Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how does a tune affect mileage/fuel grade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:31 AM
05 Silvertible
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how does a tune affect mileage/fuel grade?

Does a CAI and a tune do anything for someone who is running stock exhaust ??
Just curious
Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05 Silvertible

Does a CAI and a tune do anything for someone who is running stock exhaust ??
Just curious
Yes! Especially if you have an automatic. It gets rid of the torque limiters, gets rid of the throttle lag, removes the speed governor, changes your shift points and firmness(auto), etc., etc. The CAI/tuner makes a world of difference.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:04 AM
05 Silvertible
2nd Gear Member

If you got your tune and CAI then got your duals latter would you need a different tune ?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05 Silvertible

If you got your tune and CAI then got your duals latter would you need a different tune ?
Nope. The CAI changes the air/fuel ratio, that's why you need a tune. Exhaust changes may benefit from a tune but it isn't really necessary.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:50 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05silvertible
I had duals installed only a couple weeks after putting in my CAI and tuner. The same tune still works great (I even noticed a little more power thanks to the less restrictive exhaust).

Note: The CAI/tuner was a great mod even without the duals -- I'd already planned both, and it just worked out that they happened so close together. Certainly didn't need duals to realize major gains.

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head
Ok, chime in. What tunes do you guys run 87, Performance or Torque tune?
I run 93 octane torque tune from Bamachips. My priorities are reliable daily driving with quick acceleration at hand whenever I want, so the torque tune is my favorite!

-Tim
Old 04-13-2006, 02:21 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

Ok, chime in. What tunes do you guys run 87, Performance or Torque tune?
I'm running Doug's 92 octane performance tune... though, I may revisit the torque tune for awhile this week.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:36 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

My last tank was 23.49mpg.

I have just about everybolt on out there. tuner, gears, posi, headers, exhaust, shifter, alternator pulley, etc etc.

My mileage could be higher, but i do a lot of highway driving now since i moved, and 75-85mph is between 2500-2800 rpm
Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure why people say the gas mileage is going to increase because it really isn't. If anything it is going to stay the same or go down. If you compare your current fuel mileage using 87 octane to your post tune mileage using higher octane of course you will get sligtly better mpg because of the higher octane. What I think most of you really want to know when you ask if your mpg is going to go down or up is if it will end up costing you more at the pump after a tune and my answer is maybe. Some of you may disagree but pre-tune lets say you are getting 20mpg using 87octane at $2.50/gal. You have a 16 Gal tank so 16x20=320 miles per tank. The highest octane is usually a minimum of $0.20 more per gallon so considering a slight increase in fuel mileage could be 22mpg? Ok, so 22x16=352 miles per tank. so for a fill up from bone dry 87 octane is $40.00, fill up from bone dry with 93 is $43.20.

So...with 87 octane you are paying 40.00 bucks for a tank of gas and getting 320 miles.
With 93 octane you are paying 43.50 for 352 miles.

Thats an extra 32 miles for $3.50 more at the pump

with 87 octane $.125 cost per mile.

with 93 octane $.113 cost per mile.

If your gas station only charges $0.20 more for the highest octane, and you actually see at least 2 miles per gallon increase while using it then it is about .01 cents more economical to buy the higher grade fuel.

Don't jump for joy yet. Other factors are going to go into account once you tune your car. It is my understanding that a CAI brings more air than fuel into your engine and that is why you require the tune. The tune tells the computer to add more fuel to the motor to account for the extra air thus giving you the extra power. Let me say that one more time, the tune is telling the computer to use MORE fuel. The amount of fuel we are talking about though is very minute.

It is my opinion from knowing what I have stated in this post that with a CAI and Tuner your MPG is actually going to go down, but so little that you wont really notice it unless you keep your foot in it.

All in all the Tuner/CAI is a great thing to add to your car for power and that little extra oomph. The only thing that is going to drastically change your fuel economy is you.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:49 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

i got the x-cal 2 with a 91 octaner tune . in the user options can i change the air/fuel ratio up evn though i dont have a air intake? and how much would it help?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

you could change it but it would probably do more harm than good to your car since you dont have the increased airflow to be coupled with it.

Quick Reply: how does a tune affect mileage/fuel grade?