Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How do you wash your pony?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:48 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How do you wash your pony?

when i first got my car i washed it so much i threw my shoulder out. so now i get it washed and keep it up with my cal duster and quick detailer. and lots of micro fiber towels
Old 04-15-2006, 12:48 AM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers
quote:

4. Soap, scrub, and rinse the wheels and tires, using a scrubbing brush.

I've heard people say this before. Does scrubbing with a brush do something for tires? I figured that a sponge would be ample.

Ken
I use a scrub brush because my wheels and tires seem to get dirtier than the body of the car (makes sense, as they actually touch the ground, I guess ). The brush helps get some of the stubborn stuff off and allows me to keep the wash mitt clean for use on the rest of the car.

The brush I use is not overly tough. I forget the brand name (maybe Turtle?) but it's green plastic with a short handle, a head about the size of my palm, and yellow (nylon?) bristles maybe two or three inches in length. With a little elbow grease it seems to clean the wheels and tires better than the mitt used to.

What's the best product to keep wheels and tires looking shiny and new?

Tim
Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

I wash my car with turtle wax soap(dont use dishsoap anyone unless you want the finish on your car dull), then i dry the car with a leather shammy(leaves no streaks ever), then i wax the car with meguiars and wax off with a T-Shirt or cheese cloth(both dont leave scratches, then i wash the car again for the finishing touch...i dont armoral anything accept the tires and plastic engine components, and with the windows and dash i use a moist rag to whipe it down and i dry one to whipe away the streaks...then vacuum the inside and im done...i also take off the license plate during all of this, and go through all the seems on the car and clean them out with a paint brush then once all of this is done i will go through the engine bay and make sure all is perfect.

Also anyone have any ways to remove scratches done by high heels on the door sill? my girlfriend accidentally did em (i hate imperfections i think about them all the time)
Old 04-15-2006, 04:46 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

the best tire shine i have found is this stuff in an orange bottle called extreme tire shine or tire wet i forget but its amazing. I also use a 3 step meguiars system on my car.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I use "No Touch" tire spray. The tires look dripping wet after. I do have some concern as to whether such products "dry out" the rubber over time (kind of like Chap Stick on your lips).

Ken
Old 04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

armor all makes stuff to help "rejuvinate" your tires... its a foam you spray on and let it run off... then you put more tire shine to screw it back up again! but hey it looks good
Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

14. Get off water with the California Water Blade (as much as possible)
I got one of these a couple weeks ago and man is it awesome! I was really reluctant at first, as to whether or not it would actually work and if it would scratch the paint. Well, it works really well and the only way you'll scratch the paint is if something gets caught under the blade. It works really well on the windows too (better than most regular squeegees!)
Old 04-18-2006, 01:30 PM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

The black paint in killing me. Plus, I've got some hard water spots, including on the windows, that just WILL NOT COME OFF!!
I'm sure I'll eventually find the right routine and/or combination of cleaning products, but for now I'm driving myself, and my wife crazy... which is fitting I suppose, since all the neighbors think I must be insane because every time they walk out of their house, I'm outside cleaning my car yet again... lol!
Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

I also use the Absorber, and yeah you can buy at WalMart in my area. On top of that I use my leaf blower to power water out of cracks, windows, around the grill, etc. Neighbors thought I was nuts, but now I see a couple of them doing the same.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

I'd be washing mine today but the wind kicked up and when that happens I get more washed than the car usually.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/D9FD01C8A02443A5A8AF56AEBFF12C19.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: How do you wash your pony?