MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   opinion on best performance mod under $300 (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/110095-opinion-on-best-performance-mod-under-300-a.html)

msulifter37 03-29-2006 03:16 PM

opinion on best performance mod under $300

hey all! I've had my 06 since november and in that time, the only mod I have made is a flowmaster super 40 series single muffler. Since then, i have been itching to add something else to the car, but the problem is that i am a college kid and money is kinda tight. So, in your honest opinon, what would you consider to be the best performance mod for around $300 or less? any help would be appreciated because the modding itch wont go away and I need to feed the addiction! Thanks!

Scrib 03-29-2006 03:53 PM

RE: opinion on best performance mod under $300

What's the rush? Just save it until you can buy a SCT/C&L combo.

Puleo76 03-29-2006 04:11 PM

+1 ur just about there... 565 shipped i think it is?

scrming 03-29-2006 06:08 PM

well.. to actually answer the OP question... the best performance mod for under $300 is a new muffler... You can pick up a GT take off for dirt cheap... i mean dirt! or you can spend more and get a little bit nicer aftermarket muffler... A new muffler will be good for 10RWHP... I picked up a bit more HP with my MRT....

mister_e213 03-31-2006 10:48 PM

I'm interested in responses to this posting as well. I'll be putting in a new K&N CAI, but I want to do more...obviously. I'm also relatively new to really doing anything to cars, so keeping it fairly easy is good too.

Oh, and msulifter.....might that be Michigan State University? Because I'm living in E.L. Just curious to find locals.

Moonbaby1973 04-01-2006 12:44 AM

Scrming, Can you use a GT take off muffler with the existing single exaust, or do you have to convert over to duals? Like mister_e213, i am also planning on purchasing a K&N CAI soon, but you caught my attention with the 10RWHP comment!

chrisc 04-01-2006 03:07 AM

you could go for an AFE intake for about 200, but if i were you i would save it

FearMyMatrix 04-01-2006 04:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Moonbaby1973

Scrming, Can you use a GT take off muffler with the existing single exaust, or do you have to convert over to duals? Like mister_e213, i am also planning on purchasing a K&N CAI soon, but you caught my attention with the 10RWHP comment!
you can run a single GT takeoff, it just bolts right on. I bought both sides but I will only run 1 untill I have the money to convert to duals.

0to60 04-01-2006 04:46 AM

msulifter, I noticed you already have a flowmaster single, so I assume you want to stick with that for now?

This is a really tough question. The first two things that come to mind are a tuner and a CAI. You can get each of those for around three hundred bucks (the CAI a little less, tuner a little more, most likely).

The problem is that to get the most benefit out of both the tuner and the CAI (assuming you'll want to do both eventually), you really need to do them together. The best CAIs won't work without a retune, and although you could just purchase the tuner now and buy a CAI down the road, then you'll have to pay the additional expense of getting custom tunes written for your new intake.

Maybe headers? You can get the JBA shorties on ebay for a little over $400. The MAC ones are even cheaper, but personally, I'd save up for the XCal2/C&L CAI combo.

Tim

Twister 04-01-2006 08:17 PM

a beginers course at a high performance driving school