Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual MRTs - resonance problem solved?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:57 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default Dual MRTs - resonance problem solved?

A little while ago I posted about how I just hear a bassy resonance sound inside the car when I get between 2000 and 2500 rpms. Other people have posted about it as well. I know this sound is completely different outside of the car, so I've been dealing with it. I had to bring the car back on Saturday because of a rattle I was getting from my muffler (which should be replaced under warranty), and the guy took another look at everything now that the mufflers should have broken in.

To get rid of the sound, we're going to try to put some dampers on. He said the problem should be the vibration of the pipes coming from the motor. The pipes were vibrating a lot when the car was on, even without hitting the gas. There were 3 dampers on my stock pipes, so it really looks like this will be the answer. It won't change the sound of the car like resonators would, it should just balance out the pipes and get rid off all of the vibration going on.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dual MRTs - resonance problem solved?

Let me know how it goes I have dual mrts also with a h-pipe, I have resonators waiting be installed hopefully will put them on this week!
Old 04-24-2006, 01:24 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

I think that it will work. I'm hoping that it's like the 1800 rpm TBS. I had that vibration with my stock exhaust at 1800 rpm, the dealer put on an extra damper and it went away.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Where do you get them from, and were do you put them? sorry for all the question just really curious cause if it works I will be so happy!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure where they are going to get them from, but I will let you know.

They basically look kind of like the wheels you would have on your bed or something. The "wheel" is attatched to a bracket that just clamps onto the exhaust pipe wherever you put it. From what the mechanic told me, it balances out the pipes and it's weight absorbs the vibrations. (I guess kind of like holding it down) You just have to make sure that it has clearance and won't hit the ground or something else.

If you want to see what one of these dampers look like, just check out the area by your stock muffler. I had one welded on right there, one welded up by my cats and another after the y that was clamped on when I took it for the 1800 rpm TSB.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Oh, was it that big circle rubbery looking thing around the stock muffler hanger?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:06 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

yep...that was one of them!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

So did this work out for you?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:13 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

The guy's waiting for my replacement MRT muffler to come in, then he should put them on. It'll probably get done next weekend. I won't forget to let you know because I know you were going through the same thing.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

What happened to your muffler? sorry for being noisy, I might get the resinators installed this week hopefully!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual MRTs - resonance problem solved?