Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lookin @ a Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:33 PM
zorminster

Default Lookin @ a Mustang

Well, currently I own a saturn thats on its last legs. After driving around to the local car dealerships, my dad and I found a silver, 05 V6 mustang with about 18K miles on it. Its automatic, which is a tragedy but since my parents are willing to help me on my insurance and such while im in college, i have no real leverage to complain. List price is 17488.

I tried google, but im having trouble finding a single review of the 05 V6. Theres enough to sate my desires if i was hunting a GT, but i can't locate anything useful for my purposes. So, if you A) know of anywhere with reviews of the 05 V6 or B) Are willing to post a review of your STOCK vehicle thatd be great. If you do choose to post your own review, do me a few favors- 1) I really want to know about handling. I love to take corners like a madman and thers an abundance of backroads where im from. 2) I care alot about power- I don't need anything absurd, but i dont want to feel like im just as slow as my 4 banger saturn due to the weight difference. Rated @ 210 horses crankside worries me a little for a 3300# car. 3) Avoid talking about any modifications; i'm a tuner at heart, but i just dont have the money to do anything with it currently. I need to choose a car based on what it will be like when i get it, not after i sink a few nother G's into it. and 4) Please, PLEASE, please, PLEASE tell me about your dislikes. I would MUCH rather know about it now then later. No matter how small the discrpency you have with it, i wanna hear it. Thanks a ton guys!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Lookin @ a Mustang

The cheap dash is my only dislike but the gt's have the same cheap dash....get the 6 and let them pay for the insurance.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:54 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Handling

Handling on these car's is better than the previous year mustangs, because of the new frame and nearly 50/50 weight distribution ratio of the car. I think it's closer to 47/53 but it is a significant improvement over the fox. If handling is a must for you, I would hunt around for a pony package, but the stock mustang V6 handles suprisingly well. But this car takes to the twisties well, even with stock suspension and stock it rides pretty smooth for a sports car. I was suprised when I test drove it.

Power

I had a 93 5.0 LX Vert before this, so that was my baseline. On the top end, compared to my old V8, it pulled just as hard. It's a torqy little six, not as much TQ as my old V8, but suprisingly quick off the line stock. It does have some throttle lag, but the new auto is better than previous years and is a 5 speed. Even a simple K&N filter will give her a tad bit more response off the line. After driving a V6 Turbo Volvo, I can say the V6 stang was more peppy! And I also rented the following cars that I thought the V6 stang was much better on power & handling: 05 G6 (not GTP), 04 Ford Mustang V6, 06 Monte Carlo, 06 Chevy Cobalt.

Modding

You requested we not talk about that, LOL. Though 99% of the members here are mod junkies.

Misc.

1. Trunk release!!!! Drives me up the wall, there is no trunk release button in the car. It's either remote key fob or the actual key.
2. Open Diff. Stock I hate the one wheel burn outs, but a lot more cars than you think come with open diffs
3. Mirrors: I hate that they don't bend back for safety, my parking garage valet attendants knocked one off already.
4. Bumpers: So easy to scractch and difficult to touch up

All in all though even stock I love this stang. It is a blast to drive. Both of them were a blast in fact, the V6 and V8. Good luck. If you could swing it, I would definitly try for the pony package.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:12 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I have owned a 68 six cylinder, a 99 convertible with a V-6 and now my 05 convertible.

I told my wife the other day that if she climbed behind the wheel of the 99 again, she would throw rocks it at after driving it and getting out. The 05 is so much better in my opinion.

I would buy the V-6, the mileage is great for a semi-performance car and the handling is terrific and can be made better through inexpensive suspension mods. I put in an oiled gauze air filter and installed a used GT muffler and love the car.

RYGEN's post addressed the minor issues quite well. Having owned the 99 for seven years prior to owning the 05, I feel that FORD hit a homer with the new model.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:53 PM
zorminster

Awesome, Great post Rygen. Exactly what i was looking for. More are invited to do the same. Now that i've got a baseline though, im opening the floor to suggested modifications in the following areas:

Suspension
Acceleration
Top end

Forced induction isn't an option right now, but id like to get an idea of what bolt ons are most heavily suggested, and why. Being a tuner I've got a feeling the first response im going to see is CAI, Exhaust, and Springs. Go on and throw out some good company names as well- again, thanks guys!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:09 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zorminster

Awesome, Great post Rygen. Exactly what i was looking for. More are invited to do the same. Now that i've got a baseline though, im opening the floor to suggested modifications in the following areas:

Suspension
Acceleration
Top end

Forced induction isn't an option right now, but id like to get an idea of what bolt ons are most heavily suggested, and why. Being a tuner I've got a feeling the first response im going to see is CAI, Exhaust, and Springs. Go on and throw out some good company names as well- again, thanks guys!
Suspension

[ul][*]Panhard Bar and Brace: Our stock panhard bar is filled with lead beads, it's heavy and not that strong. Get a Powerhouse, BMR or Steeda replacement, makes a world of difference.[*]Sway bars: If you can't get the Pony package then put in some GT sway bars, they make a big difference as well. Though I took my front one out for the track (collecting dust). [*]Springs: I hear eibach lowering kit is a nice upgrade for looks and handling
[/ul]
Acceleration & Top End

[ul][*] XCAL2/CAI Combo: This will make a night and day difference in your car. You will be amazed that it's a six after you get this. Bamachips, Alternative Auto (considered the master for automatics), Brenspeed, Evolution are all top notch choices (the only CAI that didn't have a gain over the stock airbox was the AEM, though it looks cool as hell LOL)[*]Axleback muffler: Stock mufflers are very restrictive, get a MRT, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, FRPP (Borla), or JBA, all are good and will free up power.[*]PHP Altenator pulley: Dyno'd at 3-5 rwhp (don't bother with the UD pulley, its worthless)
[/ul]

Misc Notes

[ul][*]Dual Exhaust: Moderate gains on NA, but show some decent gains on FI. X for flow, H for sound, though the difference between the two HP wise is minimal. Lot of debate on actual gains, all I know is from a Y pipe to a X pipe on my setup, I got a gain of 2HP. Just go with what sounds good to you. [*]TB spacer: F'in worthless LOL[*]Throttle Body: Still waiting on this one, but all the shops I called said its not worth it, even with FI[*]Gears/LSD: One of my favorite upgrades, helps with handling and take offs. Also helps on acceleration. In my book, this upgrade is a MUST HAVE.
[/ul]

Take a look at scrming's web site, it has a bunch of before and after dyno's. Mine does as well. For a list of power adders available, check out this site (maintained by our good friend Jimp):

http://american-speed.com/collective...read.php?t=167
Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Listen to Rygen.... a couple of brilliant writeups! Bravo!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

the 2005 v6:

1) the Pro's of this car FAAARRRRRR outway the con's
2) interior noise is not the greatest
3) the stock soundsystem is ok at best (Shaker 500 is much better)
4) the 05 will have some recalls but nothing ford wont fix.
5) stock cloth seats LOOK AMAZING!!
6) comfortable seats. ive driven in this car for about 5 hours at 1 time got out and stretched and felt perfect not sore!!
7) you might need to beat women away with a bat its so fine!!
8) needs a baseball bat.

lol. by the way great writeups rygen!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Thanks hamidlmt and harry! Yes, I concur on the seats. Lately I have been in rentals and the seats suck. Namely a Monte Carlo and a Pontiac G6, both had terrible seats.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:46 PM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

I got my brand new v6 manual for under that price. Maybe look around some more but i definatly recommend getting the stang. Its just so fun to have one.

Quick Reply: Lookin @ a Mustang