they computer will tell them it has been shut down and re-booted
Even if the dealership was smart enough or had the ability to check to see if the computer had been reflashed:

How could they prove I did it? I have my car in for service and some of the procedure call for the computer to be reflashed. How do you know it wasn't reflashed multiple times at the factory...

BTW... the computer gets "shut down and rebooted" all the time... LOL!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

What would reflashing have to do with voiding any warranty, it can't really cause any problems. I just reflashed my beast with my JLT II and XCal II Tuner woot! By the way, I really like your website scrming you did a great job with it and i've read the whole thing 3-4 times already. I like all of the video clips you have added also, they are great.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:05 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

What would reflashing have to do with voiding any warranty, it can't really cause any problems. I just reflashed my beast with my JLT II and XCal II Tuner woot! By the way, I really like your website scrming you did a great job with it and i've read the whole thing 3-4 times already. I like all of the video clips you have added also, they are great.

The car's computer control EVERYTHING... Screw that up and you can seriously screw your car up... I could load a tune on your car that could ruin the motor pretty easily.....
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

John i have been to your site numerous times i really like it and i love your car. With the whole warranty thing though ford can tell if anything other than what they do or use has tampered. The can plug in a diagnostics on your car right where you plug a tuner in and the cars computer will send a code of some sort telling them that a tuning chip was at 1 time plugged into the car. and therefore voiding the warranty sorry last post i dident mean to say shut down and re-buted i meant to say bypassed. the tuner does something like that. regaurdless... if they want to they can tell. and any engine problems that they could remotely blame on the tuner or any other performance mod they will. and taking ford to court is useless for all the lawer fees i could buy a new mustang. also how do i post pics like in my signature
Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys...ask dad to let you trade your car for a Roush. No upgrades needed. Seriously though, when you ask the dealer you should ask them if they will perform the mods and see what they say. If they will then they really don't care about the warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warranty and performance upgrades