Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going to get the American Thunders

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:34 PM
AllBlack02

Default Going to get the American Thunders

After all the Consideration and long hard thinking I have decided to go dual. Right now I have a single MRT and am very pleased, but honestly, all my friends say that outside when I am going fast, It sounds like rice. I know I don't want to get hung on here for saying that but that is their opinion. So it's gonna cost me about 450 bucks for the super 40's and I am doing an H-pipe. I see tha rygen has the X so I wanna go H. Wish me luck and I'll post pics when I'm done. Hopefully this setup will be better than the single MRT. Performance Wise.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30974/6DFDC5F4A0784FE1A15DDF610F3A8C91.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Going to get the American Thunders

The super 40's are not the mufflers that rygen has and there not the american thunder series mufflers the american thunder series are these http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=4009, if I were you I would just stick with what you have I mean you spent $300 and its the best performance wise I Have dual MRTs and its been a pain, I still havent go it where I want it and its been like 3 months so IMO I would just stay with what you have and get something else with the money like a t-lock or somethin! Anyway if you decide to go through good luck!
Old 04-14-2006, 08:50 PM
AllBlack02

The ones at the shop are all black flowmasters like the one on their website and under the section where it says American Thunder, the top is off so you can see the inside and it's actual name is probably Super 40's. You have dual MRT's and what has been the pain. You don't like the sound, or performance. Let me know
Old 04-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

It sounds great its so loud, the only problem is theres alot of interior drone at about 2000rpm but the people at mrt are really helpful and are going to try to help us fix it and I think they said there going to send resinators to see if that will help it and the shop that installed the dual exhaust did a great job but everytime I hit a bump or sometimes just press the gas and you can here the exhaust banging or moving its so weird but if you touch the mufflers they wont move at all I think its the piping so when I get the resinators I will have someone else install it hopefully this place Lamotta Performance will do it cause all they work on is mustangs nothing else but like I said its definetely not worth the money or stress unless they do it right the first time, so if you are going to go through with it just make sure you have a really good shop, oh and by the way the are both black those were the mufflers I was originally going to get through the shop but they kept getting the wrong inlet size so I just said let me order the mrts, not trying to ruin you hopes or anything just want to let you know thats what were here for but good luck I hope it goes great with you!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 PM
AllBlack02

I know exactly what hitting because ever since I replaced my single axel back over bumps the piping hits the something too. I know exactly what you mean. I think its the black bar that goes from one side to the other because if you bang on it with metal it makes the same noise I hear in the car. Thats what worries me too is problems in the future.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:24 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I had a similar problem with the banging noise; it turned out that the pipes were hitting the rearend housing when I'd go over a decent size bump. The muffler shop that installed my GT takeoffs fixed it by shortening the pipes at the X, creating a little more room between the pipes and axle.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:26 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

its kind of funny to because when you go over a bump it sounds like your pipes are falling off.....lol. Yea mines does it too.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

oh yea but back on topic i am also thinking of going with the flowmasters my magnaflows sound good at idle and when i rev but when im driving they dont have that same effect. I know that we cant acheive the v8 sound but i am hoping that if i get some mac headers and flowmasters that it would give me what i want.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:09 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Mine are the American Thunders, but research indicates that they are Super 40's designed to fit 05 hangers.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:14 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Mine are the American Thunders, but research indicates that they are Super 40's designed to fit 05 hangers.
does your still have that buzzing in the exhaust or is it more of a gurggle

Quick Reply: Going to get the American Thunders