Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gas mileage gains

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Blueeyes

Default RE: Gas mileage gains

Slightly off topic.
If this makes you feel any better, my F350 with a 29 gallon tank (which is the small one-it would be 37 gal if I had a long bed) just cost me over $75 to re-fill with less than 24 gallons. Had to swipe my credit card twice to fill it.

I hate when that happens.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:32 PM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blueeyes

Slightly off topic.
If this makes you feel any better, my F350 with a 29 gallon tank (which is the small one-it would be 37 gal if I had a long bed) just cost me over $75 to re-fill with less than 24 gallons. Had to swipe my credit card twice to fill it.

I hate when that happens.
Hehe...one of my other vehicles is a 2000 Excursion with V10 and a 44 gal tank I never let it get below 1/2 tank...it's too painful..lol.

The GOOD news is that work is only 4 miles away and I get about 11mpg with that type of driving.

The Mustang comes in handy for running kids around town! "Can I drive your car, Honey? It gets better mileage than my truck" hehe
Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Blueeyes

Hehe...one of my other vehicles is a 2000 Excursion with V10 and a 44 gal tank I never let it get below 1/2 tank...it's too painful..lol.

The GOOD news is that work is only 4 miles away and I get about 11mpg with that type of driving.

The Mustang comes in handy for running kids around town! "Can I drive your car, Honey? It gets better mileage than my truck" hehe
LOL! Exact same story here. V10 in the truck and the wife commandeered the mustang pretty much. I sometimes feel like her stable boy. "Here honey, check out this mod...don't turn traction control off!" Watch mustang roar off into the night for an hour woo-hoo ride, and then most of the next week days to work...

She uses it very effectively as a bargaining chip...
Her-"Honey will you take the kid to daycare today"
Me-"Uh, I was gonna take the Harley today..."
Her-"I'll let you drive the mustang to work today!"
Me-"Yes dear" 8^)))

I'm not sure who is using the psychology here though. I guess we both have an agenda...
Old 04-22-2006, 01:55 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

The easy solution is to send the oil tankers to Iraq to get as much oil out of them as we possibly can since we are spending billions over there already of our tax dollars and Liberals claim that we "invaded Iraq because of Oil".
I like Chrisc65 solution but 1 barrel for each illigal is too low. Over 30% of our jail population are illigals at $50K a year to keep them plus leggal fees and such. Also to provide medical help, education, government aid to illegals families cost us around $30-50K per illegal.
If oil cost $70/barrel now that means we should charge 750 barrels per year for each illigal. This should keep both sides happy, correct ?
If we had a president who had ***** to stand up to those that screw us, oh well. All we can do is to complain.
My 2c.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==We need to look at our government leaders for letting big oil companies and the Mid-East and Africa for screwing us.

We pay through the nose for a barrel of their oil then turn around and hand them all the money they want in forgien aid. ==

Normally I avoid political discussion like the plague, but honestly we have so totally screwed ourselves on this deal. Our private oil industries went over there and built EVERYTHING for those people. They didn't have the technology, brainpower or willpower to do any of it. I'm not saying they are stupid/ lazy, but at the time all of the infrastructure was going in these were very primitive countries. Their standard of living has improved dramatically all thanks to us. Without us they would still be sitting on a huge pile of oil with no ability to extract it. And what "thanks" do we get for this? The president of Iran stating this week that rich countries like us should "pay the price" for their oil while they sell oil to "deprived" countries at greatly reduced rates. He was bordering on gleeful at oil topping 75.00 a barrel and his regime has stated several times that 100.00 a barrel is where they think the price should baseline. And here we sit, smiling away and paying out the nose for oil and gas while they thumb their noses at us. My hope is that these high prices will lead to lifestyle changes here in the US that dramatically reduce our need for oil which in turn would cause oil futures to plummet. Wipe that smile off the Irani president's face. Man, it's frustrating to be stuck in this position, a country with our power and wealth completely dependent on others who aren't friendly to us just to keep our economic machine running.

End rant
Old 04-22-2006, 02:22 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

I know this sounds crazy, but with the way gas prices are at, I'm glad I got a 6.

Monster Garage proved you could have a high performance electric car. If there was a way to do the same thing with a Mustang an make it realistic for cross-country driving, then I would have no problem doing a conversion. But the problem with electricity, is that the generators at power companies need a fuel source (coal, oil, etc.) to operate. So methanol is a viable alternative fuel option.

The Alaskan debate has to do with endangered species and forestry, without the trees (we need those to breathe), then we can't breathe. The slash and burn de-forestation of the Amazon Rainforest in Brazil has made it so that more and more forests, wetlands, etc. are protected.

Also, you should look up "Peak Oil". Research that and it will flip your wig.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:52 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

why are yuo using 93 octane ??????????????
Old 04-22-2006, 06:10 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

I dont think taking oil from Alaska is going to sufficate the world... And I think why Bush isnt being aggressive anymore is because when he was being aggressive he was pissing everyone off. But some people are impossible to please... I mean, its not like being the president of one of the most powerful countries in the world can be an easy job right???
Old 04-22-2006, 06:19 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justang05
I mean, its not like being the president of one of the most powerful countries in the world can be an easy job right???
If it were an easy job Bush probably wouldn't be as lousy at it as he is.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Jiraiya
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Just wow. Would any of you whiny people like to tell me what other country you would like to live in that has lower gas prices than us? In Europe and Israel, last time I was there (several years ago, when people where griping here about the possibility of prices skyrocketing to TWO dollar gas), they were paying over three dollars per liter. Not per gallon, per LITER.

I'm not saying that you can't gripe about gas prices, but have some fricking perspective. This country and its government are FAR from being the incompetent slaves to "foreign oil" that some people seem to think we are.

Oh, and by the way, would any of you like to hazard a guess as to the number one and two suppliers of crude oil to the USA?

Canada and Mexico. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify, by "whiny people" I'm addressing those who were complaining about the "government" and other such rot. No the people who are just saying they're glad they got a six and that kind of thing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage gains