Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Couple of questions from a newbie...

Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 AM
lureynol
1st Gear Member

Default Couple of questions from a newbie...

Hey guys, new to the forum here, been using this particular board as a resource as I'm in the middle of moving to LA and thus need to buy a car (Grew up in NYC, where cars are impractical as well as unnecessary.) Have decided on a mustang, v6 premium coupe, just have a few questions:

1. Do you guys recommend getting racing stripes put on by the dealers (the official ford accessories ones) or by an independent shop?

2. Anyone know a good place to get mustang work done in the LA area?

Thanks guys, you've already been very helpful to me as a lurker, and I hope to become an active and helpful member of the boards.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:50 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Couple of questions from a newbie...

You're in Santa Monica....Buy a rag-top! Welcome to the forum!
ORIGINAL: lureynol

Hey guys, new to the forum here, been using this particular board as a resource as I'm in the middle of moving to LA and thus need to buy a car (Grew up in NYC, where cars are impractical as well as unnecessary.) Have decided on a mustang, v6 premium coupe, just have a few questions:

1. Do you guys recommend getting racing stripes put on by the dealers (the official ford accessories ones) or by an independent shop?

2. Anyone know a good place to get mustang work done in the LA area?

Thanks guys, you've already been very helpful to me as a lurker, and I hope to become an active and helpful member of the boards.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

do the ford stripes end half way down the back and half way down the front of the mustang??? the ones ive seen at ford look strange... i'd rather take it to a vinyl decal shop and have them do exactly what u want. and about getting a ragtop.... dont u find the leather is like SOOOOO HOT when u get in after having the top down in the sun for 10 mins??? and the sun CONSTANTLY blinds u in a ragtop... IMHO i'd rather a coupe anyday... the big windows provide plenty of air and the coupe defenatly looks smarter

Paul
Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

it really depends on the look at you are going for. some people like them, some people dont. in the end, they are probably just 3M vinyl that any shop uses. plus, ford actually sends to to other places to get them put on, so they are not really "factory". the only advantage to getting them from the dealership is that it is much more hassle-free
Old 05-23-2006, 10:40 AM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

I don't know...just having a vert is something else. We all know that the stereotype ragtop mustang is an american tradition, anyways verts are just more fun...but also they need more care. No matter what, the coupe or the verts...choose what YOU want, and do it wisely! Enjoy!
ORIGINAL: paulboy16

do the ford stripes end half way down the back and half way down the front of the mustang??? the ones ive seen at ford look strange... i'd rather take it to a vinyl decal shop and have them do exactly what u want. and about getting a ragtop.... dont u find the leather is like SOOOOO HOT when u get in after having the top down in the sun for 10 mins??? and the sun CONSTANTLY blinds u in a ragtop... IMHO i'd rather a coupe anyday... the big windows provide plenty of air and the coupe defenatly looks smarter

Paul
Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Yea, my Ford dealer told me the same thing. They send the car a local shop for stripes, which most likely means 3M stripes. I got my 3m stripes from Baltimore Street Mods on ebay (70) and then went to a local ricer shop for the install (200). Turned out great in my opinion, and cause I got the universal kit, I have enough stripe left over to stripe the car again if the stripes fade.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:09 PM
BigBlue06

i don't presonally like the ford stripes....too small for my taste.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I love my vert, I live at the beach and on a nice day it's great to have the roof down. And on a summer night there's nothing like it.
ORIGINAL: paulboy16

Paul
Old 05-24-2006, 12:03 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

I just don't think it's wise to get aftermarket work done by most dealers. Of course, many will just send it out to another local shop. But, just get the name of the shop and go their directly.

btw... welcome to the board! Post pics once you get your stripes done!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:20 AM
lureynol
1st Gear Member

I was actually originally going to get the rag-top, but after seeing both, I actually prefer the coupe, I think it holds the line of the car better. Also, it's significanty cheaper.

Thanks for all the advise guys, I'll almost certainly take your advice and shop out the stripe job after i get the car. Speaking of which, any really senior members in LA that can recomend me a good garage/shop?

As for the pics, as soon as I get the car and then the stripes there'll be pics.

Thanks again guys!