Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:09 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default Hurst shifter

I just ordered my Hurst shifter, should be here late next week! I hope this thing is as good as some of the posts have indicated! I'll give a review after install. (Are you ready Tom?) lol
Old 05-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst shifter

Good luck with that let me know how it works out (Is that a shorty shifter ?)
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it's the short throw but the length is longer so the **** sits up higher. They say the distance traveled between gears is reduced by 40%.
ORIGINAL: Dats1NiceMustang

Good luck with that let me know how it works out (Is that a shorty shifter ?)
Old 05-21-2006, 08:24 PM
vb101
1st Gear Member

I have the shifter and it is nice. It takes a good bit more effort to shift at than the stock shifter but it does get easier over time. The only complaint I have about the shifter is that it buzzes at high rpm's or under hard acceleration, mainly in second gear for me. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the buzzing yet. I'm going to email Hurst soon and see if they can tell me anything. It's such a good shifter though I don't really mind the buzzing so much but it would be nice if I could get rid of it anyway.

BTW, since getting the shifter I have yet to miss 3rd gear! Big improvement there.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

It's a great shifter. Very positive short throws. Really nice to drive with. Mine doesn't have any buzzing problem at all.

I would recommend loctite on the bolts. They're a pain to get at, you don't want to have to go back to retighten them later.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Goliath
1st Gear Member

+1 for the hurst.
Takes a lot more effort to get in gear, but it gets easier after about a month. I love mine. If you have ratchets, you'll want 2 or 3 extenders.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the advise, I'll report when install is finished.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:17 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vb101

I have the shifter and it is nice. It takes a good bit more effort to shift at than the stock shifter but it does get easier over time. The only complaint I have about the shifter is that it buzzes at high rpm's or under hard acceleration, mainly in second gear for me. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the buzzing yet. I'm going to email Hurst soon and see if they can tell me anything. It's such a good shifter though I don't really mind the buzzing so much but it would be nice if I could get rid of it anyway.

BTW, since getting the shifter I have yet to miss 3rd gear! Big improvement there.

I get it in 3rd and 4th. I just went out and made sure all my bolts where extra tight and I know they are cause none of them budge after I put some muscle into them. Even extra tightened the alan bolts holding the shifter stalk together. Still got the buzzing. Let me know what Hurst tells you please. I'm going in for 15000 mi maint tomorrow and am going to have them fix the console buzz TSB to see if maybe that's what is causing it. Will let you know how that goes.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

How easy (or hard) is this to install? Is it something the average person could do?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:32 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmallett1

How easy (or hard) is this to install? Is it something the average person could do?
Took it over to my pops, cause he had heavy duty jack stands, and we did it in less than 2 hrs. Here's a great writeup for the install. I do recomend at least a second set of hands even though it says you can do it yourself.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter