Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X Charger - Closer Look

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 01:37 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: X Charger - Closer Look

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

I'm pulling my hat out of the power-adder-purchaser arena. Frankly I've lost the taste for going to all this trouble to be "about the same speed as a stock GT" more or less. And there has been a lot of silence about emissions on these SCs, last thing I want is to head over for the yearly inspection only to discover it won't pass. Since I've been riding my turbo bike, more and more all other things have lost all their sensation of having any performance at all including my Mustang Riding an 11 second bike tends to spoil other means of transport
Yea, but anyone can build a fast V8. There is a special feeling when you build a fast 6 banger stang. It's hard to describe, but it generates...a "buzz" at the track. Trust me.

good point!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:38 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bscottie

Tom had some 255s on the back kda's I believe? Rygen, your mods that you listed and the dyno results I had last month keep me open that there will be a wide variety of numbers, but the only way to know is to get the installs done, are you planning on one? or just gonna keep the juice?
Yes, Tom (afixer) had 255's on the rear, and with that TQ he should be fine. But I think Nittos or even DR's will help greatly. He can launch harder with DR's. I'm going FI soon, my shop finished the quote, just a matter of time now. I will post as soon as it's all wrapped up and I have some numbers to post, and I plan to back it with track times when I finally go FI. Dynos are fun, Track times are the real deal.
will be watching for results,congrats.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

That is a great post you put some thought into it. First off I would like to say something. Doug and Dave are not trying to fool any body but I can’t sit back and watch much of this. I feel that strong about this thing. When i did the first dyno with Chris we were on a dynojet and hit 250 to 255 hp on that. We were in a rush dis about 8 pulls and tried my afe and a few other things. I wish we would have just kept with the gt air box. We wasted a lot of time on it. Ok so average hp was 250 he backed some timing out and that is where we were. Now a week goes buy and I meet Dave and Doug. The following Saturday. First run was 236 hp. funny I got 250 down south, No changes. So either his machine was low or the LA machine is high. Anyway Doug plays with it a bit. And now we are up to 250. 13 hp higher than the bench mark run earlier. They were just starting to put on the 2.8 pulley and I looked at Dave and said "dude I got a go" I felt real bad so I let him do a couple of runs. Doug had to tweak the tune and try some stuff so I sat by and could only think of my son (I had promised him he could use the car to take his girl to the prom). and I could see the time ticking away plus I still had an hour drive to return back to the hotel. any way a couple of pulls with the 2.8 and he hit 262 at 8 psi remember we started out at 236. unfortunately I had to go ! I feel to blame for this but crap happens. I hope that jimp gets one because I know if Doug has the proper time and is not rushed he will get more out of it. also did I mention I had to drive all over to get a smaller belt (that wasted allot of time. after seeing TJ’s post last night I felt real bad. I feel that I have not giving Dave the best car for this test (I know I’m the best looking LOL) but I really didn’t give him the time he needed for this. anyway I talked to Dave today and told him i am going to go to the first dyno shop and get a new sheet. I am interested to see if the numbers are dif. I would think that they would be in the 260s if I’m right. I hope Dave doesn’t get mad at me for this story but I thought I needed to clarify this. jimp if you get one please let Doug have his way this it so we can really see what this does. All I can say is I love this thing and its real fun. I wish I new someone with another style so we could each test drive. I gave beaustang a ride the other day and he liked it. Anyone near me lets go for a ride! Whatever you guys go with good luck and have fun with it. Dave is a small CO. and cant slam things out like the others I guess. But ill try to get the other dyno ASAP I called today but they said they were booked up all week, figures! Tj again good post we need write ups like this! remember im going to ricky and ronnies this wednsday if anyone is nearby

Affixer Thanks

It's good to hear you comments and info, I went back and read though Dougs post at TMS 5 pages, he didn’t mention that he needed more tuning or say he needed more time unless I miss something posted somewhere at least with the 3.0 pulley. So I am taking that these are the possibly the final numbers on a least on your Cali version with the 3.0 pulley. If you anything to the contrary or info posted elsewhere let me know with a link or if you have info to share here.

Affixer what is the difference from (other than poss the 2.8 pulley) your Cali version and the 49 state version?
If anyone else also knows the above if you could post what you know.

Also not sure from your post but it would really be good if you could run your car on a ¼ track, any plans in the near future for that?

