Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone ever had a throttle stick ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
05 Silvertible
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone ever had a throttle stick ??

Finally got a chance to take my car on a decent drive. Going down Hwy 75 (a 2 laner) I was passing traffic when the coast was clear. Well, on about my third car passed I had to actually floor it because another car popped up on the horizon so I floored it and got back over in my lane and started to push the brake and nothing happened !![:-] I let off the brake and my car spead back up more. I had no idea what was happening, as my *** is sucking to the leather seats, I hit off on my cruise control just in case it was going nuts, then realized that the pedal was still on the floor!![:-] I shifted my car into neutral and got over to the shoulder, when I had coasted to about 25 mph I heard a thud ( no it wasnt in my pants ) and the pedal sprang up.
All joking aside i was scared Sh**less. Then I got pissed. Had this been my wife I dont think she would have known what to do ( no offense ladies ). Now what do you think I should do ? I just dont want to bebop into the service bay and talk to an advisor. Should I call and ask for the Service Manager? THis is a safety issue. I drove it for the rest of the weeked and floored it one other time and everything was OK but I am still worried. Also I have Rousch pedals and they will probably just blame the AM pedals for it anyway. If I go in there and raise a little hell do you think I could get my brake done under warranty since the throttle stuck and I mashed the hell out of them first cuz I thought the brakes just werent working before I noticed the pedal was stuck? I need advise before I go in there tomm. AM please
Old 04-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone ever had a throttle stick ??

By chance did it get cought up in the floor mat? I was reading somewhere that Ford was thinking of some service call do to this happening.

Kev
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

it happened to a guy who lives around me, heard about it on the news

he ended up crashing at like 60-some mph, he was alright (at last we know our cars are safe in crashes)
Old 04-18-2006, 12:34 AM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Holy sh**! Im never going to floor it again!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:40 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

happend to me about 3 time so far the floor mat creeps up. luckaly i had time to react! i keep having to remember to hook the mat on the clip. i may add another one, cause it looks like the carpet on the actual floor is tearing big feet and all (size 13 ee). dont want this happening once the x-charger is installed !
Old 04-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

thats scary shi*... i would be pissed to say the least if that happened and scared
Old 04-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Crazyi82

ORIGINAL: 05 Silvertible

Finally got a chance to take my car on a decent drive. Going down Hwy 75 (a 2 laner) I was passing traffic when the coast was clear. Well, on about my third car passed I had to actually floor it because another car popped up on the horizon so I floored it and got back over in my lane and started to push the brake and nothing happened !![:-] I let off the brake and my car spead back up more. I had no idea what was happening, as my *** is sucking to the leather seats, I hit off on my cruise control just in case it was going nuts, then realized that the pedal was still on the floor!![:-] I shifted my car into neutral and got over to the shoulder, when I had coasted to about 25 mph I heard a thud ( no it wasnt in my pants ) and the pedal sprang up.
All joking aside i was scared Sh**less. Then I got pissed. Had this been my wife I dont think she would have known what to do ( no offense ladies ). Now what do you think I should do ? I just dont want to bebop into the service bay and talk to an advisor. Should I call and ask for the Service Manager? THis is a safety issue. I drove it for the rest of the weeked and floored it one other time and everything was OK but I am still worried. Also I have Rousch pedals and they will probably just blame the AM pedals for it anyway. If I go in there and raise a little hell do you think I could get my brake done under warranty since the throttle stuck and I mashed the hell out of them first cuz I thought the brakes just werent working before I noticed the pedal was stuck? I need advise before I go in there tomm. AM please
That'd definitely wake me up!
Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 AM
tomsa55
1st Gear Member

wow, you did good... I've had my throttle stick open while the cruse control was on, I had floored it to pass some slower traffic, then when I let up on the pedal, the car started to accelerate again like it was while passing, hit the brakes just a tap and that seems to fix it. These car's are fully drive by wire, so there are probably some glitches in the programing code. There is a service bulletin out for the pedal getting stuck or hungup on the carpet. I'd just tell your service rep at the dealership the throttle stuck open while passing traffic, and you had to do some hard braking to control vehicle. Tell them you want them check brakes for heat damage, and if there are any service bulletins out on this issue you expect them to fix it.

Ford's libilty here on this car and these type of issues has ther *** hanging out, so they will check out your vehicle and fix it, under warrenty ! I beleive the service bulletin has some type of backing plate on the pedal or a smooth friction mat on the carpet to prevent the gas pedal from hanging up in the carpet.

Your throttle is a drive by wire system, that is your gas pedal is connected to a rotary transducer, this send a signal to the computer that then sends a signal to the throttle body to open or close the throttle plate. If the gas pedal gets hungup on the carpet, then the throttle plate will respond as if your flooring it !

Nothing is perfect, no computer software is bug-free or error free, no manufacturing process, expecialy one that has typical free market cost's ver benifits/profit is free from glitches, defects, and unforseen issues. The amazing thing is if you have education in engineering or manufacturing you have to just be impressed with where we have gone in just the last 20 years to improving the reliabilty of the automobile.

(sorry for my terrible spelling)

Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Aye...the same happened to me too. I believe it was that darn mat that made the pedal stick. I also have the issue of the hook tearing the carpet. You would figure they would design the hook to be part of the floor and not the carpet.

We could always put in the metal flooring to solve the problem -
Old 04-18-2006, 10:56 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

WHAT THIS IS BS!!! I've never experienced this one!!!! If my throttle stuck to the floor my car would have been at the dealership shortly after, like 2 hours after. Thats a life situation right there. What are you gunna do at the track with that ****. Do all you guys have automatics? Has this happened to any manuals. I used the cruise control once and it was fine. Plus i've floored it enough to know it has not done it to me yet, but thats a crazy issue!! and it needs to be addressed.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had a throttle stick ??