Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oil Change was a bi***

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change was a bi***

I have yet to do an oil change. I have a Ford Mustang Repair DVD that I have yet to look at. Is the filter located on the backside of the engine? My Cavalier was like that. When the filter came off, oil would spill over the exhaust, giving a beautiful smell that lasted for days.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Disregard this.... double post for some silly reason.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

Oil change procedure:

drive to sam galloway ford.

pull in service bay.

toss the guy the keyes and say change the oil.

wait 30 minutes while walking around the lot looking at saleens and other stangs.

comeback daydreaming about the saleen supercharged and the ford gt.

get in the 6banger stang and realize it good to own any mustang.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:46 AM
option81

i remove the front passenger wheel, then jack it up. i do this i dont like crawling under the car. much easier to reach oil drain plug and oil filter.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 AM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I was thinking of pulling the wheel off too... but too lazy after I had already pulled out the ramps and rolled her onto them - lol

and I don't trust giving my keys to anyone! Not even Mrs. Screamin. I had my car in the dealership only once for the first oil change after the Magnaflows went in, and I heard them revving that exhaust, and from what I could hear they realllly enjoyed it. No way I would give it to anyone now with all the mod's bolted on.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I don't see anything particularly tough about doing the oil on the 4.0. Up on a set of inexpensive rhino ramps, pull the plug and filter, drain, replace plug and install new filter. Fill oil. Total time: 10 minutes labor + however long you want to wait to let every last drop of dirty oil drain.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

LOL -- try it and you'll see. The oil filter is in a strange spot and when you take it out you are bound to spill all over the axle. If you are laying under it you need to reah over the side or else you'll have a great big brown spot on your face.

And with all the plumbing from the S/C it's even tighter to reach around.

Nonetheless - it takes about 20 minutes time with setting up and then cleaning and putting stuff away. Heck Jiffy Lube wanted $35 bucks for them to do it - and that was with me supplying my own oil and filter! I did it myself and then bought a 12 pack of Sam Adam's and a nice big steak for the grill. It was great bonding time
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I've already done it three times already. Like I said, I don't find it a huge hassle, and definitely better for my peace of mind that trusting it to 17 year old Timmy at the local Jiffy Lube

ORIGINAL: screaminyellin6

LOL -- try it and you'll see. The oil filter is in a strange spot and when you take it out you are bound to spill all over the axle. If you are laying under it you need to reah over the side or else you'll have a great big brown spot on your face.

And with all the plumbing from the S/C it's even tighter to reach around.

Nonetheless - it takes about 20 minutes time with setting up and then cleaning and putting stuff away. Heck Jiffy Lube wanted $35 bucks for them to do it - and that was with me supplying my own oil and filter! I did it myself and then bought a 12 pack of Sam Adam's and a nice big steak for the grill. It was great bonding time
Old 04-19-2006, 01:44 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

LOL -- Timmy works over at that Jiffy too? Boy that kid gets around... I agree - peace of mind doing it yourself is definitly worth the time it takes to setup and then clean up...

Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

I wrote something about this a while back. My Stang is 3 months old. I changed the oil at 1000 miles (break in)
I've been changing my own oil since I was 16 (30 years) Anyway no matter how hard I tried the damn filter would not budge.
I took it to an oil change place and TWO guys had to break it off!! This has happened to my before with new cars, trucks. At the factory they always overtighten them without lubing them. Anyway they did not want to charge me anything because I brought them the replacement filter. I gave them $20 anyway told them to buy lunch on me. After this it should get easier, never overtighten the filter, lube the gasket and only turn 1/4 turn after you feel it tightening. OH AND ALSO THEY COME WITH A SYNTHETIC BLEND. DO NOT put regular oil in it and if you are switching to full Synth wait until 10K miles. Hope that helps.
BY THE WAY< I FORGOT WHAT SIZE WRECH FITS THE OIL DRAIN BOLT ANYONE REMEMBER??? THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Oil Change was a bi***