Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My exhaust quest is over!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:01 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default My exhaust quest is over!

Well, some of you may remember that not too long ago, I put up clips of my xpipe with my dual Magnaflow (which are in fact magnapacks! Very important fact here). From the outside of the car, they sound great, and from the inside of the car, they sound good on WOT, but at 2500 RPM, that is another story.

A lot of you gave me good input, told me to keep them, but I just wasn’t happy with them. The fact of the matter is I commute anywhere form 45 minutes to 1.2 hours into DC one way every day. I spend a ton of time in this car. And the drone was simply killing me, it made the whole car rattle. Now, keep in mind that I recently added an X pipe, which I am sure didn’t help. LOL.

So I began my research, and I found what I wanted. Dual MRT’s!!!!! So I bought GT rear pipes, and two MRT mufflers. Well, I took one out and low and behold, I could see from one end through them to the other, just like the magnapacks. So I paused, and set my install date 2 weeks in advance with Excessive.

So I talk to the guys at Excessive, and tell them about my plans, how I want a deep sound, not obnoxious and definitely minimal drone. Well they look at my current setup while its on the lift (this is when I got the panhard bar) and Torie goes, there’s your problem, you got “Magna-Drones!!!!” I was like, no, I got Magnaflow specifically cause they do not drone!!!!!! Chris comes up and goes, no, you should have got Magnaflow mufflers, you got Magnapacks, there’s a difference. And Torie goes, they are just like the SLP’s, you can see through one end to the other, and says, that means more air flow, and more drone!!!!

So I looked hard at these MRT’s, and decided, I better not risk it. So today I had my exhaust redone, yet again and think I finally came up with a configuration that works for me, and to be honest, it looks great and sounds great and at cruising speed, I get 0 drone. So, my solution is as follows:

-GT rear pipes w/gt hangers from KC
-Magnaflow TruX Xpipe
-Flowmaster American Thunder (GT Axle back system)

These flows sound great!!!! I was shocked! The guys at the shop said it was the best sounding 6 they have ever heard. And the icing on the cake, the mufflers are black, with 4 inch stainless steel tips…which match perfectly with my GT rear bumper, check it out:

What I took away from all this:

1. Exhaust is about you’re personal preference, if you like it loud, go loud, then do it, if you like it to sound like a bumble bee, hell, put Greddy’s on it!
2. I got hung up on the arms race, I wanted that 6 extra HP I thought the MRT’s would give me, but to be honest, my Magnapacks were straight through and I am not sure I would have shown a real gain.

Keep in mind I do not have the FlowMaster40’s, I have the American Thunders for the GT, which are different. I still have my magnapack kit, and my MRT’s (unopened) in the garage. I am considering going MRT’s to try before and after at the track to see if there is any gain, but am not sure. If you go with the Magnaflow kit, it’s a great kit, until you open her up with gears and a xpipe, after that, its up to your preference. If it is too much drone, you can always put in some resonators for 30 bucks a piece, and mount them and inch or two apart to eliminate drone.

So it seems three times is the charm. I’m done!!!!! I’m very happy with the setup I have, and who knows, maybe it gave me my TQ back. I will post a sound clip ASAP!!! I’ll probably help Excepcion13 with his clip at the same time.

Final words:

1. Butt dyno: Cant feel any difference
2. Sound: Deep rumble when she starts up and at idle, stays deep until the higher rpms, but doesn’t sound rice, just evens out a bit. Which is perfect, now I can enjoy the radio at cruising speeds. Then if I punch, she still roars with a deep sound!

So, I’m finally happy with my setup after a long quest and way too much money. The exhaust quest is hard for us 6’s, but you can find something you like. Just go with what sounds good.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My exhaust quest is over!

Well said!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 11:12 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks. And to celebrate my lack of drone, I bought and installed an XM radio today!!! Woo hoo.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i love your quest... it feels soo epic!!

im pretty envious right now
Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 PM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

Rygen, what was the part # for the magnaflows you had? the ones I have installed are a straight thru part # 14415, they are listed as a universial muf or resonator on Magnaflows website, I'm curious about the performance aspect of these and was curious if you had a similar type? Mine are starting to break-in and the sound is changing a little bit but still not at a level that bothers me, I do have a drone/vibration at about 12-1400 rpms which I figured I would try to work on after the break-in was over, but it sounds like from your experience that they dont change too much. Professor wizard had a post about the potential for a few different scenarios when installing the h or x pipes or just plain duals, I felt like it applied to my situation, it's a shame we don't have a store or shop to go try this stuff out before committing but I guess that would take out some of the "fine tuning" we get to ultimately do
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Damn dude, You've gone through a lot of exhaust kits. Glad you finally found a setup that suits you.

Scrming:

does your single MRT have the annoying drone that rygen is describing?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Rygen... your exhaust has had quite an evolution. So glad you got what you've been searching for!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bscottie

Rygen, what was the part # for the magnaflows you had? the ones I have installed are a straight thru part # 14415, they are listed as a universial muf or resonator on Magnaflows website, I'm curious about the performance aspect of these and was curious if you had a similar type? Mine are starting to break-in and the sound is changing a little bit but still not at a level that bothers me, I do have a drone/vibration at about 12-1400 rpms which I figured I would try to work on after the break-in was over, but it sounds like from your experience that they dont change too much. Professor wizard had a post about the potential for a few different scenarios when installing the h or x pipes or just plain duals, I felt like it applied to my situation, it's a shame we don't have a store or shop to go try this stuff out before committing but I guess that would take out some of the "fine tuning" we get to ultimately do
I have kit #16605, I'm not sure on the part numbers for the mufflers themselves. I think it is a combination of my gears, x pipe and magnapacks.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

Damn dude, You've gone through a lot of exhaust kits. Glad you finally found a setup that suits you.

Scrming:

does your single MRT have the annoying drone that rygen is describing?
Yea, it sucks big time from a cost perspective. But I am finally happy. For the others reading this, here is my exhaust evolution to date:

-Single GT take off (good sound, cheap, flows better than stock)
-Magnaflow kit (good sound, unitl gears and Xpipe, then...super drone!)
-GT pipes, magnaflow Trux, Flow master american thunders

I've learned a lot, and next car I get hopefully will go better.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:51 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Rygen... your exhaust has had quite an evolution. So glad you got what you've been searching for!
Yea, I didn't want to spend the cash, but drone will kill you man. I don't know how rice puts up with it.

Quick Reply: My exhaust quest is over!