Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Intake for 06 v6 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:07 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Intake for 06 v6 mustang

I have a C&L XCAL II combo and although it is not CARB certified, I doubt the CHP will be popping your hood to see what kind of intake you're running. When you're ready to get the car smogged, just put the stock system and tune back on. Trust me, I've had both the AFE and K&N and neither compare to the C&L with a good tune.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/5E11D5FEB3B046AF84A05C8F690A3203.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32397/0DCF52AC5A674E458818AEECF0E470D7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I'm in Ca too and had the same concerns as you; I wanted a CAI that didn't require a tune (or re-flash) and is CA legal. The K&N states "not legal in CA". A tune will void your warranty and with gas prices as high as they are I didn't want to burn higher than 87 octane. I ended up going with the AFE stage one; the install was easy (about half hour) and the acceleration is noticably better, I also have gotten better average MPG, currently 22.7 combined freeway/city. There is someone with a current thread who is selling an AFE very cheap, look at the last three days threads you'll find it.
ORIGINAL: lureynol

Fair enough, oh, I got a question for you in the same veign:

I too intend to buy a CAI, so what's the best one that's street legal in CA? And do the best ones really require a tune, and what are the disadvantages of said tune (warrenty wise and such)?

My goal is a combination of better performance and better mpg, and i want to stay with normal fuel.

So what's your rec?

ORIGINAL: fazm

yes, but the gains are all going to be different.
without a tune your best bet is the AFE (looks cheesey), MMR (again cheesy) K&N (full intake not just the air filter like the others).
With a tune, the TI or C&L arer your best bet.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

Personally I thought it was very informative...not to be a dick but what else is there to look at....and if a company make great gains on the v8 what makes you think they will sell them selfs short on the v6 and make a fcked up CAI for the 6 ...instead of doggin the guy why don't you post something that is informative instead of ripping the damn guy...i am still a noobie in some respect but you started as a noob at one time and he was just trying to help..

By the way I am not trying to make internet enemys...lol I just don't see the point in putting down someone statements or intents to help another person.
how is readin an ariticle on a gt intake shootout going to help him decide?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

KN is going to be your best bet but also RPMOUTLET has some good deals going on right now mine as well by a intake to get the most horsepower cause once you do one mod you will be wanting another..........get the bundle package
Old 05-29-2006, 01:31 PM
lureynol
1st Gear Member

Thanks man, I'll take a look around for it

ORIGINAL: beaustang

I'm in Ca too and had the same concerns as you; I wanted a CAI that didn't require a tune (or re-flash) and is CA legal. The K&N states "not legal in CA". A tune will void your warranty and with gas prices as high as they are I didn't want to burn higher than 87 octane. I ended up going with the AFE stage one; the install was easy (about half hour) and the acceleration is noticably better, I also have gotten better average MPG, currently 22.7 combined freeway/city. There is someone with a current thread who is selling an AFE very cheap, look at the last three days threads you'll find it.
ORIGINAL: lureynol

Fair enough, oh, I got a question for you in the same veign:

I too intend to buy a CAI, so what's the best one that's street legal in CA? And do the best ones really require a tune, and what are the disadvantages of said tune (warrenty wise and such)?

My goal is a combination of better performance and better mpg, and i want to stay with normal fuel.

So what's your rec?

ORIGINAL: fazm

yes, but the gains are all going to be different.
without a tune your best bet is the AFE (looks cheesey), MMR (again cheesy) K&N (full intake not just the air filter like the others).
With a tune, the TI or C&L arer your best bet.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:36 PM
harrison
1st Gear Member

Ditto on the C&L. Replaced the K&N and it is really well worth it. There is a huge difference!!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

I am about to do the same...replacing my existing K&N CAI for the CL CAI & SCT tuner combo...real soon!!! Can't wait!
ORIGINAL: harrison

Ditto on the C&L. Replaced the K&N and it is really well worth it. There is a huge difference!!