Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:48 AM
Yashar
1st Gear Member

Default cold air intake

im REALLY new to cars and all so bare with me here im sorry if i suck

i had a friend who told me something about the cold air intakes something like if you drive them in the rain your engine wil lget water in it someting like that

any truth?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:51 AM
jet22
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: cold air intake

nope, totaly not true lol

the moistrue in the rain actualy increases your compression and gives you more proformance
Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Yashar
1st Gear Member

oh really sweet (never trust an asian!) hah jk hes like my best friend were just lall noobs noone aroudn here knows anything about cars... im tryting to learn doing the best i can im thinking about isntalling one what kind ?for a v6 and how hard would it be to install
Old 03-30-2006, 03:28 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Some cold air intakes go down into the fenderwell (none that I've seen in our cars). They could potentially get wet from water being kicked up by the tires or driving in deep water. I think that's more of a problem with imports.

An intake is a pretty easy intall... 15 minutes or so.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:58 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

The C&L intake is a great product, but it will require that you purchase a handheld computer tuner as well because it pulls in so much air that the air/fuel ratio needs to be adjusted.

There are several companies that offer the cold air intake (CAI) and tuner as a combo for about $550-650 dollars. In my opinion, this is the best mod to make when you're just starting out. The performance gains are very noticeable!

Good luck!
Tim
Old 03-30-2006, 04:12 AM
Yashar
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info on the intake, that was my first thought to get a cold air intake and a tune. I dont know anything about tunes and i hear that C&L intake and SCT X-cal tune make a great combo but im planning on adding other mods aswell after would that require the car to be retuned?

and also how does tuning the car work exactly i know you get some electronic equiptment and it somehow messes iwth the cars computer but thats it?

what about preditor tune?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:33 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Part of what makes a tuner such a great first mod is that it can be retuned every time you make another substantial mod. Some examples of things that you'd want to retune for are: larger tires, gear ratio changes, a supercharger/turbo, etc. Many mods won't even require a retune; for example, 99% of exhaust system mods don't require a retune (also called a reflash) because they don't change how much air the engine can take IN (and therefore don't throw off the air/fuel ratio).

A tuner is basically a handheld device (looks like a primitive sort of gameboy) with a big cable that comes out of the bottom and a small LCD screen. You plug the cable into the port on your car (it's near the floor below the steering wheel) and the tuner turns right on. From there you can load a custom tune, check diagnostics, interpret engine trouble codes, and other fun stuff.

A custom tune basically reflashes your car's CPU. You should get tunes written by a qualified shop (I like Doug at Bamachips) or take your car into a place with a dyno (dynamometer) to get a custom tune for your car. A good tuner like Doug can tweak the power bands of your ride to give you better torque and horsepower across the board, especially with a good CAI in your engine compartment!

As for the actual install, the tuner takes 5 seconds to plug in and just a couple minutes to load custom tunes. The cold air intake took me about 45 minutes or an hour but I've heard from others that 15 or 20 is more the average (I am both inexperienced and a perfectionist, so mods always take me a long time!)

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Tim
Old 03-30-2006, 09:34 AM
muze one

Anyone notice a change in shifting (not as much 'kick-down' n auto) after changing to GT takeoff duals..?
maybe I'm focused on the engine sound now that Ihear it more thru the duals, but I feel slower (althought the speedometer tells me otherwise...)
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM
05 Silvertible
2nd Gear Member

When you buy a hand held tuner does it come with tunes preinstalled? I could do a lot of damage with something like that ...probably make my car spontaniously combust
I would like to get A C&L with a good tune but I am more of a here's what I want you to install for me please dont screw my wallet to bad !!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Silvertible

When you buy a hand held tuner does it come with tunes preinstalled? I could do a lot of damage with something like that ...probably make my car spontaniously combust
I would like to get A C&L with a good tune but I am more of a here's what I want you to install for me please dont screw my wallet to bad !!
Yeah, when you order one, you'll give the place you order it from your computer code and certain info about your car they'll want to know, such as existing mods. They will program the tuner for you. All you'll have to do is plug it in, and push a couple buttons, and you'll be good to go.

Quick Reply: cold air intake