Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Don't turn the steering wheel with the ignition off!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Default Don't turn the steering wheel with the ignition off!

Yeah, seems dumb in retrospect, right?

Yesterday I parked hurriedly and jumped out of my car only to notice that my wheels were at about a 45 degree angle, turned hard left. I didn't want to leave them like that for a long time, so I figured, why not just open the door and give the wheel a couple turns to the right. Sure, the power steering will be off, but I'll just muscle it; no problem.

Well... The steering wheel turned about halfway around before I heard a sound halfway between "click" and "crunch" that made my heart practically skip a beat. After that, the wheel was completely immobile.

Ok, calm down, I thought. No biggie. Just turn on the car and the steering wheel will turn like normal. I sat down, inserted the key, and... nothing. It wouldn't turn! I applied a little more pressure until it felt like the key was about to snap off in my sweating fingers.

After about 30 seconds, 50 bad words, and 100 pulses of my blood, I finally thought to try turning the steering wheel (back and forth in both directions) as I turned the key in the ignition. After a couple attempts, I managed to turn the wheel just far enough to allow the key to start the engine (at which point the steering wheel sort of jumped through my hands and everything was fine).

Moral of the story:

1. Don't turn the steering wheel if your car is off.

2. If you do, and it gets stuck, try turning the steering wheel while starting the car in order to get the ignition to work.

Happy Easter!
Tim

Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Don't turn the steering wheel with the ignition off!

Sage advice. Don't feel too bad, straighten the wheels is something I'd do too. It doesn't pay to be too **** does it? Oh well, can't help the way we're wired.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:35 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lmao that sucks... well you wouldnt have had an issue if your key was in the on position even if the car is off

also i park very often with the tires turned... it doesnt hurt anything

its just not recomended to store your car that way
Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

i park all the time w./ the wheels turned.. u just gotta remember that they are turned.. so u dont hit other cars backing out or driving away...

i park it that way cause it gives it that aggressive look i love. lol
Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

as i pulll in my drive way i usually park closest to the road and as i drive in, im too lazy to turn the wheel back
Old 04-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that just the steering wheel lock? All you have to do is tug the wheel slightly to the side, and the key will free up.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:58 PM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Traken
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that just the steering wheel lock? All you have to do is tug the wheel slightly to the side, and the key will free up.
Ha! You're probably right -- I just had no idea that such a thing as "steering wheel lock" existed on our cars, so when my key wouldn't turn, I was at a total loss.

Is there a reason the wheel locks?

Tim
Old 04-19-2006, 12:03 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

haha this actually happens with all cars....it happened to me A LOT when i was learning how to drive, frustrated me and always ended up with my dad yelling because i coule not get it out, and he could do it easily...lol
Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

It locks as an anti-theft measure; if they can't steer it they steal it.
ORIGINAL: 0to60

ORIGINAL: Traken
Ha! You're probably right -- I just had no idea that such a thing as "steering wheel lock" existed on our cars, so when my key wouldn't turn, I was at a total loss.

Is there a reason the wheel locks?

Tim
Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

even my old 70vert has a steering wheel lock

and if i remember correctly the 1073 barracuda im restoring also has the lock, along with everycar my family has owned

Quick Reply: Don't turn the steering wheel with the ignition off!