Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

AFE Intake Owners...Report your experiences here

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 08:39 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: AFE Intake Owners...Report your experiences here

I've been thinking about getting the MRT CAI. Anyone got one of those? But I am starting to lean towards either the AFE without a tuner (for awhile) or an MRT or Demolet (either one with a tuner).

Although the Western Motorsports CAI is pretty rad too...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

Rygen iam planning on getting the system installed next week , lets see what happens..
Old 04-10-2006, 10:22 PM
2K5 Legend

I'm pretty sure Doug does a tune for the AFE.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 PM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Default AFE CAI installed - first impressions - Comments welcom

Hi guys,

UPS just showed up and brought the new AFE Stage 1 CAI for my 05 V6 Mustang. The install took me about 1.5 hours, but that is only because I wanted to follow the directions to the letter, and take my time making sure that everything was as it should be. After the install, I took the Stang out for a ride. Got onto a one lane road for a few miles, and I've notice the increase in throttle and power / TQ increase right off the bat. The car is much smoother now, with more noticable power in the 3-5K RPM range. But here is something that bothered me. After a few miles, I got onto a highway, wanting to see how the car felt under heavy accelaration. So I merged onto the highway, and opened it WIDE open. Two things happen.... First, when the RPM got up to just over 5K, I could hear a bit of what I thought was pinging. Not really mechanical in nature, but something different non the less from the engine. Something that I had not heard before. But what really got me concerned, was that at throtle wide open, my car with less than 20K miles on the odomiter, sent out a huge cloud of gray smoke from the tail pipe...
I mean, the car has not done this before the CAI... Anyway, I drove it for about 20 miles normally, got of the highway, and then back on. I did a few more full power accelarations, and saw light smoke for the second time. After a few more, no smoke came out, and the car was perfoming very nicely. Now here is my question..... Has anyone else seen this problem right after the AFE CAI install ?? (no tune after install - by the way)
Looks like after the car got warmer, the problem went away. I will see what happens tomorrow morning going to work, when the car is cold.
I know that the AFE CAI claims that no tuning is necessary, but...... Since I'm putting in a lot more air, and the fuel (I think) stayed the same, then the car is running lean. How about the cloud of gray smoke the first couple of times? Can the on-board computer adjust itself seeing more air in the F/A mixture? Is it smart enough to adjust the timing, and fuel ration by itself as I continue to "break in" the new CAI on my car? What do you guys think? Any comments would be highly appreciated.... Thanks in advance...

Martin

PS. I'll see what happens tomorrow morning when the car is cold. If this continues, do I need to plop down another 400 smackers to get a tuner? My wife would kill me if I buy anything else for the car this year. [&o]
Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I had an AFE before I went FI and it was easy to install and gave a noticable gain. I never dynoed it with just the CAI but with that and a B A M A tune it made 201hp and 238 torque; oh yeah, I also had GT take off duals.