Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:27 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: cold air intake

ORIGINAL: Traken

Yeah, when you order one, you'll give the place you order it from your computer code and certain info about your car they'll want to know, such as existing mods. They will program the tuner for you. All you'll have to do is plug it in, and push a couple buttons, and you'll be good to go.
Talk about coincidence! I was actually Googling the 'net for this very info today. They say they come pre-programmed with like three or four codes in the literature, but they never tell you if there's anything else, or specialized knowledge necessary, to do this. Do these pre-programmed codes set everything? Like one of the guides I was looking at had all these different categories, i.e., idle rpms, fuel/air ratio, etc. Or are these things that need to be set separately?

Yashar--Thanks for reading my mind!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JStang78

Talk about coincidence! I was actually Googling the 'net for this very info today. They say they come pre-programmed with like three or four codes in the literature, but they never tell you if there's anything else, or specialized knowledge necessary, to do this. Do these pre-programmed codes set everything? Like one of the guides I was looking at had all these different categories, i.e., idle rpms, fuel/air ratio, etc. Or are these things that need to be set separately?

Yashar--Thanks for reading my mind!
Technically, you shouldn't need to change any settings on a preprogrammed tune as long as everything stays the same. It should have everything it needs programmed into it properly already. I'm not going to claim I know everything that gets programmed into it, but if you just ordered it, and you gave all the info they needed, you should be fine and not need to change anything on the tune. Doesn't mean you can't. But technically, you shouldn't need to.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Traken -- Awesome! Thanks!

I think my mind is made up. Just in case...you know...Murphy's law... one thing I found out during my search that, if nothing else, there's an SCT dealer with a huge dyno set up in the next town over from me.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JStang78

Traken -- Awesome! Thanks!

I think my mind is made up. Just in case...you know...Murphy's law... one thing I found out during my search that, if nothing else, there's an SCT dealer with a huge dyno set up in the next town over from me.
lol

Nice. A custom tune from a dyno shop is always better than a canned tune. That's very cool that you have one close.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Yashar
1st Gear Member

haha wow great info i need to contact the guy i bought my baby from and see if he has done any prior mods...
Old 03-31-2006, 03:30 AM
jtstudley
1st Gear Member

What happens if you dont get a tuner but install the CAI anyway?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jtstudley
What happens if you dont get a tuner but install the CAI anyway?
Which CAI are you looking to purchase? A couple of them are designed to work with the stock programming (the K&N jumps to mind), but others (like the C&L) require retuning.

If you install the CAI without a tuner, you will mess up your a/f (air-to-fuel) ratio. Basically, the larger inlet pipe and the colder (and therefore denser) air that a CAI provides means your engine is pulling in a greater amount of air than it did stock. In order to compensate for this increase, your computer needs to know to add more fuel to the mixture as well.

I never even turned on my car with the CAI until the tune was loaded (based on advice from Doug at Bamachips), but I can tell you what I've heard about potential problems you'd encounter. First, you wouldn't get the benefits from the CAI because the lack of sufficient fuel would hold back your performance gains. Secondly, you might encounter sputtering in your engine, and potentially even stalling, especially at WOT (wide open throttle; i.e., gas pedal all the way to the floor).

Bottom line is: either get the tuner or install a CAI that's specifically engineered to work with the stock computer.

Tim
Old 03-31-2006, 04:23 AM
jtstudley
1st Gear Member

Yeah i was already thinking K&N. i dont need anything super fancy because ill never be able to hide the fact that i have a V6. I could use a little better mileage and its something easy to install that i can spend my money on. Are there specific K&Ns that dont need tuning?
thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 04:32 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yashar

im REALLY new to cars and all so bare with me here im sorry if i suck

i had a friend who told me something about the cold air intakes something like if you drive them in the rain your engine wil lget water in it someting like that

any truth?
well i see what he may be getting too, and it does hold some truth to the off road rallyers (WRX's etc)
if you have an almost completely enclosed box around your intake, water can fill up the entire box and create problems

this really does not happy much unless you are going through some BIG puddles though, so we should not be worried at all
Old 03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Traken -- I didn't notice your location yesterday, but that shop I was talking about is in Fox River Grove.

Quick Reply: cold air intake