Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gosh Darn rogue stones!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:24 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Default Gosh Darn rogue stones!!!!

So I was driving on a local busy street Tuesday and suddenly I hear a "D I N K" on my windshield...well, drove to my destination, look for damages and DANG IT!!! A runaway rock or stone hit my windshield on the passenger side taking a small "fly-size" hole out of my windshield. My Insurance sent the guys to repair it today, which they did...but you can still see a blemish on the windshield. My question(s) is(are): Should I have the entire windshield replaced (they promised if that was the case the will have the pony logo, etched vin and tint on the new one) or stick it out? I've heard rumors that once you break the original factory seal on windshields that it is never the same...especially on 'verts[:@]!!! Comments??
Old 05-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Gosh Darn rogue stones!!!!

I'm kind of **** with regard to stray noises, I can't handle the 'whoosh'noise of an improperly sealed window. Last car I had had a smashed window when someone broke in and the new one had the 'whoosh' sound at highway speeds, I don't know how bad that'd be with a windshield but the though alone makes me angry.

I hear ya with rogue stones, I've taken 2 to the windshield (glanced off, didn't hit square), 1 to the roof just above the windshield (small dimple, have to be as tall as I am to realliy see it, which is real tall), and 1 to drivers door (hit right on the contour line 3/4ths the way up the door, took a tiny chip out of the clearcoat.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:10 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Ricanpassion, arnt we Floridians covered by some really cool windshield coverage? I swear I heard that somewhere before.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
LisaJ429
2nd Gear Member

i would have it replaced and have them put a factory windshield in. my husband's truck was like a month old and this happened and he had them replace it but with a factory windshield.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:20 PM
kcary
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I caught a baseball sized stone on my windshield this past weekend. I don't know how I lucked out in only having a couple small chips taken out, no cracks or holes. 100% repairable luckily. Gonna have it repaired when I get my nav system put in next week. I have really bad luck with new cars and windshields. My last car I got a big crack in it the 2nd day I had it. This one lasted a month. I was in the van when my mom got it and within an hour of driving it off the lot, same thing happened to her. I swear I need to stay away from cars that are under a couple months old lol.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 AM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

You're right, it is fully covered by insurance in FL (u must have comp coverage-which I do) but the question is should I get it replaced fully or is there a concern in breaking that factory seal?
ORIGINAL: teacherman

Ricanpassion, arnt we Floridians covered by some really cool windshield coverage? I swear I heard that somewhere before.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I've heard this before, too. And my late '92 Z24 had wet carpets all the time, I suspect because of the new windshield I'd put in (no proof of that, though).

I took a stone to the driver door my first week. It's small, but deep, with no dent. I'm planning to touch it up with toothpick application, using many layers of paint.

Ken