Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

One down, two to go!

Old 05-26-2006, 11:46 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Default One down, two to go!

Got my GT takeoff mufflers today. My youngest son and I crawled underneath the car and thirty minutes later we were putting the tools away. It looks great. With a little twist at the clamp joint I was able to nearly center the tailpipe with the cutout. I've got approximately 3/4" clearance to the right side and top looking from the rear, and about 5/8" or so to the left side. I may try to tweak it a little more tomorrow. My son says it looks fine. He says I'm too much of a perfectionist. Go figure.
Got in an fired her up. The sound clips don't do it justice. At idle you get a nice little American Muscle rumble. A subtle, throaty rumble with rev's. Sounds good at normal acceleration. Sounds really good at wide open throttle (WOT). I tried it both ways with the windows up and down. No drone of any kind. You can appreciate the sound much better with the windows down.
And I've got to give props to Diversified Marketing. I don't know if this outfit is an individual or a business, but they delivered as promised. I sealed the deal on Monday and got the mufflers today at about 1:00 pm. They said they were like new with 5 miles on them. When I opened the box they looked brand new. You couldn't see any exhaust soot inside the inlet or outlet pipes. If you ran your finger inside the pipes you only got the slightest hint of discoloration. In fact when we got back fron the test drive you could smell the newness and there was a trace of break-in smoke coming from the tailpipe.
As far as performance the car seemed to pull better, but that could be attributed to my ears tricking my perception with the improved sound. Time will tell if the MPG's go up. Either way, I'm satisfied with the result, especially for a $49 investment ($88 including shipping-bought on Ebay by the way). And the duals question may have been answered. We'll see.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: One down, two to go!

what are the two to go??
Old 05-27-2006, 02:18 AM
2005Cstripe

Interesting report regarding your newly installed gt takeoff on your mustang. Like you, I also installed my gt takeoff muffler today. At about 2:15 p.m. today FedEx delivered my GT takeoff mufflers that I purchased on Ebay. I received a great deal from an ebayer. The cost of the mufflers were $20.00 plus $40.00 shipping and handling, for a total of $60.00. I believe I received a fantastic deal. Last night in preparation I uninstalled my right muffler. I had a prior arrangement schedule at 4:30 today, and it takes an hour to drive to my meeting. However sorry to get off subject. Since I received my mufflers at 2:15 p.m., I thought I did not have efficient time to install the right GT takeoff muffler. Nonetheless as eager and excited I was, I went forth and began the installation of the muffler. When I was installing the muffler I was oblivious to the time. Alas I completed the muffler installation on my mustang. And behold it only took 30 minutes like yourself. I felt accomplished and productive after the installation. The sound that the muffler produces in combonition of the 4.0 is impressive. At idle the sound from the muffler is mellow and a bit throaty. I agree with you at WOT the sound is pretty sweet. I can not wait until I take my mustang to the local muffler shop here to recieve true dual exhaust. I can not wait until I see both of the GT takeoff mufflers installed under the bumper cover. Also I noticed the mufflers were super-clean, and the seller said that they were only used for 5-10 miles. I was impressed that there existed no exhaust soot or particles in the mufflers. I hope you get to install your dual exhaust on you mustang.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:41 AM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

The two to go are the X-Cal 2 and an as yet undecided modification to the air intake. May put on the other takeoff muffler for duals for a third to do, but for now I like the sound and performance of the single. For some reason I just like the idea of people knowing that the semi-bad a$$ car they see and hear (after the two more mods are complete) is a six . The single does that. But the idea of that second muffler mounted under the bumper...

Search this Thread