Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lookin @ a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lookin @ a Mustang

ORIGINAL: chipschwab

I got my brand new v6 manual for under that price. Maybe look around some more but i definatly recommend getting the stang. Its just so fun to have one.
Yep, now you have to get one. Besides, look at the great community you have to go to for support and modificaitons. What other car can you get where there are so many forums with supportive members? The mustang has more car clubs than any other car. Simply amazing!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:47 PM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

Also about the sound system, the first mustang i had that i wrecked had the shaker 500 and i like the standard system alot better. No bulky speakers sticking out of the door and no skipping problems.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:05 PM
ranebowcyxx
BadAss 13-sec N/A 4.0L

I have had many many muscle cars, from the sixties to now. And everyone was a V8, "I will never own a 6 in a car like a Camaro or a Mustang". That was me before I drove an 06 Auto. I now own an 06 Auto and I love it.

Ford has done such a good job with the balance of this car, decent acceleration, great brakes and the best handling in a Mustang yet. The handling was the reason I kept buying F Bodies for the last twenty years, but Ford really got it right on this car.

Although I didn't buy a Mustang for economy reason's, I get 22 combined city/hwy mileage.
Did I mention the handling
Good Brakes
I love the way this car turns heads (Screaming Yellow by the way)
I a lot of compliments on the Pony Pkg, a must have for me.
Responds well to simple bolt on's

Down side.
No damn trunk release IN the car!!!!!
A little weak off the line in stock trim- at least for me. But, as I said it responds well to bolt's.

I have owned close to 30 cars, I'm not kidding, and I'll put this Mustang as my number three all time favorite.

Good luck, I think the hardest choice would be picking out a color.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:07 PM
V6Vert
1st Gear Member

I was in the exact same situation back in Feb. My wife has a 98 saturn sl2 with 247,000 miles on it. It still runs like a top but has started using about a quart of oil between changes. We found a used 05 convertible premium pkg loaded with everything for 20,100 and only had 2000 miles on it! We bought it, but the trade in on the saturn was only going to be $500! So, we kept the saturn and she still drives it about 100 miles a day to and from work. The stang just hit 5000 on the odometer, and she's still racking up the miles on the saturn, which by the way is still getting 36 mpg consistently. Keeping it was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

As far as difference in the two cars....night and day. The mustang has sooo much more pep than the saturn and handles like dream in comparison. She has even commented on how responsive the mustang is in cornering, and she doesn't drive nearly as agressive as I do.

You've read how well the V6 stang takes to mods, but other than the K&N drop in, ours is still bone stock and gets 24/28 mpg. Insuranse in about half the price of the GT also.

I say go for it, and keep the saturn too if you can, cuz your not going to get anything trade in wise. I'm looking at getting at least another 50,000 miles out of ours (i hope).

The only thing I saw that concerns me is the asking price on the one your looking at w/18K miles on it. I really think thats a bit high.
I would definitly try to get them down another 2/3K

You'll be more than pleased with the stang, and there NOTHING the guys on this forum can't help you with if you ever encounter problems with it. Good Luck and post some pics when you get....you know your getting it!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Like everybody else I can state the pros by far out way any cons. IN fact after Rygen's post I can't add a bloody thing! LOL

But do consider seeing if you can get into an 06, just because mine Is an 06 with the pony package (17 in tires/nice rims...rear sway bar...awesome grill...and interior upgrade) Anyways I didn't pay much more than what you are looking at for a used 05. I think you'd still LOVE the 05, But at that price you can get NEW for very little more, Unless you are able to haggle them down.

One thing to brace yourself for though...and you may know this allready being a tuner...be prepared for MODFEVER!!! It's contangious and running rabid aroud here and there is no known cure. (not that we'd want one) LOL

Serious Kudos to Rygen for his posts...awesome write ups
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Life is full of compromises. You are a young guy in college. Be darn glad you and your parents are in a position to give you a great car while still footin' the college bills. You will live a LONG time and have many opportunites to get more Mustangs.

Having said that, the V6 is NOT much of a compromise. It has a ton of power and pickup. The whole world has become warped. How much power is enough? You are talking about a 210 HP care with 240 ft-lb of torque. This car can move quite well. It really does well from a dead stop, it will get you up to 40-50 MPH very quickly.

The car looks GREAT!! That's just as important as power. The V6 will attract just as many babes as the V8. As others have said, a $600 mod of CAI and tuner will really add to the seat of the pants feel. The money you save on a V6 could be used for some other cool stuff for the car.

Study hard, get a good job, save a little money and be ready to nab a redesigned 2009 GT with 350 HP. You lucky dog.. you have 60+ more years to enjoy mustangs! You might even get a 100th anniversary issue!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

PERSONALY.. if ur looking for great handling, good performance and good looks. you cant go rong with the v6 mustang... its 1 awesome car and 1 HELL OF A CHICK MAGNET

Paul
Old 05-15-2006, 12:59 AM
zorminster

Awesome, thanks for all the responses guys.

The pony package- whats included, and whats the price of this option normall?

As for price on this one, im pretty sure it will come down a bit, but i really can't anticipate by how much. We did stop and check out brand new 05s and the invoices were about 19,800 base.

With regards to the saturn- 107,000 miles, transmission has long running issues and my piston rings are burnt. We've also had to replace the engine cradle and mounts once in it. Im actually perfectly fine with fixing it and keeping it till the engine completely seizes up on me, but my parents and grandparents (Who are lovingly footing the bill) really would rather me get a late model car that will last for a long time to come.

I am surprised to see you say Axleback instead of a full catback- are there any reasons? Or do you simply think That if i was going to do that, im better suited getting some headers and running true duel exhaust (X'd of course, i fully anticipate this eventually becoming a weekend warrior for the track dependant on how my coop goes)

Could someone provide me with information on the stock sound system? Thats a big thing for me- I need to know output of the stock head, if there are any rca outputs (if there are ill be amazed) and speakers sizes.

What do you guys think i should be paying for a silver 05, immaculate paint, 20K miles, auto v6?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

if your looking for a a great car for all around fun and perfomance. the new V6 has got to be the one. For the base price you can't get a better car for your money. and the bolt on's are all over the place. if you want a 500+hp daily driver, then the 6 may not be 4 you. but if u like the idea of daily driver with great handleing and braking(with mods of coarse) and with 350 to 400hp potential. yea get the 6. with the money u save on buying a 6 and believe me it's a big chunk of change. you can have one hot, fast *** ride that others will be look'n like DAMN!!! theu you'll have ur shorty ride'n shotgun with you. man can't ask for anything better.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:04 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the chick magnet! At the after party of my prom this weekend I was the life of the party, especially with my 2 12"subs! The girls were...lets say...OBSESSED.

Quick Reply: Lookin @ a Mustang