Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

AIR BOX

Old 05-15-2006, 12:55 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Default AIR BOX

Ill start off by saying that I LOVE to do things myself instead of buying name brands if possible. So today I experimented with the airbox. I wanted better airflow and to redirect the suction to an area other then the engine bay. I started by replacing the stock air filter with a FRAM Airhog (FRAM versions of the K&N). It didn't make much of a power difference but the engine sounded a lot happier at RPMs 3000 and above. Then I read on another post that someone used the hose meant for a clothes dryers, or duct hosing, to redirect the intake to the front bumper grill. He was using a CAI so wasn't able to direct the air to surround the entire filter. I used a stock airbox and connected one end of the hose to the end of the stock airbox inlet and mounted the other end on the black grill in the lower font bumper. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The engine sounds much happier at idle to be able to suck in much more and much colder air but once you get going the upper RPMS pull MUCH MUCH harder. IT FEELS LIKE A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT CAR! At speeds above 20, with the small inlet in the stock airbox, the engine sucks air mainly from the hose, which is MUCH MUCH MUCH colder, but it also forces air into the airbox deminishing its restrictive qualities. I havent figured out what to do about moisture, but I live in the desert where it rains only twice a year for 5 min.. The temp. at my house is 110 right now and is A LOT hotter in the engine bay. I noticed a huge difference especially in these extreme temps. to draw air from the bumper. Other than the GT takeoff, this was one of the best, and cheapest mods. I have done. Total cost was $60 including filter. Ill post pics as soon as I can.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AIR BOX

dont worry about moisture.. water will stay on the ground, dont even worry about driving through a puddle
Old 05-15-2006, 01:20 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nicarc369

Ill start off by saying that I LOVE to do things myself instead of buying name brands if possible. So today I experimented with the airbox. I wanted better airflow and to redirect the suction to an area other then the engine bay. I started by replacing the stock air filter with a FRAM Airhog (FRAM versions of the K&N). It didn't make much of a power difference but the engine sounded a lot happier at RPMs 3000 and above. Then I read on another post that someone used the hose meant for a clothes dryers, or duct hosing, to redirect the intake to the front bumper grill. He was using a CAI so wasn't able to direct the air to surround the entire filter. I used a stock airbox and connected one end of the hose to the end of the stock airbox inlet and mounted the other end on the black grill in the lower font bumper. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The engine sounds much happier at idle to be able to suck in much more and much colder air but once you get going the upper RPMS pull MUCH MUCH harder. IT FEELS LIKE A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT CAR! At speeds above 20, with the small inlet in the stock airbox, the engine sucks air mainly from the hose, which is MUCH MUCH MUCH colder, but it also forces air into the airbox deminishing its restrictive qualities. I havent figured out what to do about moisture, but I live in the desert where it rains only twice a year for 5 min.. The temp. at my house is 110 right now and is A LOT hotter in the engine bay. I noticed a huge difference especially in these extreme temps. to draw air from the bumper. Ill post pics as soon as I can.
Congrats, the idea of the cloth dryer hose came from me. I use it to bring cold air in to feed my C&L CAI. This weekend I also drilled a bunch of large halls in my right side of the upper grill, directly in front of the filter so more cold air passes over my air filter. I took it on the freeway and it feels much better. Remember that for every 11deg drop in temperature you gain 1% hp so if we take underhood air which reaches 120-140deg and bring in outside cold air while cruising down freeway, depending on outside temeperature, we reduce intake temperature. As I mentioned in previous post, I was able to reduce intake temperature down to 60's (from my datalogging using Xcal 2 and a laptop) so if my theory is correct, my 60-80degree drop neted 6-8% increase in HP or 12-16hp, in theory only. In reality, I probably got extra 5-7hp while in motion and it is fine :-)

congrats on home made CAI :-) remember to reset the battery so PCM can relearn.
I am waiting to change my oil to Royal Purple in trany and engine to get more hp :-)
Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Hey, GREAT IDEA! It feels a lot more responsive, like its meant to run in high RPMs now and pulls HARD from 4000 to WOT. Those numbers are very helpful also! Thanks! LOL

...I didnt disconnect the battery...thanks for the reminder. Did it make a noticable difference after the computer reset?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:31 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

our top grill is kind of restrictive as well in front of air filter. We need to open that sucker up to let more air in. I kept a remote temprature guage under hood as well as datalogging and it does make a difference. The best would be a hood scoop ofcourse right above the airfilter but that would probably not look so good :-) so we improvise, correct?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:36 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, and it worked great!