Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SLP Resonators

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Default RE: SLP Resonators

you shouldn't really have to worry about drone unless you have duals
Old 04-08-2006, 01:14 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

yeah he's right, drone is caused when you have a matching dual setup and the sound waves are the same and the frequencies interfere and make a very irritating noise. If you have single and you put a resonator on it would go somewhere between the catalytic converter (right near your headers and the engine) and your mufflers (right at the very end of your exhaust) The purpose of a resonator is to reverberate the noise comming from the cylinders and make them deeper and reduce interior noise (inside the car cabin). They CAN be used on a dual setup if you stagger them to eliminate drone, but for the request i'm making, its just to make the six sound a bit deeper and meaner.

hope i answered your question!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:08 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

seriously though try just a single gt-takeoff muffler. it looks better, and it is deff deeper and meaner and not too much louder. i would go that route first as its going to be aroung 80 for 2 of them then you can go duals when your ready or not!

if that doesnt work for you, then buy the resonators and it will get even deeper. and from what i have heard any resonator will be as good as any other, i dont think the brand matters much. you can get one atr your exhaust shop for about $30

just my $0.02

here is what it will look like
Old 04-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Blueeyes

If your reasoning for exhaust modification is to maximize power, then read this article, "Exhaust Science Demystified", by David Vizard. It will change your entire understanding of how to design an effective exhaust system. It won't tell you what muffler to buy, but it will give you the insight to understand how to maximize the performance of your system.

Exhaust Science Demystified

The relevent topic to this particular thread is that a resonator is a very important component that, when the entire system is designed properly, can isolate the exhaust pressure wave tuning of the header/collector/secondary from the rest of the exhaust system. Throwing random exhaust components at your individually modified engine is a hit or miss endeavor, even with the assistance of a dyno. The two most important exhaust characteristics are pressure wave tuning to maximize scavenging during your maximum power target RPM range, and maximum system flow. The optimized scavenging RPM is dependent on your application. Think about how you intend to drive the car and where you need the most power. For instance, I prefer low end torque over everything else, so I tend toward small diameter primary headers. The optimized flow target of the secondary is to provide 2.2 CFM flow for each HP your engine produces on open exhaust..

Say a mildly tuned V-6 produces 250 crank HP on open exhaust (an estimate). 250x2.2=550cfm. This is what you want your exhaust system to flow. If it's a true dual exhaust, each side needs to flow 225cfm (which is pretty easy to acheive). If it's a single, then you have a challenge right away. If you use a single 350 CFM muffler, tail pipe, cat, or any other component, it will limit the maximum HP the engine can produce. Without the benefits of a resonator, it can also dramatically change the pressure wave tuning, costing much power.

Ol' Blueeyes
Old 04-09-2006, 12:48 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

i'm just doing it to make it sound less like a 6. i hate sixes [:@] but concequently and ironically i love my stang... so i'm trying to make it sound a bit better, but i appriciate the article and will use those tips when i pick out an exhaust for my 89... soon as i get all the body work done [:'(] thats a pain lol