Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune install questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
DoYourEssay

Default Tune install questions

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, I was looking into buying an SCT from Doug. I wanted to make sure I could load the tunes myself before I bought it though. From what I've been reading, it seems like the flash only takes a couple of minutes to complete. I've been looking online for instructions, but can't find any. I know very little about cars, (but I want to learn now, thanks to the new 'Stang!) Is this something that a noob can do, or will I end up electrocuting myself somehow? Thanks guys!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune install questions

ORIGINAL: DoYourEssay

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, I was looking into buying an SCT from Doug. I wanted to make sure I could load the tunes myself before I bought it though. From what I've been reading, it seems like the flash only takes a couple of minutes to complete. I've been looking online for instructions, but can't find any. I know very little about cars, (but I want to learn now, thanks to the new 'Stang!) Is this something that a noob can do, or will I end up electrocuting myself somehow? Thanks guys!
It's beyond simple.

Under the driver's side dash, to the right of the hood release, there's a plug for the tuner. Plug it in and the tuner will power up. On the tuner, you'll select your custom tune, it will tell you to turn the key to the on position and hit enter on the tuner. It will then copy your stock tune to the tuner, and upload your custom one. After everything is done, it will tell you to turn off the key and press enter, and you'll be good to go.

Very, very straight forward and easy.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
DoYourEssay

Cool, thanks a lot! I read something about having to remove the fuel pump/high-powered fuses, and got a little nervous. Maybe that was just for the intake install.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

i think it says you are supposed to but no one actually does.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoYourEssay

Cool, thanks a lot! I read something about having to remove the fuel pump/high-powered fuses, and got a little nervous. Maybe that was just for the intake install.
No, you don't need to do those. I believe one of the tune guys (could have been Doug) said that was for older vehicles and not the newer ones.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:12 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

You should get a set of instructions with the SCT, and I'm pretty sure they even said that it was for older cars. Either way, I didn't do that either.

Are you going to get the CAI with it? It's definitely worth it. (plus it's easy to do yourself as well)
Old 05-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

I'm posting back up w/ CAI being easy to install. I'm great at following instructions but had little mechanical experience when I installed mine. Took about 30 mins (w/ 5 minutes of looking for my ABS housing, before I realized I didn't have it, LOL.) There's not a lot you can mess up if you're a competent person on installing a CAI (or muffler) yourself.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:35 AM
DoYourEssay

Nowhere near competent. Had to look at the manual to open the hood, if that's any indication of how much I know about cars. But I never really had/wanted to. My last two cars were imports '90 Camry, and '06 Maxima <-- could have been fast, so I hear. Both were hand-me-downs, and pretty much idiot-proof. Bought the new black beauty myself and take a lot of pride in her; would like to get to know it inside and out, but I'm a hands-on learner, so it's one thing at a time.
I must say, everyone here has been a tremndous help; I know more about cars then I ever did, and I'm glad this site exists!
P.S. Glad I got the Mustang, I LOVE it. My other choice would have been the Hyundai Sonata (because of the warranty.) Funny what an awesome car will do to person, isn't it? And no, I won't be installing a CAI for now, Cali emissions system, which means K&N or AEM. I think I'd be just dandy with a K&N drop-in filter, and a good tune...opinions welcome.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:40 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

I had the same concern but got the C&L anyway. When it comes time to get it smogged make sure you keep the stock intake system so you can hook it back up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/1F279DD20CFC4741A49021AE8F9613C2.jpg[/IMG]