Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My latest project

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:41 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Default My latest project

I have been wanting to change out my grille for something less plain than the V6 stock one. I thought about the GT grille; but so many have it and I really don't like the big 6" lights. Then I thought maybe I'd go with the Pony grille (and still may in the long run); but it's just as expensive and more than I want to pay right now for an appearance mod.

I got a new V6 grille a few weeks ago and decided to modify it. The first weekend I put some holes in it and bought some 3.75" blue fog/driving lights to mount. After much fiddling I got the holes placed the same with a template and the lights set in the grille (not mounted of course, just loose). I realized I needed to angle the holes so that the lights did not point out and instead pointed straight ahead or 3-5 degrees inward. When I pulled the grille on the car and loosely mounted the new one with the lights; wouldn't you know it the driver's side light fell out and shattered on the garage floor (oh well there goes $50).

I decided last weekend to make the holes bigger and put in some 4-4.5 inch lights instead. I made a better WOOD template out of 1/2" plywood and bought some hole saw bits. I found some 4" grommets and bought them to clean up the installation a little and give them the bezel look like the GT lights. Of course the wonderfull template was 4" and the O.D of the grommets was 4.5"...I got no 4.5" hole saw bit!!! ARRRRGGHHHH!

Now this weekend I went to the craft shop and cut a template out of plexiglass on the laser and used a router to cut the new 4 3/8" holes. Man they look clean. In went the grommets which are a perfect fit. Now I'm looking for some 4 or 4.5 inch lights I like.

So, after three weekends of getting closer and closer to my vision here is the progress so far. The blue light is the old 3.75 inch one that DID NOT FALL OUT AND SHATTER ALL OVER THE GARAGE FLOOR IN FRONT OF THE WIFE!! Let me know what you guys think (not that it matters as long as I like them, right?).
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: My latest project

And another....
Old 03-26-2006, 07:42 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

and more still...
Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Cool man. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:11 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Looking real good man, my hats off to you for taking on this project. It will look real sweet when you are done, and unique.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:57 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

thats bad *** dude. i cant wait for the final product to come out.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:22 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Kudos dude! It's look very clean. Definetly post pics when you get it installed.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

lol i guess patience really does pay off. Keep up the good work, and don't be stingey with those pics
Old 03-26-2006, 11:05 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

looking good, can't wait to see it on the car
Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

I just sealed in the rubber grommets with Loctite Superflex Black RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant! In 24 hours we'll see how well it holds. It should be fine. I have a new idea, by the way. I'm going to tint the round plexiglas divets that were left over from making the templates and put them in the grommets until I decide on a set of lights I like. The round disks set in there perfect and very, very tight. I don't think they will come out going down the road; but if they do...oh well no big loss. The grill will look killer. Like having smoke blackouts on the driving lights.

On a different note. Anyone know how much the little push pins cost that hold the radiator cover in? I broke three of them. I guess tomorrow I could call Ford, but if anyone happens to know before that.....

Quick Reply: My latest project