Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MODIFYING THE STOCK AIRBOX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 10:56 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Default MODIFYING THE STOCK AIRBOX

It seems that the reason CAIs such as the AFE flows so much more air than the stock box is because it has much more surface area that is actually exposed to the air. What if you just cut out the bottom of the stock airbox, and eliminate that small restrictive hole in the side that air is sucked through, allowing more air into the stock tube that leads to the throttle body such as the AFE. Then replace the filter with a drop in K&N. The filter would still stay in place because it is held up by flat surfaces half way up the box. I know many people who I talked to who have done this on the old model F-150s etc (my previous car, well truck) and it seemed to work great! Is that at all a good idea for the mustangs?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: INTERESTING

ORIGINAL: nicarc369

I have a question that can easily be ignored if really stupid LOL.

It seems that the reason the AFE flows so much more air than the stock box is because it has much more surface area that is actually exposed to the air. What if you just cut out the bottom of the stock airbox, and eliminate that small restrictive hole in the side that air is sucked through, allowing more air into the stock tube that leads to the throttle body such as the AFE. Then replace the filter with a drop in K&N. The filter would still stay in place because it is held up by flat surfaces half way up the box. I know many people who I talked to who have done this on the old model F-150s etc (my previous car, well truck) and it seemed to work great! Is that at all a good idea for the mustangs?
I have heard of people doing this on older cars, but not on these cars. Keep in mind if you flow too much air into the TB, you will need a retune or you will lean out the car.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

such as this...

http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_79751/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-09-2006, 11:25 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

does anyone know how much more air is acceptable without a tune?

rygenstormlocke: what does lean refer to on these cars? Im almost sure its the air/fuel ratio but I want to make sure

The stock tubing only allows a certain amount of air in and isn't it when you increase the diameter of this tubing with a better filter that results in the car running lean?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

does anyone know how much more air is acceptable without a tune?

rygenstormlocke: what does lean refer to on these cars? Im almost sure its the air/fuel ratio but I want to make sure
Yes, air fuel ratio. If you let too much air in, you have more air than fuel, thus lean out your tune. This makes more power, but can also cause detonation that can lead to engine damage, even on NA. Thats why CAI's, SC, TC and Nitrous setups need professional tunes, to add fuel to make sure you do not get detonation.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:32 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

curious LOL...

The stock tubing only allows a certain amount of air in and isn't it when you increase the diameter of this tubing with a better filter that results in the car running lean?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:39 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

curious LOL...

You can increase the air with just a CAI that does not include tube. Our maf tube is pretty big actually and flows pretty well. Just giving you a heads up. I have seen CAI kits that require retune that do not include maf tube.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:45 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

I have seen CAI kits that require retune that do not include maf tube.
\]

LOL, thats were I was getting but for some reason didn't think to ask LOL
Old 04-09-2006, 11:49 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I have seen CAI kits that require retune that do not include maf tube.
\]

LOL, thats were I was getting but for some reason didn't think to ask LOL
The MAC CAI is a perfect example, dosent have a MAF tube, but requires a retune.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

THNXS!

Quick Reply: MODIFYING THE STOCK AIRBOX