Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just ordered my tune and intake!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 02:23 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default Just ordered my tune and intake!

YIPPY! just had to share with people that would share my joy LOL now comes the hard part...waiting...and waiting...damn it is it here yet? LOL
Old 05-06-2006, 02:41 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just ordered my tune and intake!

Waiting sucks, but its all worth it once you get the tune and CAI installed. It makes a world of difference, enjoy.[sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

It'll be worth the wait. A good CAI and tune really wakes the 4.0 up
Old 05-06-2006, 04:54 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take for most of you to get yours in? I know there will be variances and all depending on location,stock levels, place ordered from etc...I'm just lookin for a round about...less than a week...a week...two weeks...longer (oh god I hope not) I know I'll have a better idea as to when mine will be in after I get a shipping email but still.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:16 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

If I can remember I think it took mine about a week, and that was at the most. So I would expect about the same time.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:58 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

I hate to sound like an idiot, but I am new to all of this. How exactly does a tune work? I am trying to read about the chips but I am not getting it. And I see that you buy intakes that come with these electronic handhelds but what are they for? Is tuning easy? If someone could explain it to me I would be appreciative because it's confusin gthe heck outa me!!
Old 05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Tuning is a snap. These is a small dianostic port right next to the hood release where you plug-in a hand-held tuner. Once the tuner powers up it gives you all the necessary directions to put in place the new tune which will replace the stock one. The tuner then captures the stock tune and holds on to it for you in case you ever want to load it back on (like if you're going to the dealer for maintence). All of the tuners run about $400 + and work real nice when you add them to other mods like exhaust and intake. You should also find a reputablre dealer like Bamachips, Evolution, etc to write your tune. Trust me, I know very little about cars and this stuff is real easy to learn and do on your own.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/89354C92AAB94B4BB3B0AB8AA42BD9A0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-06-2006, 03:57 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Pat. What exactly does tuning do though? Increase HP? And when you say "Write the tune" what do you mean? I have heard much about Bamachips and checked out their website. And when you install a cold air intake why is it a good thing to tune? And what is a reflash?

Ok, that is IT!!! Once those questions are answered I feel I will know everything I need to know about tuning. Feeling stupid yes, but what the heck right? As I tell my students, the only dumb questions are the ones never asked!!
Old 05-06-2006, 06:11 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Tunig reprograms the car computer (ECU). When the factory programs the ECU, they really don't take advantage of the cars potential power. Thus, when you reprogram the computer you can set up your own parameters to take advantage of your mods and generally make the car perform better. Even without mods, I'm pretty sure there have been dyno results that show at least 10-12 hp increase with the tune alone. With my C&L intake, that number goes to somewhere between 15-18, I believe. What we all mean by writing a tune is kinda like writing a program for a computer. Some of these guys do a real nice job balancing performance, torque, gas mileage (hah), etc.
When you install an intake, like a C&L or demolet, they have bigger MAF (mass air flow) openings than the stock intake. This means that the sensor in that housing will be overwhelmed by the increased amout of air and lead to your car running very lean. I believe this can lead to piston misfiring and possible engine damage. By Retuning (or reflashing) the ECU, you tell the computer to recognize this new piece of equipment and to increase the amount of fuel to correspond with the increased air. This new air/fuel ratio will increase the performance of car and add hp/torque in the process. Bamachips, alternative auto and many other dealers write these programs. I purchased my SCT tuner and C&L Intake from Evolution through Ebay. I believe the guy is called Fred that works there. Anyway, they were real helpful and the product is superb. The cool thing about Bamachips is that the guy there (Doug, right?) will actually create a tune totally based off what you want then email the tune to you. There is a lot of stuff out there to choose from. This is my third intake and second tuner and I think I finally got it right. I hope this helps a bit.
ORIGINAL: teacherman

Thanks Pat. What exactly does tuning do though? Increase HP? And when you say "Write the tune" what do you mean? I have heard much about Bamachips and checked out their website. And when you install a cold air intake why is it a good thing to tune? And what is a reflash?

Ok, that is IT!!! Once those questions are answered I feel I will know everything I need to know about tuning. Feeling stupid yes, but what the heck right? As I tell my students, the only dumb questions are the ones never asked!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/FCC55494271647ED85E971D14B94E858.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-06-2006, 07:05 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Helps A LOT Pat thanks!!! Wow, No more questions here.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my tune and intake!