Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

finally, springs and pony grill installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:31 PM
V6Vert
1st Gear Member

Default RE: finally, springs and pony grill installed

Some of you may recall some of my earlier postings about my pony grill troubles I was having and not being able to get the lights to work. After spending about $600 on individule parts from my local dealer (said he couln't get a kit) and even getting an $82 re-flash, my lights still wouldn't work. I got my hands on the pony kit instructions and found that the dealer had sold me the GT wiring harness which wasn't what I needed. I needed the little foglight harness that splices into the original harness and then runs through the firewall and plugs into the switch. The dealer even told me that he spoke to a Ford engineer who told him that even if I had the correct harness, the lights still wouldn't work on the 05 stang. I told him he was full of it, as I've seen several people on here with 05's and pony lights. He agreed to take back all the parts I had bought from him with no re-stock fees (I would have blown a gasket), so I spent another hour or so taking everything back off my car. I then went to "Fordparts.com" and ordered the grill kit for $468, which was delivered in about 4 days and had everything I needed. The instructions call for you to tap into the "yellow/white" wire as explained above, and I also have no "yellow/white" wire in my harness. I pulled a PDF that afixer had sent me and found that Ford calles the wire "tan'white", so I spliced in to it. When I got inside the car, I also encountered the issue where the slot 3 and 6 (I think it was) ports on the switch plug were already being used by the same color wires that I was supposed to plug in. I tried plugging in to two vacant ports on the plug, but the lights didn't work. I then removed the two wire that were in 3 & 6 and pluggrd in my new wires. The lights worked but my turn signals, blinkers etc... didn't work. I then put the origonal wires back and spliced my new wires to them, an wah-lah! I now have functional fog lights that work as they should (off when brights on - on when brights off). When I returned the parts to ford, the guy tells me oh, I can get the kit now if you want me to order it for you, then he quotes me $680!!
I hope this helps any of you that have that mod on your list, and I certainly hope none of you have to go through the headaches I did with mine. I seriously considered selling my car due the problems I encountered with the ford people. I don't recomend going to ford for anything other than warrenty work, and I'm pretty sure they'll screw that up too, or you if they can.
Also, my kit had a lower grill too, that doesn't match the honycomb pattern of the upper grill? I didn't install it, and will be glad to GIVE it to anyone on here who wants it. Just send me your address.... C-YA!

[IMG]local://upfiles/30387/60DC07F9067140378BAE061FB2630BF3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2006, 01:28 AM
hazestang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: finally, springs and pony grill installed

v6vert your car looks great man. sorry to hear all your bad luck, and to think I had it rough
it makes the mod that much more meaningful though I never checked to see if my blinkers work LOL enjoy