Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

H or X- that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 06:44 PM
rossbra2

Default H or X- that is the question

I've tried to read all the forums on exhaust and i just get a headache. I'm looking for a deep throaty exhaust sound that will purrr. It's the v6 without a cai or tune. so what pipes should i go with. looking to go duals also. what is the difference in HP and sound between H and X and should i get the converters with an X if i were to get it.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: H or X- that is the question

Get H pipe, read the post below this on H-pipes
Old 05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Interesting reading:

Exhaust "H" Pipe
The H cross over pipe, sometimes called an equilizer by muffler shops, is definitely good. It's effects were to lower peak horsepower just a bit (like 5 out of 400 that they had) and raise torque by just a bit (like 10ft/lbs). It lowered peak hp by a few hundred RPM (their test engine was a really hi-revving big block) and peak torque by a few RPM too. It mellowed out the exhaust tone and will probably increase exhaust system lifespan.

The H-pipe (crossover) equalizes the exhaust flow going out the exhaust. It also takes the harshness out of the tone. It does restrict exhaust back pressure, hence the 2 1/2 pipe. Reduction of back pressure equals more useable horsepower. Things to take into consideration are compression, horsepower at what RPM, torque at what horsepower. All I know for sure is, that for this to work correctly, the h-pipe should be as close to the headers as possible. Sometimes this will restrict transmission removeal, and/or starter removal. Since most of the time when you pull a engine or transmission, you generally drop the exhaust, so I never worried too much about it. If you do the crossover and you don't like it, you can always remove it.

The H-pipe should be placed as far forward as possible where the exhaust is hot (like right behind the header collectors). Spray the pipe with white paint and take the car for a run to find that hot spot.

Installation: Have shop weld flanges on each end of mufflers and pipes that connect to mufflers, along with center of crossover to allow removal of system very easy. Makes for better sealing also vs. U clamps.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

I was looking into the exhaust from http://shopshelby.com/cs6parts1.html it comes with an H pipe....than someone told me dont get a H get a X ...so i dont know.......