Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 AM
hapkido13

Default Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....

I was just wondering If I am at a dead stop at a traffic light and was going to race, what would be the fastest 0-60 time for my car? I mean (1) having my overdrive off and just flooring it like normal. (2) putting my car into overdrive mode and florring it. (3)Putting my car into gear 1 and shifting manually from 123? I need a experts opinion on this and was just wondering. My other question is what if im already cruising and want to race? Does anyone know which is the fastest racing mode for the 05stang?
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....

Street racing is bad[>:]
Old 04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Randys06v6
1st Gear Member

ya what he said [>:]
Old 04-21-2006, 11:57 AM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

it doesnt matter whether its in overdrive or not if you are going from a stand still but if you are already movingi would turn the overdrive off just so it one less gear your car has to shift through, that way it can go straight to 3rd or 2nd or whatever. Make sure you break your car in first. And as the others said, street racing is bad! [:-]
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Actually, from a dead stop, OD on or off doesn't do squat, it's when you're already moving that it can cause issuses. But I say do this much, turn the OD off, ya know, just incase, as well as your A/C (yes the a/c because it can zap up to 20 from your car) and turn the sterio down or off, remember every little bit of voltage helps. Now you can either just gun it off the line, or lauch your car by holding the break and going up to about 2000-2500 rpms then letting off, only catch is that this can destroy an automattic in time, and you'll also have to practice doing that, because rev too high, and all you'll do is spin out, rev to low, and you're not accomplishing anything.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM
hapkido13

I heard with the new cars, your aircondition will not be affected with performance. It just seemed like having od off it revs the rpm's up higher before shifting. To me when im cruising with od, the rpm's are low, so when I floor it, it gives you a little throwback. When OD is off, the engine revs higher and barely touching the gas itll move, but when floored it doesn't seem to have the throwback. I def dont want to ruin my transmission.

I have already raced 2 cars.

1. Nissan maxima v6 - I had od on at a standstill from the light. We took off and mine jumped ahead a little bit. His car was side by side hanging with me, but after we got up to 40+ I started to leave him.

2. Toyata celica gt - We were rolling about 15mph before we both punched it. I was side by side, but same thing after about 40 plus I pulled away slowly from him.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:33 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

As long as the AC is connected to the crank pulley by a belt, your rwhp will be affected. Now how much on your year, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's between 10-20 hp loss.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hapkido13

I heard with the new cars, your aircondition will not be affected with performance. It just seemed like having od off it revs the rpm's up higher before shifting. To me when im cruising with od, the rpm's are low, so when I floor it, it gives you a little throwback. When OD is off, the engine revs higher and barely touching the gas itll move, but when floored it doesn't seem to have the throwback. I def dont want to ruin my transmission.

I have already raced 2 cars.

1. Nissan maxima v6 - I had od on at a standstill from the light. We took off and mine jumped ahead a little bit. His car was side by side hanging with me, but after we got up to 40+ I started to leave him.

2. Toyata celica gt - We were rolling about 15mph before we both punched it. I was side by side, but same thing after about 40 plus I pulled away slowly from him.
You should've pulled the Celica GT bad, they are very slow cars...but then again you were at a roll so lost much of your advantage. Don't roll race in this car.

Best to save it for the track though, but i'm just as guilty of doing those stoplight to stoplight sprint races also.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

GT Celica.........slow..........ha...........try driving a 98 V6 Mustang.......it's the definition of slow.[&o]
Old 04-21-2006, 02:05 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

GT Celica.........slow..........ha...........try driving a 98 V6 Mustang.......it's the definition of slow.[&o]
You think could a 98 v6 Mustang take a Celica GT? They're mid 16 sec cars in manual-low 17 in auto, is a 98 v6 really that slow?

Quick Reply: Question about racing my 05 v6 mustang. Need some advice.....