Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 mustang v6 american thunder flowmaster installed. How it compares to the rest..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 PM
hapkido13

Default 05 mustang v6 american thunder flowmaster installed. How it compares to the rest..

Well first off I heard the Magnaflow and the JBA evolve exhaust for the v6. I was going to get the JBA which I thought sounder much better than the Magnaflow. I heard flowmaster made one for the v6. I was skeptical to buy it without hearing it first. I didnt want it to sound like a loud gocart like 90 percent of the cars sound like. I went ahead and bought it and had it put on. I was Amazed at how it sounds. The people that put it on said that it sounded like a v8 and said that was the first car that sounded like true v8 that wasnt. Iam very happy with it and would reccomend it.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 PM
hapkido13

Default RE: 05 mustang v6 american thunder flowmaster installed. How it compares to the rest..

Has anyone heard the Bassani ss exhaust? Thats the only one I havent really heard yeton the single v6. Also a quick question. By putting on that flowmaster, will it increase my gas mileage or Horsepower any? My dad tells me it does nothing.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:54 PM
hapkido13

Default RE: 05 mustang v6 american thunder flowmaster installed. How it compares to the rest..

The weird thing was, after I put it on and floored my car, I didnt see any hp gains. I actually thought it may of been slightly slower. When I push the gas down, it seemed to take a longer time to react to go. Can any person varify this or spread some insight? I have read up on some forums and found this...
.Different levels of backpressure effect various aspects of a car's performance. Depending on the tuning of the exhaust, backpressure can be used to charge the exhaust stroke, using the resonating wave to help draw the exhaust gases out of the engine more effectively. Certain exhaust additions (such as H and X pipes) attempt to multiply this effect for better exhaust gas scavenging. Going to too large a pipe can actually negatively impact performance as the exhaust waves will lose significant energy before leaving the car, resulting in a loss of low end and midrange power.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

it WOULD increase your gas mileage but for me it went down couldnt resiste the sound
Old 04-19-2006, 11:10 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

flowmasters were called slow masters for a reason

flowmaster has chambers which restrict exhaust flow..
comparing to magnaflow

which has a straight through design making less noise

but of course magnaflows are aslo called magnadrones for a reason
Old 04-20-2006, 01:01 AM
rebelyell06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hapkido13

Well first off I heard the Magnaflow and the JBA evolve exhaust for the v6. I was going to get the JBA which I thought sounder much better than the Magnaflow. I heard flowmaster made one for the v6. I was skeptical to buy it without hearing it first. I didnt want it to sound like a loud gocart like 90 percent of the cars sound like. I went ahead and bought it and had it put on. I was Amazed at how it sounds. The people that put it on said that it sounded like a v8 and said that was the first car that sounded like true v8 that wasnt. Iam very happy with it and would reccomend it.
I was going to get the American Thunder series for my GT, but decided to go the little bit cheaper route and just get the 40 series. Saved about 250 bucks that way and sound just as good if not better.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:31 AM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rebelyell06

ORIGINAL: hapkido13

I was going to get the American Thunder series for my GT, but decided to go the little bit cheaper route and just get the 40 series. Saved about 250 bucks that way and sound just as good if not better.
you also have the v8 to back it up
Old 04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

flowmasters were called slow masters for a reason

flowmaster has chambers which restrict exhaust flow..
comparing to magnaflow

which has a straight through design making less noise

but of course magnaflows are aslo called magnadrones for a reason
I was worried about my flowmasters restricting exhaust flow, and hurting my times. But to be honest, my times have only improved by 4/10s since changing from magnapacks (straight throughs) to flow masters. So I really wonder how restrictive they are?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:19 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well all dual systems will help out a V6 as far as basic hp and torque gains go, it's just that, I'm guessing, you don't have any supporting mods to go with it, which is why you didn't feel a big gain in hp and torque, get a few more mods on that puppy, and once they start supporting and complementing each other, you'll slowly, but surely notice gains. Yes they will increas mpg a hair, that is as long as you aren't flooring it all the time. Oh, you sound close to a V8, not like one, park next to a GT and you'll see what I mean. I have mags and love them, and I don't have a drone problem, sounds nice and deep with a hair bit of loudness, not much, and has nice sound quality and controle, that's something flows don't have, and it keeps this thoughout all rpms. Bassini is like mags in that it has excellent sound controle, but instead of being deep with a touch of loud, they are more mellow and high tuned, if you get my drift, sounding. Borlas are about the best for sound quality and controle, but they are expensive as hell. Now I have no experiance with JBA yet, but from what I herd they have great sound quality and controle.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
RedAlertlb
3rd Gear Member

i think all of the older stangs sound better because the mufflers are not at the end of the pipes unlike ours

Quick Reply: 05 mustang v6 american thunder flowmaster installed. How it compares to the rest..