Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....

Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....

ORIGINAL: orion6g

Is it just me or does racing automatics seem kinda pointless?
It's just you. That's the same kind of narrow minded crap we get from the GT guys about V6s. The top drag racers all use automatics.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

ORIGINAL: orion6g

Is it just me or does racing automatics seem kinda pointless?
its jsut you.. stock for stock.. a manual should beat the auto... but if the auto had the same rwhp the auto shuld eat the manual.. autos shift faster than a person can, and i dont care if your mario andredi (sp?) not to mention todays autos are far more advanced than the ones of yesterday, todays trannys you can program shift points and etc.. (electronically and hydrolically) back then it was all with the fluid.. once your tranny worked the way it did from factory the only way you could beef up your tranny was a shift kit (slapshift style) so you can control the RPMS youshifted at to keep your car in the meat.. autos tended to fall out of hte power as they went into the next gear

i can get really technical about this.. but im trying to keep it simple lol

I love my automatic... but as it came from Ford it did have some drawbacks...

1) Ford love soft shifts... they don't want you to feel any clunks... it has to be smooth... This equates to SLOW shifts! They reduce the power (by a LOT!) during the shift... and they make them so soft it take forever for the shift to complete... Stock my car didn't feel like it was shifting gears... it felt more like it was sliding from gear to gear! LOL! A Tune from Lidio fixed that right up! His tune reduced my 0 to 60 time by .25!

2) The shift schedule is designed to maximize fuel economy... not fun and performance! Stock the car is upshift happy at light throttle... WOT is ok... but at part throttle you can be in 3rd gear by 16MPH!!! I've got my car set so it doesn't come out of first until at least 16MPH regardless of throttle postion! That way if i'm safely rolling through an intersection I'm not in 3rd gear when I get through the intersection... that way if I decide to stomp on it after i've cleared the intersection i don't have to downshift! I'm in the right gear! good to go! LOL!

Now that my tranny has been tailored to my driving style it's simply amazing! I love this tranny! And mine has certain seen it's fair share of abuse!!! LOL!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

hey scrming, how do you get it to shift later when its at part throttle? I think my auto still shifts too early even after the tune, but i did notice that it doesnt come out of certain gears untill a certain speed now.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:20 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justang05

hey scrming, how do you get it to shift later when its at part throttle? I think my auto still shifts too early even after the tune, but i did notice that it doesnt come out of certain gears untill a certain speed now.

if your SCT Tuner provided you with a copy of your tunes you can download Xtereme Tune from SCT and modify your shift schedule. You'll need an USB printer cable to connect your X-Cal2 to your PC...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:28 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

copy of tunes? like on paper? i went on the sct site but didnt see anything. I feel dumb...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: justang05

copy of tunes? like on paper? i went on the sct site but didnt see anything. I feel dumb...
No, more like files on your computer. Or on a disc. You can also download the files from your tuner to your computer to modify them.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:44 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Oh...yea i have the canned tunes from Alternativeauto. Now i just need that freagin cable! Me feels smarter!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:55 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

you wanna go to 1, then 2, then drive...unless there is a third then go to that. When you are in those modes you are able to shift at redline.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:38 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

yeah but int eh heat of the moment youll push the shifter right to neutral... there are no stops per manual gear.. to install these stops for hte price you might as well get a tuner
Old 04-22-2006, 07:46 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

yeah but int eh heat of the moment youll push the shifter right to neutral... there are no stops per manual gear.. to install these stops for hte price you might as well get a tuner

huh? If i put my car in 1 and push it forward it stops at D unless I push in the button... I have to push the button in to get into Neutral... ????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....