Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Electrical problem on new car!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Electrical problem on new car!!!!!!

[size=2]I was driving my 3 week old Mustang with 900ml on odometer home from work in the heavy rain all exsited about my new XCal 2 that supposed to arrive today and all of a sudden the fuel gauge showed empty (I have full tank) and "DET FLI error" came up. Car ran fine so I just kept driving. A few more light pot holes and my headlights went out and AC (defrost) stoped working and turn signal/emergency flashers no longer work but the car is driving fine. So I make it home and shut off the car. Restarted it again and noticed that non of the dashboard lights come on but the car started and running. Strange I think.
[[/size]
So I call up the dealer and to arrange the diagnostics. Service advisor said to bring it over ASAP since they are closing in 30min so I started the car and off I go with no lights. Now fuel guage is fine but low oil light is on. Trip takes 10 min (4miles) and in the middle of the trip, going over rough surface all my lights came back and everything is working again. Weirdddd. My thought, loose connection somewhere.
I pull up and service adviser has his mechanic pull the code. Besides getting D0463 code also a bunch of other codes came up for bad sensors. He thought it is possibly bad control module some kind off and will check it thorowly on Monday. I also mentioned to him that I heard some clicking sound coming from passenger side pannel during trouble events.
Now I am driving a loaner till they find the problem.

What do you guys think.
\
Old 04-01-2006, 01:12 AM
tomsa55
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Electrical problem on new car!!!!!!

loose connection wil cause false sensor codes, bet they find a lose primary power connection on the harness to the fuse box or a lose harness connector. with the syptoms associated with the bumps, that should be the easiest to fix and get your ride back. good luck
Old 04-01-2006, 03:47 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Thank you tomsa55, I hope its that simple. I was thinking of going through the whole car and rechecking all the ground connections. What do you think? Also, if it was "a lose primary power connection on the harness to the fuse box" and the fuse box contains fuel pump fuse, how come the car continued to run when lights went off on dashboard? Is there another fuse box or some kind of main relay hidden someplace? I don't want to have another elecrical problem ever again.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:48 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

by the way, do you know where I can find the listing for all the codes? I came accross a link once but can't find it now ofcourse :-(
Old 04-01-2006, 09:28 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I had similiar issues, turned out to be two loose fuses! When the shop checked them, they checked out fine, but then when they checked again, they noticed two fuses could wiggle. The vibration caused various electric components to go haywire. They took some pliars, bent the clips, put them back in nice and snug and all is fixed.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:19 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Do you recall which fusses? Was it a relay or something? Maybe I should go through all of them to make sure. It was definitely something loose but I don't have schematic to check.
By the way, where is a good inexpensive place to purchase a shop manual?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatstang

Do you recall which fusses? Was it a relay or something? Maybe I should go through all of them to make sure. It was definitely something loose but I don't have schematic to check.
By the way, where is a good inexpensive place to purchase a shop manual?
No, I don't. Excessive found the two fuses and fixed them for me.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:03 AM
tomsa55
1st Gear Member

Open your hood, locate fuse box, it's on the passenger side, forward mounted on or close to fender well in frount of strut tower.

Pull off the top, there are two tabs located on each end, pull outward on the top tabs on each end, and lift the fuse box top off.

One fuse at a time, pull up with fingers, if you can pull out easily, pull out, slightly bend the fuse tabs. mine were bent one one-way and the other the other way, then reinsert fuse back into fuse box.

Do this on all the fuses.

On the relays, maintain orientation, as they will plug in backwards, not sure if this will mess them up. but they should be difficult to pull out too. make sure they are all seated fully into their respective sockets.

Make sure the main power connection is tight, use a 10mm or 11mm socket to check, BE CAREFULL this lead goes directly to positive terminal on your batter, if you short out to frame, even for just a secound, you can damage your batter, start a fire, burn your *** er hand, and mess up your mustang really bad. ( Typical car batter has enought energy to weld a wrench solid to the frame if you get it shorted.)

If you look under the top of the fuse panel, you will notice lots of wires, these are the power leads going to your fuel pump, ac, lights, ect.

DO NOT try and service this any futher with out some help from an experienced mechanic, you must disconnect the battery terminals and follow some service guidlines to avoide damaging your pcu, airbags, ect.

From what you described, It must be an intermitted lose connection. You just might find its something simple like a loose fuse or power connection. If you are unsucceful, besure and tell your service rep at the ford dealership. This will save them some time and you some money.

Good luck.

ps if you want the electical diagrams, I have them in pdf, someone here on this forum had them posted, I downloaded them, if you can't find them, im me with your email, and I'll attachment them to you in a reply.

Have fun
Old 04-02-2006, 02:53 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

thank you kindly Tomsa55, I droped the car off at the dealer to have them check the electrical system. Tech reported that he pulled a bunch of different codes indicating that sensors are sending wrong info. Once I pick up the car I plan to recheck all the fusses and such.
I'll IM you for the elecrical diagram and much appreciate your input.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Just got a call from Dealer and they are reporting that my junction box went bad and needs to be replaced. What the hack is the junction box and why does it go bad? Surprising for a car with less than 1K on it.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem on new car!!!!!!