Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Struts are Shot

Old 05-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Struts are Shot

So I had my car in a Big O tires yesterday to have my rear sway bar put in and when I pick up my car the guy informs me my rear struts are leaking and are almost completely shot. My car only has 8600 miles on it and I installed lowering springs about 4000 ago. When I asked him if those would have anythign to do with it he said no way would 4000 miles be able to put the struts in the condition they are in. I'm tempted to trust him since he never pushed for me install new ones with them and just told me to go pres it with ford. He also said he's seen a ton of fords with crappy struts and they never have made good suspension components. So I'm contempltating dealing with it untill the fall when I'll get tokicos put in or wasting a few days with my car at ford arguing with them over why my aftermarket springs couldn't have done this. I use Friendly Ford in Las Vegas which has turned out to be one of the worst experiences overall I've ever had with a dealer so I'm skepitcal how lenient they will be with my springs in there. If they don't do it I'm going to make it more difficult for them and complain about a minor paint chip (nor really a chip just some wear) on the tip of the front bumper where it comes to a point, you can see black under the silver paint. Hopefully they'll have to repaint the whole thing or something inconvenient haha. Any thoughts or suggestions on how I shouls approach this?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:31 PM
lnmech

Default RE: Rear Struts are Shot

just take it in and ask the dealer if they are leaking.or takr it to some place else and see what they say i alwas get a secound opinion.and ask to see the leak.its what i would do although my dealer is pretty good with me.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:39 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

lowering springs can damage your stock shocks/struts. I had similar experience on my project Civic. Changed to lowering springs (only 1.5" drop) and next day my strut started to leak. I had to change to KYB struts. If you surf various boards you'll find out that it is always a good idea to change struts if switching to lowering springs unless you go with 1" drop or less.
Once again, some people get lucky and nothing happens but I strongly recommend switching to performance struts if changing springs.

Does anyone know if GT take off shocks/struts are stiffer than our V6 once?
Old 05-13-2006, 06:09 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

decided to remove post as it was kinda crude for the ladies
Old 05-13-2006, 10:47 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

personally i think lowering springs hurt you in the long run. the look is great and teh car handles alot better but remember your lowering shocks and struts permanently. teh factory design was never meant to stay lowered all teh time. your placing alot of undo stress on the shocks and struts by constantly riding lower. i opted for the eibach suspension and i love the hell out of them yeah its more expensive but they are matched for one another so i dont have to worry about it. anyway, i still have rear shocks and struts if your interested in buying them. they are just taking up space in my garage anyway.