The other thing from reading Dougs post he sounds very open about everything not sure where what you meant about not trying to fool anybody. The other thing these cars dyno different from each other also the sticks vary from the auto’s so you will see different HP & TQ per dyno per car as much as 10 –20 HP. The dyno numbers I posted from PHP was to add another one to the mix from a third party. The one thing I do not know is if that dyno was a stick vs your auto which it might be in that case, a good comparison would have been a V 6 W/stick with the X Charger vs that GT dyno, I don’t know if the one I posted from PHP if it was a stick could have been. The other thing I not 100% sure if PHP dyno was SAE so when comparing all this guys keep all this in mind.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

TJ,

For additional discussion, keep in mind I am talking the following mods for the Xcharger:

1. LSD
2. Gears
3. LCA's

As for tires, Afixer is running the Pnero's like me. Also, I am not sure if my Steeda Panhard Bar and Brace are helping my launches, Excessive says it is and every little bit counts. Not sure if that should be on the list. I can't remember if Afixer is running a rear sway, I am not. The Steeda gear on my car is lighter than the stock gear and cornering is great, I decided to take out the sway. My front sway bar is in. I was also running a Xpipe and PHP Alt pulley, in fact, here is my mod list on my 13.9 and 13.6 runs:

-XCAL2
-X pipe
-Dual Flow Masters
-PHP Alt. Pulley
-Steeda Panhard Bar/Brace
-Powerhouse LCA's
-FRPP TLOK
-FRPP 3.73 Gears
-XM radio (good for 3/10ths when ACDC is playing, LOL)
-30psi rear tires, 50psi front tires (235's pneros)
-100 shot nitrous (not applicable for this discussion)
-TI CAI (not applicable for this discussion)

You got me thinking, and what we really need to know is how this thing pulls on the 2nd 1/8th of the run. The problem with juice is you can feel it giving way on the 2nd half, all the power is on the take first half. I think 13.5 or 13.6 may be doable, if not perhaps with better tires or with DR's. Not sure on my suspension mods helping me on my runs.

Thoughts?

Rygn your car has more HP at 278HP vs X Charger 250RWHP of course but you have that HUGE amout of TQ at 362RWTQ vs Affixers 260RWTQ so you would domiate off the line and that powers you though the first 1/8 and stll pushes you though the traps at 13.60 not bad for that last 1/8 your giving up . If you look at at Affixers dyno looks like the HP & TQ hold up well in the last thousnd RPMs so the last 1/8 looks good ( need to see real run).

Man, maybe I should fly back out to CA. I just got back from San Fran, I'm wondering if I could get that car to a 8.8. LOL.

I really thought about that when you PM'd me couple weeks ago saying you were in San Fran in the PM thinking you should visit the guy in Northern cali but then it also hit about Affixer also.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:23 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

You are absolutely right. The reason I mention my setup is because before my shifts were firmed up, I was at 13.9 and my best run at the 1/8th track was 8.9 (back then) which is right around where he is at. I'm wondering if my mod list will at least get him to 13.7.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:01 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

You are absolutely right. The reason I mention my setup is because before my shifts were firmed up, I was at 13.9 and my best run at the 1/8th track was 8.9 (back then) which is right around where he is at. I'm wondering if my mod list will at least get him to 13.7.

He is really at a 9.1 (2/100'sunder 9.1) but I know its around, but you know when we see a 1/4 run that will differently get us closer of an ideal where that car will be with some mods. I will even go as far as to say if the the X charger is capable 13.70's w T-lok, gears. st- tires I would go with the X Charger. The only problem I a have at that point is price of the kit as you also pointed out in another thread. I think Doug said it is priced as other non-IC S/C kits someone needs to show him the joeblow racing link selling the Non-IC Vortech kit is only $2,900.00. At this price I think guys would come out of the woodwork which would produce sales or like you said sell like hot cakes. I agree.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

tj my point on the tuning is that to be fair. doug was kinda rushed. they really wanted to do more testing with the other CAIs that they had. im not sure if you have seen anyone tune a car . but it really take along time to tweek and tune a car. yes doug has the cali tune pretty much done. but and i say but i know if he had been able to spend more time he could have probubly tweeked somemore. plus he didnt really get to drive the car much after the final tune. (roadtest) all my fault we just ran out of time. i have been sending him datalog now and then and im sure he will let me know if he thinks he could do anything.